Navy Blue Cloth Insignia?

Started by JayT, February 22, 2008, 12:42:46 AM

JayT

I'm placing an order on Vanguard, and I see under 'Insignia' for Senior Members they have cloth insignia in both Navy Blue and Ultramarine Blue. What's the difference?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

jeders

Navy is darker. :D

Also the Navy embroidered insignia is used on the blue flight suit so it matches.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Stonewall

Quote from: jeders on February 22, 2008, 12:45:54 AM

Also the Navy embroidered insignia is used on the blue flight suit so it matches.

Does it match better with the BBDUs too?
Serving since 1987.

JayT

Quote from: Stonewall on February 22, 2008, 12:49:45 AM

Well, I wear the BBDUs and the Utility suit, but all of my tapes and stuff on the BBDUS are Ultramarine. Did I miss an ICL?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

jeders

Quote from: JThemann on February 22, 2008, 12:55:33 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on February 22, 2008, 12:49:45 AM

Well, I wear the BBDUs and the Utility suit, but all of my tapes and stuff on the BBDUS are Ultramarine. Did I miss an ICL?

No. Navy insignia is only for the dark blue NOMEX flight suit and dark blue utility uniform. It would make to much sense to have dark blue insignia on the BBDUs.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

mynetdude

isn't the dark blue ultility uniform also known as the dark blue BDUs?

Hawk200

Quote from: mynetdude on February 25, 2008, 07:43:16 PM

No. The Blue utility uniform is basically a flightsuit pattern coverall that isn't made of Nomex.

Look at page 78 of 39-1.

SarDragon

Quote from: mynetdude on February 25, 2008, 07:43:16 PM

No, The utility uniform is one piece, coverall style. BBDUs are BBDUs.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

pixelwonk

just to clarify an additional detail...
in official CAP parlance, what we call BBDUs, or Blue BDUs, are actually referred to as the CAP Field uniform.

To return to topic, the quality of dark blue insignia from the hock is not nearly as good as what vanguard provides.  the embroidery looks, well... threadbare.  VG is the better of the two on this one.
...just don't order the insignia by itself, or the shipping will kill ya. ;)

Eagle400

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 25, 2008, 07:47:05 PM
No. The Blue utility uniform is basically a flightsuit pattern coverall that isn't made of Nomex.

Look at page 78 of 39-1.

You know, I wouldn't have had a problem with the CAP utility uniform if it were the same kind worn by the USAF crew chiefs for the demonstration teams.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?  The USAF F-15 Demonstration Team, A-10 Demonstration Team, etc.

They wear black coveralls with short sleeves that resemble the flight suit.  I think this kind of coverall in dark blue would be just fine.   

SJFedor

Quote from: CCSE on March 12, 2008, 03:57:36 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on February 25, 2008, 07:47:05 PM

Look at page 78 of 39-1.

You know, I wouldn't have had a problem with the CAP utility uniform if it were the same kind worn by the USAF crew chiefs for the demonstration teams.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?  The USAF F-15 Demonstration Team, A-10 Demonstration Team, etc.

They wear black coveralls with short sleeves that resemble the flight suit.  I think this kind of coverall in dark blue would be just fine.   

It'd be nice if that utility uniform was like helicopter crews from my hospital wear. They're convertible (sleeves can be removed as needed for hot/cold weather)

http://www.flightsuits.com/uniform_classic.html

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

mikeylikey

^ Oh no.....removing your sleeves defeats the purpose of the uniform to begin with.  If you have a flash fire, your arms will get burnt.  (Note....this is the argument used by many here at CAPTALK to mandate nomex only in CAP A/C).  Mikey could care less, and I think the majority of A/C incidents involve things other than fire, so the safety issue of nomex is a mute point. 

Fedor.....can you find me a suit with zip-off legs too?  In the warmer months it would be nice to be in "shorts".   ;D
What's up monkeys?

Dragoon

Having lived through the Smurf Suit, I have a natural aversion to short sleeved jumpsuits.

JC004

Quote from: tedda on February 25, 2008, 08:24:26 PM
just to clarify an additional detail...
in official CAP parlance, what we call BBDUs, or Blue BDUs, are actually referred to as the CAP Field uniform.

I just call it "blueberry suit"

LtCol White

We used to call it the "blue trash bag" since it was so poorly sized the wearer looked like they were wearing a hefty bag.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

mynetdude

Quote from: LtCol White on March 20, 2008, 02:43:23 AM
We used to call it the "blue trash bag" since it was so poorly sized the wearer looked like they were wearing a hefty bag.

If you're talking about the light blue phased out uniform, we have a SM who still has his and never bothered to upgrade as he doesn't wear much in the way of uniforms anyhow.

He calls his the "smurf suit"

SarDragon

And that thing's been obsolete since 1 Jan 2003.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SJFedor

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 12, 2008, 06:08:01 AM
^ Oh no.....removing your sleeves defeats the purpose of the uniform to begin with.  If you have a flash fire, your arms will get burnt.  (Note....this is the argument used by many here at CAPTALK to mandate nomex only in CAP A/C).  Mikey could care less, and I think the majority of A/C incidents involve things other than fire, so the safety issue of nomex is a mute point. 

Fedor.....can you find me a suit with zip-off legs too?  In the warmer months it would be nice to be in "shorts".   ;D

If you got the money from that massive O-3 salary you wanna send my way, I'll make sure you get one.

The removable sleeves are nice, so when people get their hands/arms cut off by rotating props, the flight suit is still usable.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)