Main Menu

101 cards

Started by PWK-GT, June 24, 2005, 05:06:54 AM

PWK-GT

I just got my e-services ES testing completed--all 6 tests. I have the correct color paper to print the 101 card, but does anybody know how clear the uploaded pictures are? Also, can you just paste on a 'passport' photo--or is that verboten?? I assume if it is laminated, nobody cares?
Also, do you just cut off the code/ glossary on the far right side, or does this thing get folded a certain way?
Thanks to all......
"Is it Friday yet"

Pylon

Quote from: griggs5113 on June 24, 2005, 05:06:54 AM
I just got my e-services ES testing completed--all 6 tests. I have the correct color paper to print the 101 card, but does anybody know how clear the uploaded pictures are? Also, can you just paste on a 'passport' photo--or is that verboten?? I assume if it is laminated, nobody cares?
Also, do you just cut off the code/ glossary on the far right side, or does this thing get folded a certain way?
Thanks to all......

Well, I don't believe there is any right or wrong way on this, except maybe what happens to be the way most people do it.   There's definitely no reg that says what type of picture to put on it or what way to fold it.  Do it what looks best, unless there's a local SOP that's more specific.  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Pace

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that pasting a photo on your 101 card may not be kosher.  Currently, squadron commanders have to approve pictures that are uploaded to e-services to make sure they meet uniform standards and common decency.  I guess the way around that is to get your Sq/CC's blessing if you want to laminate a pic onto your 101 card.

As for the glossary, I fold mine back so that I have it in case I need it, even though I have most ratings memorized.  I also fold my 101 card to where it's the size of the membership card so lamination is not an option for me.
Lt Col, CAP

arajca

You should upload your photo to eServices. After your commander approves it (yes, Cadet Doe has natural pink hair and purple eyes  ;D), it will print out on the CAPF 101.

As for laminating/folding, I cut the card out along the printed borders, removing the definitions, folded it so the face is full (the front and back are different widths) and laminated it. I keep the definitions in my wallet in case I need them.

PWK-GT

OK---but as before, "What kind of quality does the uploaded picture end up with --with that orange-ish paper?"

Jim
"Is it Friday yet"

whatevah

everybody I've seen uses white paper.  I think that's the standard for the new cards, now.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

SarDragon

There are tricks available to print a yellow background on white paper, but they require Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Illustrator, not the cheapest programs.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

Actually, you can do it with Reader and Paint Shop Pro.
Use the image selection tool in Reader, copy the card, paste into Pain Shop Pro (or othre graphic editing program) and fill the background with the appropriate shade of yellow. Print on card stock and presto! yellow CAPF 101.

The picture is 72 dpi, I think. Web standard.

Pace

The Louisiana Wing uses their own version of the 101 card.  It's blue, but it doesn't have the different levels of IC, AL, and GT.  They also incorporate the CAPF 76 (? - radio operator's permit) onto the LAWG 101 card.
Lt Col, CAP

Pylon

Quote from: dcpacemaker on June 25, 2005, 12:49:12 AM
The Louisiana Wing uses their own version of the 101 card.  It's blue, but it doesn't have the different levels of IC, AL, and GT.  They also incorporate the CAPF 76 (? - radio operator's permit) onto the LAWG 101 card.

Do LAWG members also carry a CAPF 101, in addition to their LAWGF 101?

Cmdbuddy

Quote from: Pylon on June 25, 2005, 12:50:50 AM
Quote from: dcpacemaker on June 25, 2005, 12:49:12 AM

Do LAWG members also carry a CAPF 101, in addition to their LAWGF 101?

Nope... and they used to be pink!  Ack!
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

BlueLakes1

KYWG still issues a blue card, but it's a standard 101 card. Nothing special.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

PWK-GT

Ahhhhhhh, standardization!!
It appears (at least in GLR) that every fiefdom has it's own policy. My CO gave me the yellow paper to use, my Group ES officer said use a passport photo if I want- he'll laminate it, and other states in the Region use their own colors.........YIPPEE! ::)
"Is it Friday yet"

Cadet Bonnett

the cards can only be found on e-services rihgt. If so... What am i supppose to do. My computer isnot working and i can't get my password to work.
Cadet A1C Christin Bonnett
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

El Campamento del Ala de NH aquí yo vengo.

PWK-GT

Do you have any friends w/ a functioning computer / printer? You can still input your CAP ID / password and print off of theirs......
;D
However, any issues you have with a bad password still need to be addressed. Is it because of your computer? Or is it something else......
"Is it Friday yet"

Cadet Bonnett

Quote from: griggs5113 on June 26, 2005, 02:33:17 AM
Do you have any friends w/ a functioning computer / printer? You can still input your CAP ID / password and print off of theirs......
;D
However, any issues you have with a bad password still need to be addressed. Is it because of your computer? Or is it something else......
to be honest i don't know. I have tried on 8 diffrent computers and nothing seems to work. I have tried every password i have for everything else and nothing is working. It is so confusing. I just can't seem to make it work. I have tried several things. I trie to log on with my friends cellphone and that doesn't even work. I don't know what to do.
  I even tried logging on for the NH Wing Web Site and that doesn't even work...
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

Pylon

Quote from: Christin on June 26, 2005, 02:36:05 PM
;D
to be honest i don't know. I have tried on 8 diffrent computers and nothing seems to work. I have tried every password i have for everything else and nothing is working. It is so confusing. I just can't seem to make it work. I have tried several things. I trie to log on with my friends cellphone and that doesn't even work. I don't know what to do.

Sounds like it has nothing to do with your computer and everything to do with not knowing your password.

Like it says right there on the website at capnhq.gov, Contact the CAP Webmaster (webmaster@capnhq.gov) for password assistance.  I suggest trying that.

Skyray

I just dug up two ES qualification cards of mine, one "Expires 1997" from Florida. and one "Expires 1999" from North Carolina. They are both on the yellow stock and laminated with picture. I didn't laminate either one of them.  They are virtually identical, except North Carolina blacked out what you didn't have, and Florida circled what you did have.  Both were issued in this form, complete with picture, by the Wing ES officer.  Things have probably changed.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

Cadet Bonnett

if you didn't laminate them then who exactly did...
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

arajca

Until recently, the yellow, hand assembled/marked CAPF 101 were the standard. Colorado does not recognize them (iaw National policies) as valid. Only the white, computer generated ones are recognized in CO.

Wings used to laminate the CAPF 101's when they made them up.

pixelwonk

Quote from: Cheergirl on June 26, 2005, 02:36:05 PM
;D

Ok, this maybe a silly question but...

Since you are a relatively new cadet, and you mentioned you tried on several different computers, I have to ask:

Have you done your 116 Test yet?  Do you have Basic ES Qualification?
If not, there's no point in printing out a 101 card, because you wouldn't possess the minimum qualifications.

Cadet Bonnett

Quote from: tedda on June 27, 2005, 10:09:56 PM
Quote from: Cheergirl on June 26, 2005, 02:36:05 PM
;D

Ok, this maybe a silly question but...

Since you are a relatively new cadet, and you mentioned you tried on several different computers, I have to ask:

Have you done your 116 Test yet?  Do you have Basic ES Qualification?
If not, there's no point in printing out a 101 card, because you wouldn't possess the minimum qualifications.
tedda yes i did take the 116 and the 117 and the continuing edu parts 1, 2, &3 i also took the SkilllS Evaluator, and passed them all and yes i am GES certified... But thaanks for asking..
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

Cadet Bonnett

Quote from: Cheergirl on June 26, 2005, 01:52:01 AM
the cards can only be found on e-services rihgt. If so... What am i supppose to do. My computer isnot working and i can't get my password to work.
thank god it's working finally.
i have a question when you first become certified in es it it supervised right... ???
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

MIKE

Quote from: Cheergirl on June 29, 2005, 05:05:19 PM
i have a question when you first become certified in es it it supervised right... ???

Your 101 card will note whether you are fully qualified or are on supervised trainee status... Look for the * next to a qualification.
Mike Johnston

Schmidty06

I've been working on figuring out how to get the computer generated 101 card off of MIMS onto a CAP membership card shaped and sized PVC card.  Once upon a time, I got close to perfection by copy-pasting the actual html table that the 101 card is build with into another in-house .html file that I made and printing the end result on one of our PVC card printers.  To get the reverse side, I simply put only the table for the reverse side in my mini-html file and printed it.  However, that takes too much effort and I am trying to find an easier way.

SarDragon

In two words - There isn't! I spent several hours messing around with different methods, and came up with nothing.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

whatevah

just got back from NESA...

the Illinois people there have their cards printed on yellow paper, however every student was given a new 101 card, printed on white paper and then laminated.  this card didn't have the "glossary" that you get through MIMS, so I dunno how they were printed, I was busy doing other stuff at the time.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Pylon

Quote from: Christin Bonnett on June 27, 2005, 08:30:39 PM
if you didn't laminate them then who exactly did...

Uh, probably the issuing authority.

There's got to be a decent way to fit the 101 card decently onto a PVC, with the glossary somehow included.  It would certainly help immensely.

Schmidty06

Or Kinko's, depending on how pro-active or anti-active you are.

Matt

I'm not quite sure why you'd want the glossary.... if you're signing into a mission, the MSA checking you in should know what each is, and you probably should since you've qualified in them....
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

ladyreferee

I have another question, if I may.  What do you study before you take the 116 test?  Do you study the General Emergency Services Task Booklet, or the CAPR 60-3, or both?
CHERYL K CARROLL, Major, CAP

Horn229

Study the 60-3 and the Gen ES Slide before you take it, and have the 60-3 with you when you take it. The tasks in the Gen ES task book is just some tasks that are required for mulitple specialties, they are not required to get Gen ES.
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

Pylon

Quote from: Matt on August 13, 2005, 05:52:38 AM
I'm not quite sure why you'd want the glossary.... if you're signing into a mission, the MSA checking you in should know what each is, and you probably should since you've qualified in them....

Regarding the glossary, I have a different position on questioning its need.  If you're not qualified in 90% of the abbreviations on the glossary, why bother try to get the whole list on there.  In fact, why have a glossary at all?

Instead, why not simply write out the name of the specialty right after the abbreviation and expiry date.

For example:

GES - 1/2099 - General Emergency Services
GTM3 - 1/2006 - Ground Team Mbr. Level 3
MO - 1/2006 - Mission Observer
MS - 1/2006 - Mission Scanner
etc.....

No more worries about confusion over the abbreviations and no more worries trying to fit that unneeded glossary somewhere on the card.

Mac

I would have to agree with most on here, why do you need the glossary on there to begin with. I just cut it off of mine and then fold the 101 in half so it is front to back and slide it into my ID holder.
Derk MacPherson, Lt Col, CAP
Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

Pylon

Quote from: Nukem on August 18, 2005, 07:21:20 PM
I would have to agree with most on here, why do you need the glossary on there to begin with. I just cut it off of mine and then fold the 101 in half so it is front to back and slide it into my ID holder.

Well the original argument pro-glossary was that it would define what you were qualified for if someone didn't know what all the different, cryptic abbreviations stood for.  However, if you simply define the abbreviation after it, then there's no issue.  No glossary needed, no confusion created.

Matt

Then we'd end up, like purists, at the previous edition of the 101 Card in which printed the name, not the abbriviation  ;)  Then again, I like those better anyways, looked nicer and easier to define what was happening on it then these new ones...

Also, just was gandering about on the plastic ID's... the cards themselves are actually reasonably priced (about $3 each).  Provided you have the printer the process itself is also quite inexpensive.  However if you have to purchase the printer... it costs a pretty penny, unless one could find a true enough reason to have one purchased for them or donated, I'm really not sure that it is entirely worth it....

Pylon

Well I don't have one of those PVC printers (which can run you anywheres from $1k to $3k), but I do have professional laminating equipment for cards.  And I have a number of laminate pouches, as well.

I could play around with some 101 card templates and running them through the laminator to see how they look.  If I can come up with something nice, I wouldn't mind having people send me cards to laminate for like $1 or something. 

I'll have to wait until things at work and CAP calm down, sometime around October.

Matt

I think if I gander around I still might have an AutoCAD template of one (as my CO reads this and is shaking his head), please note, I had a VERY boring senior year in HS, one runs out of drawing with 4hrs per day in a CAD lab.

I may throw something together if I find time and can probably forward it onto you.

MIKE

Took a number of years of CAD classes in high school... The math involved scared me off of pursuing it any further... Ended up going to school for TV & Radio Production & Broadcasting as there was a lot less math involved.
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on August 19, 2005, 02:30:55 PM
Took a number of years of CAD classes in high school... The math involved scared me off of pursuing it any further... Ended up going to school for TV & Radio Production & Broadcasting as there was a lot less math involved.

....Math...  *shudder*    :-X

Matt

Yep, and what's weirder yet is I changed majors from Mech. Engineering to Management Information Systems.... now I play with computers all day.... except that I'm a "CAD Technition" for work... not quite sure how it works myself...

ladyreferee

I haven't found the answer to this so here goes....today was a great day in homeschool - I decided that instead of our regular classes we would get our 101 cards.  My two cadets and I studied the regulations, discussed the powerpoint slides, and then took our tests.  After Mom passed each section, each boy would take his test.  Naturally, everyone passed.  Next, I logged onto e-services and saw that I am listed on my 101 card as having GES. Yippee!  However, when I logged on for each of my boys, neither of them are listed as having GES on their 101 cards.  Why not?  I didn't do anything more than they did and we each have our personal information in the system.  One is a C/SSgt and one a C/A1C.  Is there something else that must be done for their rating?

Pylon

Quote from: ladyreferee on November 01, 2005, 07:34:36 PM
I haven't found the answer to this so here goes....today was a great day in homeschool - I decided that instead of our regular classes we would get our 101 cards.  My two cadets and I studied the regulations, discussed the powerpoint slides, and then took our tests.  After Mom passed each section, each boy would take his test.  Naturally, everyone passed.  Next, I logged onto e-services and saw that I am listed on my 101 card as having GES. Yippee!  However, when I logged on for each of my boys, neither of them are listed as having GES on their 101 cards.  Why not?  I didn't do anything more than they did and we each have our personal information in the system.  One is a C/SSgt and one a C/A1C.  Is there something else that must be done for their rating?

I would have said check that they had their Curry Achievement entered, but the Curry Achievement would certainly be entered for the C/SSgt since NHQ would have it down as the pre-requisite for the Wright Bros. Award.  Since it didn't show up for both of them, I'm thinking that either they mis-entered their CAPIDs for the online test, or the GES rating needs Commander approval for cadets for some reason, and the request is pending. 

Ask your unit CC to check for pending approvals in E-Services.  :)

Matt

The commander needs to, in theory, approve ALL of them, which is what is strange.  Most likely, it is the server at Nat'l doing it's auto-pencil whipping.

SarDragon

The Curry Achievement needs to be manually entered. It isn't tracked otherwise.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ladyreferee

Other than the major achievements, they are all entered manually.  But I've done that according to the regs - you know, not any sooner than every two months in the WMU....

SarDragon

We're talking apples and oranges here. The only cadet achievement tracked in MIMS is the Curry, because that is a requirement to participate in and be qualified for ES ratings. CAPR 60-3, para 2-3.a. requires completion of Achievement 1 or Level I to participate in ES training or missions.

Tracking of milestones is done in a different area of the database, and entries are done at NHQ, based on the CAPF 59-x sent in at the completion of each phase.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Matt

umm, but the question in hand is still weird... why is it that magically the Capt's GES is completed even before her CC has signed it off, but her sons' aren't finished.

Pylon

Quote from: Matt on November 02, 2005, 12:51:27 AM
umm, but the question in hand is still weird... why is it that magically the Capt's GES is completed even before her CC has signed it off, but her sons' aren't finished.

The GES rating requires that cadets have completed the Curry Achievement and Senior Members have completed Level I.  The Captain has obviously completed Level I, which is tracked and entered by NHQ and therefore was already in E-Services.  By completing the test, she checked off the last requirement E-Services had to give her the GES rating.

Her children, however, need to have the Curry Achievement entered manually and locally.  The Curry Achievement, unlike Level I for SMs, is not entered by NHQ automatically upon completion.  Therefore, if the unit hadn't entered manually their Curry achievement in E-Services, even if they had entered it in their SIMS and personnel files and everything else, E-Services would still consider the two cadets as lacking one of the requirements (pre-requisites, actually) to earn the GES rating.  Therefore, as soon as the Curry Achievement is entered in E-Services, their GES rating should also appear.

There's a link on the homepage of E-Services in those "news" items about entering the Curry achievement.  Your unit commander can clear it up.  :)

Matt

Apples and Oranges...

Even IF she has her Level I completed, which she does, her squadron commander STILL has to approve it, e-services cannot speak in place of a person....

ladyreferee

Oh....I hate that when someone says 'your commander can clear it up'!  My commander is in the dark as much as I am on this. ???  Supposedly I am the personnel/admin officer and in charge of entering everything in the records for everyone but I can't get past this stumpling block....

How do I get approval to enter in information?  And how does a commander get to know about this stuff, especially when he is not computer literate? And why do they make it so darn confusing?  Under news links, what link talks about entering the Curry? 

On top of this, the testing officer/DCOC told the cadets that because he didn't know that they were going to take the CAPT116, it isn't valid until he gives permission, not the commander.... ugh!!!!

Mac

Anyone with a CAPID may take the on-line CAPT 116 anytime they want to, with or without the testing officer, DCC or commanders prior approval, especially since it's an open book test.

Now to enter the cadets info into MIMS for their Curry achievement, here is what needs to be done.

Open MIMS, click on "General ES & Pilot Task Data Entry(Task Level)" then enter the cadets CAPID on the left side and click "Submit". On the right side of the screen click on "Record Completed Tasks for New Achievement". The screen will change and then click on the plus sign next to the "Cadet Programs" link under "Functional Areas".

Once you get to "Achv 1 Requirements" you just have to enter dates for the 4 requirement for Ach 1 (Moral Leadership, Leadership Test, CFPT, and Unit Activity) then click save. There will now be the word pending next to the dates.

This is were is gets complicated. The commander or someone with permission to "Validate achievements or tasks" has to go into MIMS and approve the tasks. one that is all done it will show Achievement 1 (Curry) as active in MIMS. It "should" also show GES if both parts of CAPT 116 are completed.

If you have anymore questions or need any help please feel free to ask here or send me a message.

Derk MacPherson, Lt Col, CAP
Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

Matt

Quote from: ladyreferee on November 02, 2005, 02:13:38 PM
Oh....I hate that when someone says 'your commander can clear it up'!

Sorry, that is sort-of, not entirely the case.

How do I get approval to enter in information?  And how does a commander get to know about this stuff, especially when he is not computer literate?

If you're using WMU as most of WI Wing does, it's as simple as him adding permissions on the Unit Organization in the Squadron Commander Menu, then you can do his bidding if he so wishes.

And why do they make it so darn confusing?

Because we're a government affiliate.  Just be glad we don't follow gov't protocol and have 5 people watching you while you work.  :)

Under news links, what link talks about entering the Curry?

Open for someone who, I believe, uses e-services.  WMU it's in the SIMS menu (contact me if you'd like a little more in-depth information on SIMS)

On top of this, the testing officer/DCOC told the cadets that because he didn't know that they were going to take the CAPT116, it isn't valid until he gives permission, not the commander.... ugh!!!!

That's a real humdinger since the commander is his boss.  However, politely ask him his reasoning behind his answer.  He doesn't have to give permission to take the test, it's nice to sometimes let the commander know, but it shouldn't really matter.  Unless the CC has him as his designee, he really has no detriment in this.  However, if he's going to be a pain, simply request his permission to take the tests, once he "OK's" the kids, simply print out the previously taken certificates.  If he wants to have power he probably doesn't have, let him feel it, not have it.

**Side Note:  Use Nukem's post for MIMS**