Main Menu

Looking to join soon

Started by davidjurss, May 05, 2008, 06:23:50 PM

davidjurss

Hello all. My name is David Jurss, and I am looking into joining soon after I get home from deployment.

I was a cadet many many years ago when I lived in Colorado Springs,CO and had to leave it when I moved. I never really got a chance to get back into the program until I thought about it again recently.

I am currently deployed to Camp Patriot Kuwait with the US Army, and I am very interested in joining a squadron once I get back to Georgia. I believe the closest unit to me is in Savannah.

Now I have a few questions that I am hoping to get answered, since I still have ALOT of time before I get back home. One of my questions is, what rank will I start out as? I have been scanning over the forum here and saw a mention of an NCO Corps. Would I start as enlisted or 2LT? Not a big deal either way, just curious.

My other question is, is it possible that HQ in Alabama would still have my records? Its been about 12 years since I was active in Colorado, so I dont know if they tend to purge records after a certain time frame.

Any info is appreciated. Thank you very much.

Flying Pig

There are several members on this forum who are in the Savannah area.  As far as joining, you would come in as a Senior Member, and after 6 months and a couple online requirements, you would be promoted to 2nd Lt.

The bit about the NCO Corps is an idea that is being thrown around.  CAP does give you the option of retaining your military enlisted grade as long as you were an NCO.  For example, if you are an Army E-5, you would come into CAP wearing USAF SSgt. rank.  And there you would stay.  Their is no enlisted promotion process in CAP.  And there are positions you are prevented from holding if you choose to stay an enlisted member.  I was a Sgt. in the Marines and came in as an officer.  I saw no reason to come in as a Senior member NCO. 

Your records, HQ may still have them.  They had mine.  If not, the unit you were with might still have them in a box somewhere. The best way would be to contact NHQ and just give them your name and see what comes up.  Being you are deployed, I dont if someone here could make that call for you.  Since you are looking at joining in the Savannah area, maybe that Sq. Comm could inquire for you?

I am all for former cadets coming back.  Especially bringing some life experience with them.  I was a former cadet myself.

ßτε

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 05, 2008, 06:38:35 PM
And there are positions you are prevented from holding if you choose to stay an enlisted member.

What positions are those?

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: bte on May 05, 2008, 07:58:39 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on May 05, 2008, 06:38:35 PM
And there are positions you are prevented from holding if you choose to stay an enlisted member.

What positions are those?

I'm assuming he is referring to Wing CC or above, based on an assumption that those positions >have< to be Colonels.  I don't believe that is the case, since the minimums to apply for the job are >guidelines< that a Region CC is free to ignore.

I don't know that this has ever come up before, but not something one has to worry about on entry - I don't see any reason why someone who chooses to turn down CAP appointment and instead display NCO grade from a different service could not be a unit or group CC.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

davedove

I haven't seen anything that prevents an NCO from assuming a command position.  What the regs say is that the member will be advanced to the appropriate officer grade upon taking command.

So, the member could have been an NCO before taking command, but will be given the officer grade upon taking it.

If the NCO really wants to stay an NCO, I guess he shouldn't accept a command position.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

davidsinn

Don't have one other than in INWG Commanders must be officers. Just what I've been told by a friend who is a CC that would rather wear his stripes but can't.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Flying Pig

OK....the guy is asking advice on joining.   He is in a place that it is probably not easy to just plop down in the internet so lets not turn this into another CAP NCO discussion.

afgeo4

Quote from: davedove on May 05, 2008, 08:27:21 PM
So, the member could have been an NCO before taking command, but will be given the officer grade upon taking it.

If the NCO really wants to stay an NCO, I guess he shouldn't accept a command position.
The person MAY be given the officer grade upon taking a command position, IF the person puts in the paperwork and IF that paperwork is approved. Advance promotions aren't guaranteed and there's NOTHING in any CAP regulations that tie in grade with position except for Wing CC and above.

However..! I don't believe that it's a custom in CAP to make an NCO a Group Commander or something... it just wouldn't work or look right and it probably wouldn't be accepted by many people. Outside agencies would have a tough time understanding why a Master Sergeant is a commander and a Lt Col is not. So in reality, it probably wold preclude the member from being a commander above the flight/squadron level.

However, to the soldier with the question... you join without grade for 6 months (probationary period) and do your level 1 initial training. Then if everything goes well, you'll be given grade of 2nd Lt or your current Army NCO grade (if you are Cpl or above). The choice is yours.
GEORGE LURYE

davidjurss

Ok thanks for answering my questions. I really appreciate that. Since I am not currently an NCO in the Army right now, I guess that makes the decision for me. Is it even possible to join while deployed...or would it be best to join while I am home?

Flying Pig

Its probably impossible.  Because that Sq. Commander needs to sign for you.  You also need to submit a fingerprint card, the unit probably has a membership board.  You are in the Army, so I would imagine you arent going to have any issues.  But you really need to be present in the initial phase. 

FlyingTerp

Quote from: davidjurss on May 06, 2008, 04:41:40 AM
...Is it even possible to join while deployed...or would it be best to join while I am home?

You can join as a patron member and then transfer to a squadron when you get home.

http://www.cap.gov/visitors/join/join_the_national_patron/