Lifesaving Ribbon

Started by SSgt Rudin, March 29, 2008, 04:15:27 AM

SSgt Rudin

ok, so I just noticed that there is no silver prop.  ::)
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

nesagsar

GPVIIOps

Quote from: DC on March 29, 2008, 12:44:13 PM
For the typical person, no. However, if you think about people in a medical or public service career, doctors, nurses, firefighters, EMTs, cops, etc. Don't you think the number of repeat awards might get a little rediculous?

As a Firefighter, I don't think I qualify for this while I am at work. It is what I get paid to do and not really anything over and beyond in service. Over the years I have assisted in the "saving of life" with others on my crew, but I have never put in for this.
"If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how ought all the gods honor the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"  ~John Godfrey Saxe

Jolt

The last two I saw awarded were for involvement in EMS.  The first award was for a volunteer EMT that was the first first responder on scene and started CPR on the patient before the ambulance arrived.  The second was for an EMS explorer on a ride along that did chest compressions for someone in cardiac arrest under the instruction of the crew.

Then again, cardiac arrests aren't things that occur every day in every town.

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: Jolt on March 31, 2008, 12:07:13 AM
The last two I saw awarded were for involvement in EMS.  The first award was for a volunteer EMT that was the first first responder on scene and started CPR on the patient before the ambulance arrived.  The second was for an EMS explorer on a ride along that did chest compressions for someone in cardiac arrest under the instruction of the crew.

1. Was the Volunteer EMT on duty at the time or just happened to be passing by?
2. I wouldn't consider an EMS Explorer a "Life Saving Professional"
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

Jolt

That particular EMS organization is part of the fire department and the volunteer EMT responded directly to the scene when he heard the call on the radio.

Timothy

<Edited to stay more or less on topic>

I think the Lifesaving medal should stay at its current requirements, but allow multiple awards. MAYBE have a device differentiate between awards for CAP and non-CAP actions.

But I've got to agree with Riveraux on this one... SMOV, and BMOV should be for actions while on cap duty only.

These people that do great things outside CAP should be recognized, but there are plenty of civic, city, and state organizations and awards for that.

All high military and organizational medals of valor require that the act be in the line of duty. The exception to that is the AF lifesaving medal... and our lifesaving medal seems to already fill that roll.

If I'm getting a sub at the local sandwich shop after hitting the beach... and someone falls over and I give them CPR... they come to, everyone is happy, I get my sub and go home. Subway may give me a lifetime sandwich supply, and the city of Long Beach may give me the key to the city, but why would I expect an aerospace education and search and rescue corporation to give me a medal? The two just seem so unrelated.

BSA and ROTC both award non-related acts of valor... but neither organization are in the business of saving lives. CAP is... we do search and rescue, find crash sites, etc., and can, and are in a position where lives are at stake, so our medals should be held for actions in the line of duty. What constitutes the line of duty is up for someone further up the "O" chain than I.
Long Beach Squadron 150
PCR-CA-343

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: Timothy on March 31, 2008, 05:42:41 PM
All high military and organizational medals of valor require that the act be in the line of duty. The exception to that is the AF lifesaving medal... and our lifesaving medal seems to already fill that roll.

While It may not be a valor award I have seen an E-4 get awarded the Meritorious Service Medal for taking 2 weeks of leave to assist the American Red Cross in New Orleans directly following Katrina. The only other times I have seen the Meritorious Service Medal awarded is for a Commanding Officer's or a Command Master Chief's end of tour award.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

arajca

How would you define CAP duty? Meetings and activities only? Missions? What about when I am runnig errands for CAP? Travel to and from meetings, activities, etc? What about combined errands - some personal, some CAP - in one trip?

It is easy for the military to define line of duty. Not so easy for us.

Gunner C

Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on April 01, 2008, 04:57:22 AM
Quote from: Timothy on March 31, 2008, 05:42:41 PM

While It may not be a valor award I have seen an E-4 get awarded the Meritorious Service Medal for taking 2 weeks of leave to assist the American Red Cross in New Orleans directly following Katrina. The only other times I have seen the Meritorious Service Medal awarded is for a Commanding Officer's or a Command Master Chief's end of tour award.

In Special Forces the running joke was that you had to get killed to get Meritorious Service Medal.  (Everyone who was zapped in Latin America got an MSM, later upgraded to Purple Hearts and BSMs/SS).  It was usually for the RASH troops - they didn't pay nearly as high a price.

You'll never have an even standard for stuff like this.  It's in the eye of the commander - the commander has the yea/nea on if it gets submitted or even approved.

GC

Slim

Quote from: Jolt on March 31, 2008, 12:07:13 AM

They don't?  My service averages at least one every day.
Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on March 31, 2008, 01:31:18 AM
1. Was the Volunteer EMT on duty at the time or just happened to be passing by?
2. I wouldn't consider an EMS Explorer a "Life Saving Professional"

Quote from: Jolt on March 31, 2008, 02:17:26 AM
That particular EMS organization is part of the fire department and the volunteer EMT responded directly to the scene when he heard the call on the radio.

Shame on him (or her) for accepting a CAP CoRLS for something that was done as part of their job.  Volunteer or not, that community, and that person, were paying for him to be there to provide that service.  Performing CPR is not what I consider duty above and beyond; that's just part of the job when working EMS.  So is doing a search of a burning building and finding a victim to rescue, if you're a firefighter.  Status (paid or volunteer) has nothing to do with it.  Either way, your community is expecting you to be the "Someone" in the phrase "Someone has to do something."

The explorer is kind of iffy to me.  Again, if it's part of the normal expectations of being an explorer, then it doesn't meet the "Above and beyond" litmus test.

I would never even think of accepting an award for something I did on the job.  If so, I would have qualified for six Lifesaving certificates.  I don't need a rare ribbon on my rack to know what I did; the knowledge that six people are alive and walking  because I was in the right place at the right time, is enough for me.

Slim