Main Menu

Mystery Jacket

Started by yolo, February 13, 2022, 11:53:54 PM

yolo

HandsomeWalt_USMC

PCU Level 7 Primaloft jacket. I have one. Super warm and cozy, but not CAP authorized, at least for USAF style uniforms. I use mine for range days and camping in the winter. Great jacket and can be found reasonably inexpensively compared to similar tactical jackets like Arc'teryx LEAF and such.
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

Shuman 14

It's a parka issued to USAF and US Army Personnel for use with the ACU & ABU uniforms, the base color is foliage green.

As there is shortages in the roll out of OCP pattern and Coyote Brown cold wear gear, especially in the Guard and Reserves, it is still authorized for wear with the OCP uniform in the Army, I can't say for the USAF.

That being said, I don't think it use was ever addressed for CAP wear with the ABU or BBDU uniform... but it is super warm and wind resistant.

I've never had to wear one in a cold/wet environment so I can't speak on well it is water resistant but in minus zero wind chills it will keep you warm. 
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Jester

Looks like Hawk Mountain judging from the background, which leans toward safety and functionality given that it's a 100% outdoor school conducted in a field environment.

yolo

Quote from: Jester on February 14, 2022, 02:20:00 PMLooks like Hawk Mountain judging from the background, which leans toward safety and functionality given that it's a 100% outdoor school conducted in a field environment.

That's exactly right sir, it's a screenshot from HMRS Winter Weekend. Good eye.

supertigerCH

used to call this one the "marshmallow jacket" 

heliodoc

Guess I won't worry about takin any heat for non approved winter jacket wear then if these folks are not following 39-1  then.  Winter WX common sense rules.  Don't feel so bad now that HMRS bada****s are wearing non approved wear...lol

Capt Thompson

Quote from: heliodoc on February 22, 2022, 05:12:52 PMGuess I won't worry about takin any heat for non approved winter jacket wear then if these folks are not following 39-1  then.  Winter WX common sense rules.  Don't feel so bad now that HMRS bada****s are wearing non approved wear...lol
It would be approved for BBDU or any other corporate combo, provided you didn't add the rank and tapes.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

heliodoc

I'd could work with that where I am at AND IF I had one of those, I wouldn't muck it up with rank and tapes with a couple of CWU 45/Ps that I own, either. But in the land of make believe, where I am from, there are some types here that are boonie hat wearin and I don't mean BBDUs, either. So there's a plenty of non reading 39-1 types

Jester

Quote from: heliodoc on February 22, 2022, 05:12:52 PMGuess I won't worry about takin any heat for non approved winter jacket wear then if these folks are not following 39-1  then.  Winter WX common sense rules.  Don't feel so bad now that HMRS bada****s are wearing non approved wear...lol

They have a published uniform policy allowing conservative commercial items to be worn for safety, specifically outerwear and footwear, due to the unique nature of the course and facilities (or lack thereof). 

I wouldn't get all up in my feelings over it and get snarky.

heliodoc

People get snarky for a number of reasons dating back to the 1970's when MN Wing was approached by some of the cadre to adopt to the HMRS standards...failed somewhat miserably as I recall. Nonetheless with CAP and its inability to move Logistics and leave it up to the Wings to appropriate the ABUs (and we did in this Wing on an ANG base) with no thought of winter gear in the Northern climate gives me reason as a former USAFASC and PJOC 1977 and 1978 and US Army Aviation Winter Survival School (ALSE ASI) in Ely MN and the 88th ARCOM, give me reason enough to question the planning and execution of many items that are sorely needed if we are to be some sort of reasonable 39-1 compliance. Simply putting it on to the Wing and Sqdn CCs to "appropriate" needed supplies. Didn't get up in anyone's feelings. Like the dated GT Taskbooks....there's alot of improvement needed.

We've had 80 years to improve and 20 of that to "Corporate-like."

Shuman 14

How odd that CAP has issues with a USAF cold weather parka, its seems like a no brainer to me.

USAF parka, authorized for wear with the former USAF uniform ABUs, possible still authorized for wear with OCPs because of the lack of cold weather gear in OCP pattern and/or coyote brown.

CAP, still wearing the outdated and obsolete ABU uniform, is not authorized to wear a parka designed to wear with the ABUs.

That makes perfect sense. (Roll eyes)
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Slim

Thinking back a few years, the old N3B snorkel parka wasn't mentioned in the 39-1 of the time either, but it's wear here in the northern climes was universally accepted and a very common occurrence in fatigues, BDUs and even blues when the conditions warranted it.  I probably issued hundreds of them when I worked in the wing supply room.

Slim

heliodoc

Common sense isn't so common, is it Col Shuman?

Apparently, sometimes it takes Army and Army Air Corp type thinking, in what I thought was a 21 Century organization.

Oh it is...VolU and all the online education...

I tell you whuuuut, whonce again...the Seven P's come to mind

Shuman 14

Quote from: Slim on February 22, 2022, 11:20:42 PMThinking back a few years, the old N3B snorkel parka wasn't mentioned in the 39-1 of the time either, but it's wear here in the northern climes was universally accepted and a very common occurrence in fatigues, BDUs and even blues when the conditions warranted it.  I probably issued hundreds of them when I worked in the wing supply room.

I remember those, I had a civilian knock-off as kid in junior high. Great for a day in the snow building snow forts, snowmen and chucking snowballs.

Can't remember when I last saw one in the military, late nineties I think.
Joseph J. Clune

heliodoc

Yep...place called Venture Surplus selling the newer cotton styled N3B not the ol shiny satin type N3B for between $99 and $149 depending upon condition

Slim

Quote from: Shuman 14 on February 22, 2022, 11:29:21 PM
Quote from: Slim on February 22, 2022, 11:20:42 PMThinking back a few years, the old N3B snorkel parka wasn't mentioned in the 39-1 of the time either, but it's wear here in the northern climes was universally accepted and a very common occurrence in fatigues, BDUs and even blues when the conditions warranted it.  I probably issued hundreds of them when I worked in the wing supply room.

I remember those, I had a civilian knock-off as kid in junior high. Great for a day in the snow building snow forts, snowmen and chucking snowballs.

Can't remember when I last saw one in the military, late nineties I think.
They've become a lot less common since the Gortex ECWCS and the newer Primaloft gear came out, but there are still a few around here and there.  I was still seeing a few when I was a WAA location coordinator until about 4 years ago.  I still have one, along with the matching pants somewhere.

Slim

Shuman 14

Quote from: Slim on February 23, 2022, 04:37:00 AMThey've become a lot less common since the Gortex ECWCS and the newer Primaloft gear came out, but there are still a few around here and there.  I was still seeing a few when I was a WAA location coordinator until about 4 years ago.  I still have one, along with the matching pants somewhere.

Here's something to make you go hmmmm. Had my weekly squadron two nights ago and my Squadron Commander came in wearing one... but in ABU pattern!!!

I asked him where he got it and he said he found it at a Army/Navy Surplus store and snapped it up as soon as he saw it.

So I guess they're still out there if you look hard enough.
Joseph J. Clune

heliodoc

Since we are talking uniforms anyways......here some sourcing for solid green items...almost like the 1970's and different enough to make CAP stand out

Heck, almost cheaper than Vanguard......lololol

https://www.venturesurplus.com/products/rothco-vintage-vietnam-rip-stop-fatigue-pants-olive-drab/?

Shuman 14

Quote from: heliodoc on February 25, 2022, 08:43:01 PMSince we are talking uniforms anyways......here some sourcing for solid green items...almost like the 1970's and different enough to make CAP stand out

Heck, almost cheaper than Vanguard......lololol

https://www.venturesurplus.com/products/rothco-vintage-vietnam-rip-stop-fatigue-pants-olive-drab/?

Olive Drab Field Uniform for all members.

Use existing blue Name/CAP tapes, ranks, and badges; add full color wing patch and Flag patch, and black boots.

Use existing black Fleece as the primary outerwear in moderate cold and use an olive drab M-65 reproduction as the very cold outerwear.

Uniformity is achieved, it is not a USAF Uniform so no issues there and no confusion with the USCG, USCGAux, LE or other first responder organizations.

Martial enough for those that are drawn to that.

Let prior-service wear their previously earned badges and tabs on it and I doubt anyone would complain.

Give the ABUs and BBDUs a five year wear out period and everyone will be happy. (well less unhappy).

Joseph J. Clune