Utility of the CAP Mess Dress

Started by Pylon, October 18, 2005, 11:46:01 PM

Pylon

A little over a year ago, I went out and invested a small chunck of change in a mess dress uniform.  Even though I bought the mess dress jacket and pants used on eBay, I still had to buy the seven or so mini medals, CAP seal, shoulder boards, cumberbund, tux shirt, suspenders, and cuff links n' studs.  After all that, I still had to take the jacket to the tailor and have them change out the sleeve braid on the sleeves from shiny silver to the CAP dark blue.

After all was said and done, I was pretty pleased because, in my estimates, I only spent around $250.  Now, for a CAP uniform that is purely optional, this seems like a fair deal of pocket change.  So I'm curious as to what other members think about the mess dress uniform.  I know some will never get it, some say they might if they find themselves with cash to burn, and some are set on getting it sooner or later.

If you're an active CAP member, like myself -- I can perhaps see its worth.  I can see myself wearing it about 3 to 4, maybe more times a year.  I know I've worn it a bunch since I've gotten it.

What are your thoughts?  Worth it?  Not worth it?  Is the CAP Semi-formal blazer combo a good alternative or should the corporate equivalent maybe be a civilian tux with mini-medals attached?

Discuss.  ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Camas

I've worn a semi-formal blazer and it seems to do the trick for now.  I serve at the wing level and I'm sure that, in time, I might need to fork over the bucks and make the plunge once I figure out how to wear the mess dress.  To be honest though, I'd probably only wear it once a year.

arajca

I submitted an idea for a CAP distinctive formal/mess dress uniform. Basically it had two uniforms listed. First, a grey version of the AF mess dress. Second, a black, shawl collar tux that would be worn with the mini medals and one of the following: Chaplain's badge, Command badge, or mini wings.

Haven't heard anything back yet.

Pylon

Quote from: arajca on October 19, 2005, 01:37:54 AM
I submitted an idea for a CAP distinctive formal/mess dress uniform. Basically it had two uniforms listed. First, a grey version of the AF mess dress. Second, a black, shawl collar tux that would be worn with the mini medals and one of the following: Chaplain's badge, Command badge, or mini wings.

See, I really like the idea of the civilian tux with the black shawl collar.  First off, tuxedo's traditionally had the shawl collar to make them distinctive from your everyday suit.  The now Emmy-awards-standard notched collar just makes them like a fancy suit again, but I digress.

I like the idea of using a civilian tux for the corporate mess dress and pinning on mini medals because when a member gets one, they can use it for any formal event outside of CAP as well - just don't pin on the medals and *bam* - you've got a nice non-rental tux.  If you're going to buy something for CAP, you might as well get as much mileage out of it as you can, and making it a piece of clothing you can wear to civilian, non-CAP events as well just doubles it's worth.

arajca

Quote from: Pylon on October 19, 2005, 12:47:29 PM

See, I really like the idea of the civilian tux with the black shawl collar.  First off, tuxedo's traditionally had the shawl collar to make them distinctive from your everyday suit.  The now Emmy-awards-standard notched collar just makes them like a fancy suit again, but I digress.

I like the idea of using a civilian tux for the corporate mess dress and pinning on mini medals because when a member gets one, they can use it for any formal event outside of CAP as well - just don't pin on the medals and *bam* - you've got a nice non-rental tux.  If you're going to buy something for CAP, you might as well get as much mileage out of it as you can, and making it a piece of clothing you can wear to civilian, non-CAP events as well just doubles it's worth.

Hence the reason I included it. I also stipulated that cadets can wear it.

Pylon

Quote from: arajca on October 19, 2005, 01:08:01 PM
Quote from: Pylon on October 19, 2005, 12:47:29 PM

Hence the reason I included it. I also stipulated that cadets can wear it.

Sure, why not, it's a corporate uniform.  If a cadet has the money to plunk down for a civvie tux, there's no reason that he or she can't pin their milestone award medal on there and wear that to formal events.  Though, I think for the "bling effect" most cadets would still choose the semi-formal option.

NIN

I wind up wearing my mess dress about once a year or so.  I might get a second wearing out of it this year.. Whoo hoo! (after I finally found my cummerbuzzle, following my embarassing run-in with velcro at Skyhawk's dining out this past spring.. rrrriiiiippp..)

$250 is awfully steep for a "once a year" uniform, though.

I got the jacket for nothing from Ricecake, the trousers were a hand-me-down from a fellow officer, and I already had most of the medals (need a few more, though)

Only thing I've paid for: the alteration of the sleeves ($25 at the McGuire MCSS alteration shop), a new shirt  ($25 at a tux shop), a new set of cuff links & studs (uhhh, $12 or $15, I think?), a new bow tie ($8 or $10 at the MCSS), the darn dinner plate (Whatever the CAP Mart price is, from Lt Col Tim Doty while I was at NERSC). Oh, yeah, and the $40 or whatever the price is now for the @#$%^ Lt Col shoulderboards... Ack! (I had hand-me-down major boards when I was at NERSC..)

So, yeah, its a little steep, but if you're smart/savvy/patient, you can get most of the parts for next to nothing.  The HAFB Thrift Store was loaded with them a few years ago, but it seemed to me that they were all sized for Napoleon.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Pylon

Quote from: NIN on October 30, 2005, 12:13:23 AM
following my embarassing run-in with velcro at Skyhawk's dining out this past spring.. rrrriiiiippp..)

:o

"....was that what I think it was, sir?"   :D

fyrfitrmedic

I'll be honest - I plan to 'treat' myself to mess dress when I reach and maintain my within-specs-and-regs target weight for a bit. Yeah, it's a bit pricey, but what the hell? It's a very small part of my personal motivation plan.

Come to think of it, I'm looking forward to getting my woodland BDUs out of storage when the time comes, which is another one of those little motivation things...

What the hell, they're effective. 
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Matt

I have a question in reguards to the mess dress uniform.  Now, being a cadet within two years of being senior, I'm beginning my stock-up of uniform accounterments.  This being noted, I was out and about today, putting together a couple new sets of BDUs and stumbled upon a nice set of AF mess dress, officer style.  Now, here's the question: Does CAP wear the officer style or the enlisted style mess dress.  I didn't buy it because of my bliss on this.  The officers' style, for the AF has a silver braid on the sleeve, whereas, unless I'm misreading, we're supposed to have a dark blue braid.  How exactly does this work out?  Tailored (obviously), or is there a CAP version of the mess dress?
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

MIKE

CAP officers (FO-Maj Gen) wear the officer style.  You would have to remove the silver braid on the cuffs and replace it with the same style of blue braid worn on the service coat cuffs.  Also... The shoulder boards have blue braid instead of the sliver.

The CAP Bookstore used to offer the mess dress uniform configured for CAP... Now you have to get them from AAFES MCSS or eBay and modify it yourself.

Mike Johnston

BillB

If you look on eBay, and  find Mes Dress, make sure you're getting the current dark blue version and not the black mes dress. I have a set of Mess Dress I'll be putting on ebay in a few weeks. Another problem with mess dress on eBay, most mess dress uniforms don't appear to have a label with the size, often all you can do is see approximate sizes.

eBay - usaf, uniform, usaf, uniform Militaria, Current Militaria 1991-Now, Vietnam 1961-
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

md132

Here is another thing about mess dress.  Basically when you purchase a mess dress uniform it is set for enlisted.  The only difference is the sleeve braid and a piece of material that I was told is for the mess dress shoulder boards.  Even though I'm still not sure how they are suppose to hold the boards.  I made the mistake of throwing away that piece of material and holding the boards with velcro. 

Matt

Awsome, thank you...  Basically just need to mod it out as to wear it when the time comes....  :(
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>