The Barons, "Bier Uber Alles Luftwaffe"

Started by FARRIER, August 21, 2007, 01:45:19 AM

FARRIER

Does anyone know if the Blue/Red/International Barons or the "Bier Uber Alles Luftwaffe" still exist as an organization within the Aerospace Education community?  :)
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

sardak

I still carry my card, but this is the first mention of it I've heard in at least 10 years.  When I ask at the appropriate functions if anyone is a member, I just get blank stares.

Mike

Trung Si Ma

Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

FARRIER

Mike, Trung Si Ma:

You guys Red or Blue Barons? I don't carry my card on me any more but I still have it in a safe place.

Brian
(Blue)

IT Professional

Trung Si Ma

JohnKachenmeister

If you were REALLY a baron, you would know that "von" is not capitalized.

Aber, Ich habe Bier gern!  Erklaren Sie mir mehr wie "Roten und Blau Baronen," bitte!  Ich wisze nichts.
Another former CAP officer

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 21, 2007, 04:03:54 AM

So my German sucks.  I only get to use it conversationally about once a year - if we meet in Germany.  Right now, I'm trying to remember my Hangul.

RogueLeader

What do ja know ;) I speak a little German, and I understood most of it. Trung Si Ma, I can say hi, and some basic words, but NO long conversations. . . It ain't gonna happen. . . . . . .

Aber, Ich habe Bier gern! 

rotf, lmao
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

BillB

Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

AlphaSigOU

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on August 21, 2007, 03:49:26 AM
Rot Baron, Herr Baron Von Cordell.

Ahem... the German equivalent to baron is 'Freiherr'.  ;D

Bitte ein Bit!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on August 21, 2007, 04:14:40 AM

So my German sucks.  I only get to use it conversationally about once a year - if we meet in Germany.  Right now, I'm trying to remember my Hangul.

It can't be worse than mine.  I took German in high school for two years.  That was in 1963 and 1964.  I figured that they would see I spoke German and send me to Germany instead of Vietnam.

That plan didn't work.

flyerthom

Quote from: FARRIER on August 21, 2007, 01:45:19 AM
Does anyone know if the Blue/Red/International Barons or the "Bier Uber Alles Luftwaffe" still exist as an organization within the Aerospace Education community?  :)
http://www.dick.mckay.org/html/redbaron.html
TC

sardak

Quote from: FARRIER on August 21, 2007, 03:37:16 AM
Mike:
You guys Red or Blue Barons? I don't carry my card on me any more but I still have it in a safe place.

Brian
(Blue)
Red.  Keep it with me because of rule 5.

Ein Prosit.

Mike

SJFedor

This sounds like fun, is there a national website for this organization?

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Cecil DP

Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

IceNine

can a be a baron if I don't spraken se deutche

I'm not really sure if that is even the same language, and I'm positive it's spelled incorrectly

But its cool cause Rogue has a ROFLCOPTER.  Heh, LOLERSKATES

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RogueLeader

Quote from: mfd1506 on September 01, 2007, 05:54:37 PM
can a be a baron if I don't spraken se deutche

I'm not really sure if that is even the same language, and I'm positive it's spelled incorrectly

But its cool cause Rogue has a ROFLCOPTER.  Heh, LOLERSKATES

Warten, bis ich meine Hände auf dir erhalte.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

IceNine

WHAT?!?  That doesn't even translate to anything with meaning...in google

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eagle400

Quote from: RogueLeader on September 03, 2007, 02:10:58 AMWarten, bis ich meine Hände auf dir erhalte.

"Wait, until I place my hands upon you" is what he said.   

JohnKachenmeister

Versuch:

"Warten Sie, bis ich meine Hande auf ihren erhalte."

I think.

Al Sayre

:D :D :D  Google & Babelfish both translate that as: "Control rooms you, to I mean Hande on their receive." 

These translators have the capability to set foreign relations back 200 years...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

JohnKachenmeister

Oder:

Warten Sie, bis ich meine Hande auf deine erhalte.

Verzeiung, aber I studierte Deutsch weil ich wolle nicht auf Vietnam gegehen.  Die Armee wurd schickest mir auf Deutschland.

Es arbeitet NICHT!

IceNine

Sweet so you can type german...

Let's see you do it like Yoda!

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RogueLeader

Quote from: mfd1506 on September 03, 2007, 03:37:13 AM
WHAT?!?  That doesn't even translate to anything with meaning...in google

Google is what gave that to me.. . . . .  :angel:
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

IceNine

Google gave me "Control rooms you, to I mean Hande on their receive." 

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

JohnKachenmeister

JohnKachenmeister

The problem with babelfish is that we are not typing in the umlaut in Hande, because I don't think I have one on my keyboard.  I've never found one, anyway.  Plus we are dealing with an English idiom that is probably also a German idiom.

FARRIER

Quote from: Cecil DP on September 01, 2007, 10:12:14 AM
What are the Barons??

This is an excerpt from an old article on the organization.

"During an Aerospace Education Conference in Denver Colorado, in 1962, Noel Bullock, Director of Aerospace Education, USAF-CAP Rocky Mountain Region and Gene Kropf. Public Affairs Officer, Western Region FAA, created a fun organization known as the 'Bier Uber Alles Luftwaffe'.

Both members being World War 1 aviation history students, Bullock became known as the "Blue Baron" ...and Kropf became the "Red Baron". L.D Cody, Director of Aerospace Education, USAF-CAP, Pacific Region, was titled the "International Baron" for his world travels promoting Aerospace Education."

At the time of the article, which doesn't show up on my copy, there were over 20,000 "aviation/aerospace education enthusiast".

" Along with all the serious business of Aerospace Education, the 'Luftwaffe' members endeavor to add a little fun to the teaching/learning process."
IT Professional

CAP_truth

Red Baron mine certificate is signed by Pat Cody aka Baron Von Cody
Cadet CoP
Wilson

SarDragon

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on September 04, 2007, 04:57:18 AM
The problem with babelfish is that we are not typing in the umlaut in Hande, because I don't think I have one on my keyboard.  I've never found one, anyway.  Plus we are dealing with an English idiom that is probably also a German idiom.

Use your Alt key and your numeric keypad to create the following characters:

ü - Alt-129
é - Alt-130
â - Alt-131
ä - Alt-132
à - Alt-133
å - Alt-134
ç - Alt-135
ê - Alt-136
ë - Alt-137
è - Alt-138
ï - Alt-139
î - Alt-140
ì - Alt-141
Ä - Alt-142
Å - Alt-143
É - Alt-144
æ - Alt-145
Æ - Alt-146
ô - Alt-147
ö - Alt-148
ò - Alt-149
û - Alt-150
ù - Alt-151
ÿ - Alt-152

You get the idea. Doing Alt-[0nnn] gives a different set above nnn=128.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Baroness #12107

I see the this is a SUPER old post but when I searched on "Bier Uber Alles Luftwaffe" this is all that popped up.  That being said, I have found some old family photos of a Baron 'swearing in' ceremony (read: drinking session) that includes Chuck Yeager, Gene Kropf, & Pat Cody at our home from the early 1970's.  You seem to know a bit about the group, do you know where I could post this old photo so that the history buffs can have a bit of the flavor of the group?

BTW - I'm Kent Backart's daughter, in case that's a familiar name to you!

Quote from: FARRIER on September 05, 2007, 04:08:49 AM
What are the Barons??

"During an Aerospace Education Conference in Denver Colorado, in 1962, Noel Bullock, Director of Aerospace Education, USAF-CAP Rocky Mountain Region and Gene Kropf. Public Affairs Officer, Western Region FAA, created a fun organization known as the 'Bier Uber Alles Luftwaffe'.

Both members being World War 1 aviation history students, Bullock became known as the "Blue Baron" ...and Kropf became the "Red Baron". L.D Cody, Director of Aerospace Education, USAF-CAP, Pacific Region, was titled the "International Baron" for his world travels promoting Aerospace Education."

At the time of the article, which doesn't show up on my copy, there were over 20,000 "aviation/aerospace education enthusiast".

" Along with all the serious business of Aerospace Education, the 'Luftwaffe' members endeavor to add a little fun to the teaching/learning process."

tsrup

Paramedic
hang-around.

flyboy53

I'm a Red Baron. Anyone know what it would take to re-organize this ad hoc fraternity?

Baroness #12107

Success will probably hinge on where people are located and how far they're willing to go to get together.  I can find out from my Dad the location of those he's still in touch with.  After that it's likely that the people involved in this thread are the ones that would determine if a meeting is going to happen.

Make sure you have your membership card on you! (rule #5)  ;)

FARRIER

I'm posting this for Baroness #12107.

Quote from: Baroness #12107 on February 04, 2011, 04:11:26 PM
I see the this is a SUPER old post but when I searched on "Bier Uber Alles Luftwaffe" this is all that popped up.  That being said, I have found some old family photos of a Baron 'swearing in' ceremony (read: drinking session) that includes Chuck Yeager, Gene Kropf, & Pat Cody at our home from the early 1970's.  You seem to know a bit about the group, do you know where I could post this old photo so that the history buffs can have a bit of the flavor of the group?

BTW - I'm Kent Backart's daughter, in case that's a familiar name to you!

Quote from: FARRIER on September 05, 2007, 04:08:49 AM
What are the Barons??

IT Professional