FO Rank on a Flight Suit

Started by thefischNX01, September 15, 2005, 02:53:09 AM

Matt

;D

Yeah, but until that happens we have to have the crazy regulations without real winter coats.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

WICAPMOM

In a perfect world we would all own CAP approved outer wear. (And get paid for what we do)

We need to remember that SAFETY comes first!

If we can not afford to purchase or provide CAP approved outer wear for every member then for the sake of SAFETY allowances must be made for appropriate outer wear, civilian or other, to be worn.

As long as I have been a member it has been the practice that civilian outer wear, without rank insignia, is worn completely fastened and without a cover.

The only persons with the ability to make uniform decisions are a command staff personnel, i.e. the commander of a squadron, group, wing, region, etc.; each affecting their span of command.  Certain things may be recognized at ones home unit, like a cord worn for a squadron honor cadet, but may not be recognized at the wing level.

We are required to wear a minimum uniform. This is the paragraph in M39-1 regarding the blues uniform for cadets:

I am fairly certain this is still current.  At least it was as of 6 months ago.  Keep in mind that our uniform policies are continuously changing.
Julie Anne
Major, CAP ~ Commander
Milwaukee Comp Sqdn 5 (WI-061)

MIKE

Quote from: Matt on September 16, 2005, 03:51:25 PM
If you're going to fight with regs, I'm simply going to state, remember the Safety Pledge.  Telling someone that they may not wear a coat WILL compromise a safety environment.

Not trying to pull out the big guns with the regs here.  Just pointing out that wearing civilian or otherwise unauthorized uniform outerwear is technically not authorized... To say that it is otherwise regardless of the rationale is a false statement and only serves to perpetuate the myth.

We all know that in most areas where the temperature drops below 70, commanders and safety officers turn a blind eye to these particular requirements for the safety and cost versus required uniforms concerns which have been stated already.

Quote from: Matt on September 16, 2005, 03:51:25 PMI've noted that you're from MA, you should know about crappy winter conditions, around here, they're worse.  I'm not going to lie when I say that I wear a ECWCS parka.  I wear it because it's warmer than the M-65, windproof and highly water resistant.

I've seen cases like this arise before about wearing civilian outer garments, and they were quickly put to rest when safety came into play.

Yes, I am from MA where we say that if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes... It'll get worse.

I'm not gonna lie either, I also wear an ECWCS parka with BDUs for the same reasons, but I also have an M-65, as well as lightweight blue jacket and an overcoat for wear with the service uniform.

The fact is we need to stop perpetuating the myth by providing appropriate outerwear and accessories to those that need them... I got my overcoat for 15 bucks used at Hanscom... We should be getting outerwear from DRMO or other government sources to provide to units to issue as organizational equipment. I think we should be looking at All-Weather Coats specifically since they may be worn with all service uniform combinations and even BDUs.  Either that or we need to have everyone in CAP distinctive uniforms where appropriate civilian outerwear is authorized.

JMHO, YMMV.
Mike Johnston

MIKE

Quote from: WICAPMOM on September 16, 2005, 05:36:44 PM
I am fairly certain this is still current.  At least it was as of 6 months ago.  Keep in mind that our uniform policies are continuously changing.

Looks like you are citing the 1 July 1997 CAPM 39-1... You may want to review the latest version here.
Mike Johnston

WICAPMOM

Thank you for the updated version.  I will look it over.

I just want everyone to understand that SAFETY means that if you must go outside, please dress appropriately.

Most rational personell will over look the "Purple mickey mouse cold weather rated parka" (wish I owned one   ;)) when the wind chill is 70 below.  We get that a lot in Wisconson  :(.  It may not be in the regs but at least it's warm.  I think I will top it off with blaze orange winter hat and gloves. ;D
Julie Anne
Major, CAP ~ Commander
Milwaukee Comp Sqdn 5 (WI-061)

Matt

hmmm, Wisconsin Tuxedo with the Orange...  Who's getting married?  Thought we were finished with CAP weddings for the year.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

SarDragon

Quote from: MIKE on September 16, 2005, 06:06:53 PM
The fact is we need to stop perpetuating the myth by providing appropriate outerwear and accessories to those that need them... I got my overcoat for 15 bucks used at Hanscom... We should be getting outerwear from DRMO or other government sources to provide to units to issue as organizational equipment. [nonrelevant text redacted]
Just a quick note about DRMO - most uniform items available at DRMO are there because they are not serviceable, meaning they are no longer suitable for wear by the AD folks. Since we in CAP already have an image problem, why make it worse by wearing worn out uniform items?

Another consideration is sizing - most items at DRMO are too big for half the folks we are trying to outfit.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

md132

Concerning several messages ago about going to an Army PX and getting CW5 Rank.  First, PX's do not carry rank insignia's of any kind.  Only MCSS. Second, CW5 rank insignias are NOT available in plastic casing for flight suits because AD Army CW5 wear subdued.  Third, we are NOT authorize to by Army uniform items to include rank insignias.  Just items like BDU's.  And the only rank insignias that we can get is USAF NCO insignias because they are exactly what Senior Member NCO's use.  And last the only time we can purchase items from PX/BX is when we are on TDY with Orders and MSA stating that.  If not, then it's ONLY uniform items.  This is prescribed in AR 60-90. 

1st Lt Ed Salas, CAP
MD Wing
AAFES Associate "Serving the Best Customers in the World'