Legislative Liasion officer rank proposal

Started by RiverAux, April 18, 2008, 02:57:30 AM

RiverAux

To be fair, the posters are defending a system that already exists, not proposing the creation of something new.  The current official proposal would modify that system to require that people in the position "catch up" on PD in a reasonable period of time or risk getting demoted. 

DNall

I agree with CAP-USAF in this. Which means the policy should be more like:
Quote from: arajca on April 18, 2008, 03:13:04 AM
I think they should make a change to the proposal:
As long as the member is serving as Legislative Liasion, they can keep theri bottle caps. When the finish, they revert to the [previous or PD earned] grade

I'm also willing to discuss Col & above revert afterwards unless they complete to level 5.

And, I'd also talk about if we need all Wg CCs to be Cols. In some cases (small states) their command is more like a LtCol slot. In others (really big states) it'd be more appropriate to have them as Brig Gens so they're on the same level as the state AAGs.  that's a whole other topic though. We'll have to talk about that another time.

Gunner C

Quote from: DNall on April 22, 2008, 08:06:25 AM
I agree with CAP-USAF in this. Which means the policy should be more like:
Quote from: arajca on April 18, 2008, 03:13:04 AM
I think they should make a change to the proposal:
As long as the member is serving as Legislative Liasion, they can keep theri bottle caps. When the finish, they revert to the [previous or PD earned] grade

I'm also willing to discuss Col & above revert afterwards unless they complete to level 5.

And, I'd also talk about if we need all Wg CCs to be Cols. In some cases (small states) their command is more like a LtCol slot. In others (really big states) it'd be more appropriate to have them as Brig Gens so they're on the same level as the state AAGs.  that's a whole other topic though. We'll have to talk about that another time.
I am an unmoving proponent of no promotions to Lt Col (or higher) w/o level 5.  Period.  If you want the rank, pay the dues, get the knowledge.  No fast tracks, no special promotions (at this level).  If you're a RM Lt Col or higher, then you can come in at that level with a limit on the time you have to complete levels 2-5 (a gate for each level such as one year for each - that officer is already given credit for PME).

Legislative squadrons should be no different, IMO.

GC

Pylon

Quote from: Gunner C on April 22, 2008, 03:29:22 PM
I am an unmoving proponent of no promotions to Lt Col (or higher) w/o level 5.  Period.  If you want the rank, pay the dues, get the knowledge.  No fast tracks, no special promotions (at this level).  If you're a RM Lt Col or higher, then you can come in at that level with a limit on the time you have to complete levels 2-5 (a gate for each level such as one year for each - that officer is already given credit for PME).

You both realize that you only need Level IV for Lt Col, right?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

DNall

Quote from: Pylon on April 22, 2008, 03:56:39 PM

And level 5 for nothing. What's wrong with saying Cols. Brig Gens, MajGens need to complete level 5 as a prereq to retaining grade after their position is over? I understand they need the grade to be reflective of their position and authority while in office, but they don't need it after. If they are going to keep it, then we don't need people running around that aren't at the top of the program.

As far as advanced promotions... I do understand the need to have officers in certain positions at certain grades. If you recruit a lobbiest in the state capital, who then becomes your govt relations officer, then you can't have them going over there as a Lt. They'll get laughed out of the bldg. LtCol to Col is about the right level to act as liaison for a state level. That's the only reason that aspect of the reg exists. Obviously the grade should not be permenant after leaving the position. Otherwise I as Wg CC can just merry-go-round my buddies thru the position to rapid promote them all to LtCol. That's jacked up.

By the way, legislative squadrons are made up of members of the state legislature who caucus in support of CAP. We give them the honorary grade of LtCol, like we give members of the congressional Sq the honorary grade of Col. I don't know that the honorary grade is necessary, but it doesn't cost anything. I wouldn't suggest that they need to be forced to complete any PD requirements, much less on any timeline.

DrDave

Members of state legislatures receive the honorary rank of Major.

Members of CAP's Congressional Squadron (US Senators and Representatives) receive the honorary rank of Lt. Col.

Keep in mind the regs state such honorary positions in legislative squadrons are also open to "key staffers".

Dr. Dave
Former Chair
Legislative Committee
Missouri Wing
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

Gunner C

Yep, I sure do. I've stated it before:  this should be how PD gets tied to rank:

Lvl 1 - 2nd Lt
Lvl 2 - 1st Lt
Lvl 3 - Capt
Lvl 4 - Maj
Lvl 5 - Lt Col

GC

O-Rex

Quote from: Gunner C on April 23, 2008, 12:48:17 AM

Yep, I sure do. I've stated it before:  this should be how PD gets tied to rank:

Lvl 1 - 2nd Lt
Lvl 2 - 1st Lt
Lvl 3 - Capt
Lvl 4 - Maj
Lvl 5 - Lt Col

GC

I second that!

I got my Garber as a Capt, have a life, and am not a scholar by nature.

It's do-able, yet only a small % of Seniors achieve it.

DNall

Quote from: DrDave on April 22, 2008, 07:34:50 PM
Keep in mind the regs state such honorary positions in legislative squadrons are also open to "key staffers".
That's BS, no body even offered me LtCol. I don't know about KEY, but I was point on CAP issues for my former boss. Oh well. Better to do it the right way.