Linking Professional Development to ES qualifications

Started by RiverAux, April 09, 2008, 10:34:54 PM

RiverAux

I think that I'm on pretty firm ground when I say that most senior members join CAP to participate in the ES program.  Yes, there are a tiny dedicated minority of members who focus on cadet programs and that 1 guy in each wing that is a gung-ho AE person. 

Since ES is where most seniors want to go, I think that we could increase participation in the professional development program by linking it to specific ES qualifications.  The higher your PD level, the most ES positions are open to you. 

Those seniors who just want to do AE/Cadets don't have to go through the PD unless they want to, but most seniors would have a strong incentive to participate in PD. 

How would it work?  Well, I don't think we need to match up all ES positions with a PD level, just place them in the ES system where they would do the most good. 
For example:

Observer/Mission Pilot/Ground Team Leader -- Must complete Level II (SLS/Tech rating/ECI 13).   People in these positions are expected to be able to exert leadership over small groups and the training provided by the Level II program should aid in that. 

Planning Section Chief -- Must complete Level III At this level and above you are responsible for leading 50-100 or more people during a mission which requires a significant amount of organizational capability.  The Level III training should provide that. 

Now, I am going to wimp out and would not propose requiring Level IV for any of the higher jobs primarily because it requires you to attend RSC, which is not available in most states, though there are some alternatives which are not entirely satisfactory to me.

So, my proposal would basically result in a strong majority of officers having at least completed Level II and wilth all upper level mission staff completing Level III (and therefore being Majors). 

By making sure almost everybody completes Level II it would somewhat ease any problems associated with special appointments up to the Captain level -- they mayget those bars right away, but won't get to do anything fun until they complete what everyone else has done to earn them. 

Also, it may help our ES performance by actually requiring members to complete at least some leadership training before taking on leadership roles in sometimes dangerous, and often difficult situations. 

So, using this method we have provided a strong encouragement to get people involved in PD without beating them over the head or kicking them out.  It won't help us get more people into Levels IV or V, but I'm not too worried about that.

Fireball

You know, now that I think about it, the fact that the ES training itself does not have much leadership development in it has kind of been nagging me. I just couldn't put my finger on it. I believe your proposal has merit in developing a more professional force.
R. N. Brock, Maj, CAP
NCWG

lordmonar

I would agree if CAP PD program was worth anything for developing small unit leadership....but as it is....it just is not up to the task.

You also have to address the non-ES specialty track required for PD progression.

Also the Planning Section Cheif is not leading 50-100 people....but only 5 or so.

ICS span of control and all that.  :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

The CAP PD program is not specifically focused on small unit leadership, but leadership in general.  Is it the best training out there?  No.  Should it be improved? Yes.  But, in the meantime it does have some value in this area. 

With most PD tracks you do actually have to demonstrate some skills in order to complete it and move up.  I don't think it is important that most of the tracks don't relate to ES. 

PSC isn't leading 50-100 people, but he/she is an integral part in figuring out what they are going to be doing and this requires a high level of organizational skill that should be at least somewhat developed by someone completing Level III in the PD program. 

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

DNall

Quote from: lordmonar on April 10, 2008, 12:13:40 AM
I would agree if CAP PD program was worth anything for developing small unit leadership....but as it is....it just is not up to the task.

You also have to address the non-ES specialty track required for PD progression.

Also the Planning Section Cheif is not leading 50-100 people....but only 5 or so.

ICS span of control and all that.  :)

I agree with this, but I also tend to agree with river as well.

The idea has some real merit. If you limit advanced ES positions by PD level, then grade starts being more practical in the operational sense. That clears up some confusion, or at least some of the complaints I've heard around here.

However, I'm completely with lordmanor here as well. Our PD program is woefully inadequate. It doesn't take people with no skills & give them the leadership/mgmt skills they need to be successful at each progressive level. That's always been an issue in ES, and in local units or CAP in general. The program needs a whole whole lot of work, then I'm with you on connecting it to some positions, both ES & organizationally, because then you're talking about having the skills for the job & not some checklist BS from sitting thru a few boring weekends.

Far as that span of control comment, it's not the number of people, but the combination of people, resources, & importance of the task that are ultimately effected down chain by your decisions.

RiverAux

Have you looked at SLS and CLC lately?  They have made a real attempt to focus these classes on developing leadership skills rather than just knowing what each staff officer does.   Could it be even better?  Sure, but it is not worthless. 

As Voltaire said, "The perfect is the enemy of the good".  Accept the fact that we're not going to see any more major changes in the CAP PD program for a while considering what we've just done.  Lets work with what we have rather than waiting for CAP to develop some 160 hour basic officer course. 

Short Field

You are trying to compare apples and oranges.  I think the ICS training will do more to improve ES qualifications in the long run than PD. 

I like the PD program but it only takes three days (and in some wings only two days) to complete both SLS and CLC.  Each course tends to only run 1 1/2 days each and are taught in some places as a one eight hour day. 

It took five days to complete ICS 300 and ICS 400 - and it was all focused on conducting operations.  Add in the five day National SAR Planners course and you start to get some real training.  Then add a requirement that to be signed off as fully qualified on a position - you have to work two missions (operational periods) as "the person in charge" in that position and be evaluated - not just a trainee going through the motions.  That would up it to four missions for a sign-off.

As for leadership training, nothing in the current SLS or CLC is going to produce a leader.  It will give some people a clue as to what they don't know or help other people learn some techniques, but both courses are way too light and too short to have a major impact on the participants.   

CAP's best hope for leadership training is to have the senior leaders (however you want to define them - Sqdn level or above) mentor less senior people and develop them.  This takes time and there is no quick fix.  The EZ button is only on TV.

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

DNall

Quote from: RiverAux on April 10, 2008, 02:08:24 AM
Have you looked at SLS and CLC lately?  They have made a real attempt to focus these classes on developing leadership skills rather than just knowing what each staff officer does.   Could it be even better?  Sure, but it is not worthless. 

As Voltaire said, "The perfect is the enemy of the good".  Accept the fact that we're not going to see any more major changes in the CAP PD program for a while considering what we've just done.  Lets work with what we have rather than waiting for CAP to develop some 160 hour basic officer course. 

Yes I have looked at it & it's a joke bud. I appreciate the effort, but they're not taking raw clay & making real world leaders. The education level reached by the end of RSC is not equiv to any military commissioning source (minus the tactical & PT aspects).

We're simply not making leaders in any way shape or form. What we're doing is the same thing we do with pilots. We don't have a pilot training program, we depend on recruiting people with that skill to come in & share it with us at their expense. Ok, that makes sense for something like pilot training that's massively expensive. It doesn't make sense for leader/manage development which the military is the absolute world leader at & frankly is not expensive to deliver to at least select members. Also, we have enough competent pilots, while we're insanely short of trained leaders at each progressive level from GTL/MP to IC to DCC/Sq CC all the way to Nat CC.

Quote from: Short Field on April 10, 2008, 05:06:59 AM
You are trying to compare apples and oranges.  I think the ICS training will do more to improve ES qualifications in the long run than PD. 
That's tactical operating procedures stuff, not leadership.

When a first responder agency sends a deputy chief to some courses so they can certify as say an OSC, it's not the courses that make them competent & capable to serve in that role. They didn't become deputy chief by taking some course & hanging around a while.  Kind of the same thing with military officers or NCOs. There's extensive education & TIS sure, but there's also boards/interviews & merit based promotions to the leadership position that puts them in the place where they're the person that needs this training.

What i mean is, yes, we do need to do the NIMS compliance stuff full bore. However, that will help make competent or at least qualified tactical level operators. It doesn't make leaders. It certainly doesn't ensure the people in leadership roles are trained or competent as leaders by any standards, much less standards that stack up against the agencies/mil we deal with operationally, or would like to anyway. If we want to step up to the plate, we need to bring a team that can play on that level. Not show up with little league versus the Yankees and complain we can't get in the game.

Larry Mangum

Linking professional development to ES is not a bad idea, however I have to agree with those who believe that CAP does not train leaders. 

While we have a very structured program to teach cadets how to be leaders, we flat out don't teach seniors how to be leaders.  It is assumed rather wrongly, that the adults who join CAP are already trained in leadership and just need to be taught about CAP and the duties of various positions.  We all now that that assumption in most cases is fault.

Now on to the discussion at hand, in my humble opinion, there is very little correlation between ES and the materials taught in SLS, CLC, UCC, TLC or even RSC.  I have attended or taught at all of those schools. On the other hand, I have attend the SMC, Inland SAR, ICS 300, ICS 400 and the majority of the other ICS course required to be an IC and can definitely state that the majority of those course should be required courses for anyone who plans on progressing in ES and serving as mission staff.  Some will or are already mandated for progression in the ES specialty ratings, others like SMC and Inland SAR should be mandatory for those wishing to be command or general staff in ES.

Probably what we should be discussing is, wither with all the new requirements if it is even possible to not only become truly qualified as a command or general staff officer under ICS and to wither it is truly possible to stay current and  qualified with the time commitment it now takes and the funds it takes as well.  CAP training budgets are getting smaller not larger and while it does not take a lot of funds to run table top exercises, unless we conduct exercises with the organizations we are going to support, and prove we can function under ICS and as a team player, we will not be utilized by the very organization that we can act as a force multiplier for.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

capchiro

I have mixed feelings on this as mission pilots and observers have plenty of hoops to jump through to get qualified already and i doubt if there are many mission pilots that want to earn their tech rating as PAO, plus wait for an SLS and wait to get and complete their ECI13.  It just doesn't seem practical from that viewpoint, plus most pilots, observers aren't leading anything, unless they want to be more active and take on a bigger role.  I suggest we quit trying to add to the requirements that are already their and just try to make it possible to accomplish the ones in place.  It can quite easily take a new member a year or more to become observer qualified depending upon the training offered in their local/wing at this time.  Why add more to the plate??
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Short Field

Quote from: DNall on April 11, 2008, 08:14:04 AM
Yes I have looked at it & it's a joke bud. I appreciate the effort, but they're not taking raw clay & making real world leaders. The education level reached by the end of RSC is not equiv to any military commissioning source (minus the tactical & PT aspects).

There is no CAP program that is going to ever equal a commissioning source.   Most CAP members do not have the time and money to devote to a real leadership training program. 

CAP will always have to work with what walks in the door - that is what volunteer organizations do.  We can provide a place for people to further develop their leadership skills and self-confidence.  But linking PD to ES quals does nothing to improve our ES capability.
Wilson #2640

FW

I know I'm walking on thin ice here but, I think ES and PD are linked already.
My thought is; given a specialty track in operations, or communications etc, PD achievement advances do require advancement in the specialty.  The requirements are specific and separate from the leadership component of PD.  We can improve the relationship but, I think this is still the best way to go. 

I agree leadership training however, IMHO, still needs improvement.  I've been to every leadership development program in CAP from my first days as a C/B to NSC.
I've also attended the Army's Officer Basic and Advanced Courses and completed the  AF SOS correspondence course.  To me, they pretty much all said the same thing about leadership.  And no matter what rebuttal anyone can think of, I learned more about leadership from my "mentors" than in any class room environment.  Of course, falling on my butt a few times helps the learning process quite a bit.  Nothing trains better than real time experience.  We need to identify our best leaders and plead with them, yes plead, to be mentors to our new guys. They can give us continued guidance and help us improve in all things CAP. 
That is the hardest part of PD; finding the help and be willing to absorb it.

RiverAux

QuoteBut linking PD to ES quals does nothing to improve our ES capability.
The primary reason I proposed this was not to improve our ES capacity, but to improve participation in the PD program.  Any benefits to the ES program are secondary. 

DNall

Quote from: wawgcap on April 11, 2008, 04:56:10 PM
there is very little correlation between ES and the materials taught in SLS, CLC, UCC, TLC or even RSC.  I have attended or taught at all of those schools. On the other hand, I have attend the SMC, Inland SAR, ICS 300, ICS 400 and the majority of the other ICS course required to be an IC and can definitely state that the majority of those course should be required courses for anyone who plans on progressing in ES and serving as mission staff.

That's technical training in a tactical skill set. Obviously you need to know the work. Being competent doesn't accomplish the mission. Taking that technical skill & pairing it with leadership/mgmt skills then delivering it on your peers/superiors/subordinates is what accomplishes a task. I would agree with you that we need to do more in terms of technical training within ES. That's still completely useless without the other part of the equation though. It might be fine dealing with CAP, but that won't play in the multi-agency world, including with the AF - which speaks to your other comments, which I also tend to agree with.

Quote from: Short Field on April 12, 2008, 12:02:41 AM
There is no CAP program that is going to ever equal a commissioning source.   Most CAP members do not have the time and money to devote to a real leadership training program. 

CAP will always have to work with what walks in the door - that is what volunteer organizations do.  We can provide a place for people to further develop their leadership skills and self-confidence.  But linking PD to ES quals does nothing to improve our ES capability.

Are we that helpless, and have that little faith in our members?

The National Guard does a very good job in a program that doesn't take any more time than a CAP member puts in per year. ACA does a pretty good job. How is that significantly different than CAP? There's a few dozen superb leadership/management development programs in the non-profit & business world that are absolutely top notch.

I'm tired of bringing people in here & taking from them - taking their money, their time, their dedication. I'm tired of CAP not performing even close to its potential because we don't have enough capable people to make that happen. We have plenty of great people with great hearts, plenty of smart capable people, but we're not doing anything to take that raw material & turn it into what we need. I'd like to be able to give something back to our members. I'd like them to be able to turn CAP into what it could be for one thing, but I'd also like them to benefit in their civilian lives from the leadership development they get here, in the same way that military leaders do when they take their leadership to the marketplace.

We can do that. It doesn't take any more time than we're already spending. It doesn't take millions of dollars from the govt or hundreds from a member. It just takes the will to make it happen.

Quote from: FW on April 12, 2008, 12:49:28 AM
My thought is; given a specialty track in operations, or communications etc, PD achievement advances do require advancement in the specialty.  The requirements are specific and separate from the leadership component of PD.  We can improve the relationship but, I think this is still the best way to go. 
You got that backwards. In order to progress within a couple specific specialty tracks you must also progress within aspects of ES. It doesn't follow that in order to progress in ES you must progress within any specialty track, much less any PD course.

QuoteI agree leadership training however, IMHO, still needs improvement.  I've been to every leadership development program in CAP from my first days as a C/B to NSC.
I've also attended the Army's Officer Basic and Advanced Courses and completed the  AF SOS correspondence course.  To me, they pretty much all said the same thing about leadership.  And no matter what rebuttal anyone can think of, I learned more about leadership from my "mentors" than in any class room environment.  Of course, falling on my butt a few times helps the learning process quite a bit.  Nothing trains better than real time experience.  We need to identify our best leaders and plead with them, yes plead, to be mentors to our new guys. They can give us continued guidance and help us improve in all things CAP. 

Of course quality mentors are critical in any development process, as are the instructors in a classroom environment.

Now, just humor me here as a leadership problem... what if I give you a scenario where we have this organization of dedicated people, and we can deliver them training, but we don't have adequate mentors to place them with. We have a bunch of airman with no officer or NCOs & we need a total force - a lot like the process we're going through building up the Afghan and to a lesser extent the Iraqi Armies right now. I'm open minded, tell me how you solve that.

Short Field

Quote from: DNall on April 12, 2008, 03:25:21 AM
The National Guard does a very good job in a program that doesn't take any more time than a CAP member puts in per year. ACA does a pretty good job. How is that significantly different than CAP? There's a few dozen superb leadership/management development programs in the non-profit & business world that are absolutely top notch.

We are discussing linking Professional Development to ES qualifications. 

What other programs (as refered to above) are you talking about and how many hours over what time frame are committed to the programs?    If you attended every meeting of my last squadron, from start to finish, for a year - you would have committed a grand total of 24 hours to CAP.    The National Guard doesn't take any more time than that?
Wilson #2640

Short Field

Quote from: DNall on April 12, 2008, 03:25:21 AM
[
Quote from: FW on April 12, 2008, 12:49:28 AM
You got that backwards. In order to progress within a couple specific specialty tracks you must also progress within aspects of ES.

Which tracks and what is the link to ES Ops Quals?  Sources please.  The closest specific requirement I have found is the Master rating in the ES track requires completion of the National SAR Planners Course.  It does not require any specific achievement in ES - just a ES qualification.  MSA counts - maybe even just GES - put no requirement to progress in ES - just hold an ES qualification.
Wilson #2640

ZigZag911

While the details need to be smoothed out, I like the idea of linking ES quals to the middle levels of PD....it will guarantee that all our folks have at least some leadership training. It will also ensure that there is some standardization in that training.

SarDragon

Quote from: Short Field on April 12, 2008, 03:56:54 AMWhich tracks and what is the link to ES Ops Quals?  Sources please.  The closest specific requirement I have found is the Master rating in the ES track requires completion of the National SAR Planners Course.  It does not require any specific achievement in ES - just a ES qualification.  MSA counts - maybe even just GES - put no requirement to progress in ES - just hold an ES qualification.

According to the CAPP 200 series pubs I D/L'd 3/28/08, the only ES requirements for any PD rating are for Emergency Services, 213. The Tech rating requires GES, and be continuously qualified in an ES specialty for one year. Senior and Master ratings require longer periods of qualification (3 yrs, and 5 yrs, respectively).
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Quote from: RiverAux on April 12, 2008, 02:23:16 AM
QuoteBut linking PD to ES quals does nothing to improve our ES capability.
The primary reason I proposed this was not to improve our ES capacity, but to improve participation in the PD program.  Any benefits to the ES program are secondary. 

Then let's not do it.

MISSION!

Let's keep an eye on our mission.

We do not do PD for PD's sake but to ensure (in theory) that we have competent officers to do the MISSION.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP