CAWG involvement in the SoCal Fires

Started by flynd94, October 24, 2007, 02:12:58 PM

flynd94

So far CA OES has asked for help staffing their EOC.  They are also lining up aircraft for aerial assessment.  Just an FYI
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

I was wondering if we'd have any involvement.  Are there people helping out at the evacuation centers?

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

alice

CAWG has shifts of three people around the clock assisting other agencies at the SoCal EOC at Los Alamitos.  CAWG also has been polling for corp aircraft status to be ready for any aerial taskings.  Perhaps for damage assessment and/or transport.

No word yet if CAWG has a list of mission information officers ready to help at the Joint Information Center (JIC) FEMA will help staff in SoCal.  An assigned CAP MIO could keep the rest of us informed...

As for helping with shelters, CAP's old 1990's era MOU with the American Red Cross called for squadrons to take Red Cross classes on mass care and shelter ops to be ready to backfill Red Cross's duties.  My local squadron did that - but no word if CAP ever intends to activate that MOU with Red Cross state-wide other than asking Red Cross to support CAP exercises and missing aircraft mission bases with Red Cross food and beverage trucks.

FWIW:  That's why I joined my local Red Cross Chapter a couple of years ago.  You want to work local and national disasters in the near term, especially in the first 72 hours of even a major disaster?  Join your local Red Cross chapter.
Alice Mansell, LtCol CAP

wingnut

I sent this out to my squadron last night

I am taking this opportunity to email all squadron staff to the recent call for help from the both OES and today on CSPAN the Commander of NorthCom have committed Title 10 assets (we are one of those). Keep yourself open  to the possibility of a number of CAP Aircraft to be used for Recon and other activities.

If you wish to volunteer to be on call please call me and i will put you on our list, we may need Aircrew, all positions, photographers, etc. I repeat this is not an alert , I want to see who could be available, and willing to work.

You may not remeber the San diego fires of a few years ago, Northcom was grilled as to why they did not have assets and i remember reading part of the report, the Local communities did not ask for help (Federal law) he stated he had CAP crews available and no one asked. Big problem, I think what they need now are c130 fire bombers, and I hear the media asking about 5,000 marines, I suspect that is going to get some marines burned, they are not trained for that. Just wait and see what develops, Alice! got a shovel??

isuhawkeye

marines, and other ground military units are often used to cut fire lines.  They done usually get close to the red stuff, but they do make a big impact on containing the fire.

PHall

Quote from: isuhawkeye on October 25, 2007, 01:07:57 PM
marines, and other ground military units are often used to cut fire lines.  They done usually get close to the red stuff, but they do make a big impact on containing the fire.

The Marines are quite busy trying to keep Camp Pendleton from burning down.
As of last night over 6000 acres had burned.

RiverAux

From a news story on military.com:
QuoteA key development, he said, was the use of high-tech spy aircraft, including the unmanned Predator and Global Hawk planes as well as the U-2 and P-3 surveillance aircraft to send video and photographs in real time to firefighters on the ground.

In several cases, he said, information in streaming video sent by the surveillance planes prompted firefighters to adjust their tactics and better fight the fires. He said the Air Force will make the planes available Saturday, and the Federal Aviation Administration has also made it possible to fly the unmanned aircraft around the area - which generally sees a lot of commercial air traffic.

CAP's slide into obsolescene continues.....  where are those folks here who have been saying that this equipment is too rare and expensive to use?   That FAA will never give clearance to fly them? 

There are still and will probably continue to be plenty of local, low to medium profile missions where CAP and our capabilities are appopriate and will be used.  But the AF gets a lot more bang for the buck, both in real capabilities and public relations by using their own equipment to do this sort of work rather than going through CAP. 

Now, I wouldn't be surprised that once the flames are out and its actually more safe for our people to fly around in this area, that there probably will be some CAP aerial damage assessment.  But, we'll be taking pictures for the post-event slideshow rather than being terribly critical to responding to the disaster itself. 

wingnut

The Archer can fly a 10,000 feet and take geo referenced images, but talking about that is like talking to a brick wall. But we Can't see much through the smoke.  Truth is THE OES altready has a map making group that upgrades maps almost real time in a fire. Keep in mind, many of the Fore Fighting guys in the sky are contractors. . .  we fly FOR FREE

Flying Pig

Sq 112's airplane in Fresno and a crew were sent today for damage assessment photos.

PA Guy

This press release just came out.  I have deleted the latter portion for brevity.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Gillespie Field, San Diego.-27 October 11 AM.

The California Wing of the Civil Air Patrol was activated by the Air Force on Friday, 26 th October, in support of operations relating to the fires in California. CAP is flying reconnaissance flights in support of various Federal, Sate and local agencies.  Flight and support crews have responded from as far north as Fresno.

Two of the primary tasks assigned are searching for possible victims in areas not easily accessible by ground crews, and airborne fire damage assessment of various buildings, facilities and towers used by both the US military and numerous civilian agencies.

The initial request for CAP assistance was received from the National Operations Center at 10 AM.  The first of several CAP aircraft were in the air by 11: 30.  Flight operations continued until about 8 PM.

According to Incident Commander Major Robert Keilholtz, "The feedback we've received so far from the government has been outstanding. This mission continues the long-standing tradition of Disaster Relief activity by the members of the California Wing". Major Keilholtz is himself a fire evacuee.

Major Joseph Di Mento, a Fallbrook evacuee himself, said "This mission gives me an opportunity to help further the mission.   My family was fortunate to have escaped the conflagration in and around Fallbrook, while others lost everything they had in the fires. I'm just happy to have had people there to help us."

The Mission Base opened at 7 AM on Saturday morning at Gillespie Field, with 7 CAP aircraft and 30 members assigned.   Aircraft used are six Cessna C-182's and one Gippsland G-8 Airvan.

Flights operations are throughout San Diego, San Bernardino and Orange Counties.

Flying Pig

Quote from: wingnut on October 27, 2007, 06:59:02 PM
The Archer can fly a 10,000 feet and take geo referenced images, but talking about that is like talking to a brick wall. But we Can't see much through the smoke.  Truth is THE OES altready has a map making group that upgrades maps almost real time in a fire. Keep in mind, many of the Fore Fighting guys in the sky are contractors. . .  we fly FOR FRE

The problem is....nobody cares that we fly for free in events like this.  There are millions to be made on fire contacts, and there is money to spend.  If CAP ever tried to get in the way of private fire contracts we'd get plowed over.

wingnut

;D

True, very true. I remember in the early 60s my dads CAP unit in San Diego flew Fire Watch. Yep, kind of makes you wonder. . .

Maybe we should just sign on with the firm "BLACKWATER"

SarDragon

Quote from: PA Guy on October 27, 2007, 08:20:33 PM

This press release just came out.  I have deleted the latter portion for brevity.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Gillespie Field, San Diego.-27 October 11 AM.

The California Wing of the Civil Air Patrol was activated by the Air Force on Friday, 26 th October, in support of operations relating to the fires in California. CAP is flying reconnaissance flights in support of various Federal, Sate and local agencies.  Flight and support crews have responded from as far north as Fresno.

Two of the primary tasks assigned are searching for possible victims in areas not easily accessible by ground crews, and airborne fire damage assessment of various buildings, facilities and towers used by both the US military and numerous civilian agencies.

The initial request for CAP assistance was received from the National Operations Center at 10 AM.  The first of several CAP aircraft were in the air by 11: 30.  Flight operations continued until about 8 PM.

According to Incident Commander Major Robert Keilholtz, "The feedback we've received so far from the government has been outstanding. This mission continues the long-standing tradition of Disaster Relief activity by the members of the California Wing". Major Keilholtz is himself a fire evacuee.

Major Joseph Di Mento, a Fallbrook evacuee himself, said "This mission gives me an opportunity to help further the mission.   My family was fortunate to have escaped the conflagration in and around Fallbrook, while others lost everything they had in the fires. I'm just happy to have had people there to help us."

The Mission Base opened at 7 AM on Saturday morning at Gillespie Field, with 7 CAP aircraft and 30 members assigned.   Aircraft used are six Cessna C-182's and one Gippsland G-8 Airvan.

Flights operations are throughout San Diego, San Bernardino and Orange Counties.

The Airvan flew in in the morning; flew out in the afternoon. I think there were 5 or 6 sorties during the day, all by 182s. We shut down at 1500 due to the crappy visibility.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flynd94

Here is an email from folks running the CAWG side of things:

Since Friday, CAWG has been performing aerial reconnaissance flights for the State of California, as assigned by 1AF. We have delivered two sets of photographs (over 70 photos total) and I received an email today that quoted MajGen Morrow (the CONUS region NORAD commander) as referring to our product as "amazing". The email also noted that "CalFire is happy with the product".

At the same time, we've received great feedback from OES regarding our support of the REOC. Here's a quote: "[CAP has] done an outstanding job in supporting the REOC.  Everyone is singing their praises. I am sure the need for their support will continue and grow as we continue to use staff. They will be needed for both A and B shifts  until the REOC closes or changes its shift schedule.  Mark Bassett cannot say enough positive things about them and how much they have helped."

I think it's important that everyone take all of this in – we're being utilized for very important work and we are respected, acknowledged, and appreciated both at the state and federal levels. While it's difficult for a lot of members to arrange their schedules in a way which allows them to respond to these incidents, I would urge all CAWG members to make a best-effort. Supporting our state and local communities is some of the most meaningful work that we do.

Everyone in CAWG should be proud of the effort we've put in so far while remembering that we're a long way from being finished with our work. Our imagery was so well-liked by the state that we are now receiving several more major taskings – some of them are high priority and need to be done ASAP, and some of them are long term, potentially requiring weeks to complete. There are also smaller taskings on the way, such as transportation of equipment, etc.

As the week continues on, we will need to rely on resources from outside of Southern California. I'd ask that Central and Northern California aircrews start considering their availability all this week, and next weekend. RON funds and per-diem will be available. More instructions will be provided regarding this shortly. We will likely start accepting Northern/Central California aircrews this evening.

Thank for your support,

Seems like we are doing a great job.  Good one all of you SoCal guys/gals.  I am just waiting for the negative folks to check.   Where are you calguy or wingnut.  Hopefully, I got your names right.

Keith Stason, Capt, CAP
IC and a whole bunch more
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP

calguy

Negative? Or just the facts.
1.  I hear on Saturday we were shut down because one of our aircrews busted a TFR.
2.  Multiple pages for resources. Can't find aircrews of staff.  Also, we are begging for folks to work the EOC at Los Alamitos.

Doesn't smell all that rosey to me.

flynd94

Quote from: calguy on October 29, 2007, 10:53:43 PM
1.  I hear on Saturday we were shut down because one of our aircrews busted a TFR.
2.  Multiple pages for resources. Can't find aircrews of staff.  Also, we are begging for folks to work the EOC at Los Alamitos.

Didn't hear about an aircrew busting a TFR and, as far as multiple pages, that's life.  We are volunteers, have work and, other things going on in our lives.  It is hard to drop everything and come running.  Its how CAP has always been.  Once again, be part of the solution or shut up.

Also, don't rain on what great work we are doing.  You always want to accentuate the negative.  Why not talk about what we do and, how well we do it.  Or is that not in your agenda of bashing CAWG.  Didn't someone take away your ability to play because you don't play well with others?

Keith

PS I love how you hide behind the internet
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP

pixelwonk

To your corners...

Regardless of a few opinions, CAWG is doing fine work.  Legitimate concerns about this 'n that can be raised, but let's not lose our military bearing over it, mmkay?  You all do possess military bearing, don't you?

also, to nobody in particular...
Including one's name in a post does not mean you're cleared hot to bash others  because they chose not to.  As a matter of fact, any member trying too hard to criticize Anon users usually comes off as just a creep.
Anonymous posting is allowed on this Forum.  Every privilege afforded to named persons will apply to anons.

My salute to you all for what you're doing out there.

wingnut

Here Here

kudos to the Cap members out there busting butt, I know one guy was hauling bunkbeds for days.

I think we all want whats right for CAP and our comrades to be safe. Debate is a good thing, transparency is a must in a volunteer organization. We are about to have a change in command in CAWG on several levels, I am ready to look forward and to CONTINUE to be part of the team. Making personal demeaning remarks about any single person is unnecessary and counter productive. I f people have personal disputes take to the alley.

I am never embarrassed to Boast of my membership in this organization, when you read of our tradition and all of the men and women in CAP who have died in the line of duty you want to ask, why? who are these people?
Look in the mirror !! its us all of us.

Thanks for you guys sitting around waiting for the order to Go!

SarDragon

Quote from: calguy on October 29, 2007, 10:53:43 PM

Well, I was at Gillespie on Saturday, and no one mentioned anything like that.

Quote2.  Multiple pages for resources. Can't find aircrews of staff.  Also, we are begging for folks to work the EOC at Los Alamitos.

On Saturday morning, the EOC had three members assigned for each shift through Sunday.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

wingnut

This is a great opportunity for us to consider the many possibilities of how we can be of greater assistance to OES in the future, I defer to some of our Fireman in CAP, however, several of the OES cartographers went to Grad school with me and I am going to reconnect to see how my experience in Photo Recon and GIS will be of assistance in the future. I see an increased emphasis on Air Intel in CAP and we certainly have a number of experts in the field within our ranks.

For example: There are several programs that synchronize the Aerial photographs to a gps unit so as you fly and take pictures that picture becomes embedded in the map. You click on a pin and you have a "Georeferenced" picture, this can be done with video as well,so each video clip or picture has a lat and long embedded with it. The pictures are just thumb size quicklooks, Hi-rez can be attached in a file.
The program is just about $200.00 so is is reasonable.

If anyone is interested check out the Photo Re-con on line course with CAWG, this is a good beginning. Hopefully soon photo-re-con will be a part of the scanner SQTR.