Help IDing some ribbons

Started by Xylathialus, January 03, 2022, 07:26:42 PM

Xylathialus

All,

We have a member aproaching his 50 year mark with CAP.  We're looking at putting a shadow box together for a presentation.  His wife sent us a picture of his ribbions so we can start putting hte shadow box together, but I can't figure out what bottom 3 rows of ribbons are.  Any help with identifying the ribbons and where I might be able to find them to add to the shadow bow would be appreciated.

IMG_2249.pdf

Eclipse

Far right:
Coast Guard Unit Commendation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coast_Guard_Unit_Commendation

Middle:
Coast Guard Meritorious Unit Commendation w/ Operational Distinguishing Device

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meritorious_Unit_Commendation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_Distinguishing_Device

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Those aren't CAP ribbons; they're Coast Guard Auxiliary.

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on January 03, 2022, 07:42:36 PM

Far right:
Coast Guard Unit Commendation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coast_Guard_Unit_Commendation

Middle:
Coast Guard Meritorious Unit Commendation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meritorious_Unit_Commendation

On the third row from the bottom, the one with the frame on it is a Department Of Transportation Outstanding Unit Award.
All this per Vanguard's Guide to Correct Wear of United States Military Ribbons and Attachments.

N6RVT

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 03, 2022, 07:57:42 PMThose aren't CAP ribbons; they're Coast Guard Auxiliary.

The top three are CAP.  The two rows below that are USCGAUX, except for the one in the frame which I do not recognize.  The bottom three would be considered actual military ribbons under CAP regs as they would have been awarded by the Actual USCG, not the AUX.  The DOT ribbon looks so dingy as its probably over 20 years old as thats when the USCG ceased being part of the DOT.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on January 03, 2022, 08:12:42 PMThe bottom three would be considered actual military ribbons under CAP regs as they would have been awarded by the Actual USCG, not the AUX.

If that's the case, then the order of precedence is incorrect. Federally-awarded ribbons would go above the CAP ribbons.

It looks like some ribbons are missing: AFOEA (for CAP), Crisis Service.

PHall

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 03, 2022, 08:58:33 PM
Quote from: Dwight Dutton on January 03, 2022, 08:12:42 PMThe bottom three would be considered actual military ribbons under CAP regs as they would have been awarded by the Actual USCG, not the AUX.

If that's the case, then the order of precedence is incorrect. Federally-awarded ribbons would go above the CAP ribbons.

It looks like some ribbons are missing: AFOEA (for CAP), Crisis Service.

That whole rack is a mess.

baronet68

Quote from: Eclipse on January 03, 2022, 07:42:36 PM

A couple of minor points:
  • Unit Citation Ribbon should have a bronze triangular clasp instead of star attachment.
  • The 45 year Red Service Ribbon is the old propeller design that hasn't been authorized for wear by SMs for 40 years.

Something I often see on ribbon racks of long-time members is the use of ribbons that have long since been redesigned, replaced, or discontinued (especially the old-style ribbons embroidered with the propeller design).   The most common one I've seen is the old IACE Ribbon with propellers (obsolete design since 1985), but have also seen the Blue Service Ribbon (obsolete 1971), National Drill Competition (obsolete 1961), and recently saw the Gill Rob Wilson and Aerospace Awards (both obsolete designs since 1982) on the same rack with the newer versions of the same awards.

CAPR 39-3 states: 

QuoteAny member earning senior program awards under previous criteria may continue to wear them until ribbons or medal require remounting at which time ribbons/medal should be worn as outlined above, regardless of when earned.

Using that same logic, other obsolete ribbons should have been replaced sometime over the course of the past 40 or so years.

Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Eclipse

Quote from: baronet68 on January 03, 2022, 09:23:30 PMUnit Citation Ribbon should have a bronze triangular clasp instead of star attachment.

What if he's got 6?

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on January 03, 2022, 09:35:37 PM
Quote from: baronet68 on January 03, 2022, 09:23:30 PMUnit Citation Ribbon should have a bronze triangular clasp instead of star attachment.

What if he's got 6?

Then replace the multiple bronze triangle clasps with a silver one, as seen in a couple of baronet's images.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

baronet68

What if he's got 6?

Star attachments are not used on the Unit Citation Ribbon.  If he has 6 unit citations, then a silver triangular clasp would be the appropriate attachment.  People mess up the attachments all the time... I know someone who received an Exceptional Service Award and, because it was presented to them by their Region Commander, they think they're supposed to wear a bronze star attachment on that ribbon (as if it were a Region Commanders Commendation).  Not at all true, but can't convince them otherwise. 
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Eclipse

Yep - brain freeze - cold here.

"That Others May Zoom"

N6RVT

Quote from: baronet68 on January 03, 2022, 10:17:37 PM
What if he's got 6?
Star attachments are not used on the Unit Citation Ribbon.  If he has 6 unit citations, then a silver triangular clasp would be the appropriate attachment.  People mess up the attachments all the time... I know someone who received an Exceptional Service Award and, because it was presented to them by their Region Commander, they think they're supposed to wear a bronze star attachment on that ribbon (as if it were a Region Commanders Commendation).  Not at all true, but can't convince them otherwise.

My favorite is from the last formal USCGAUX event I attended before everything shut down.  Some guy in pristine perfect mess dress with his wife, wearing USAF senior pilots wings over a row of 6 or 7 CAP medals.  Had one stripe (equal to a CAP 2lt) on that half a thousand dollar uniform.  Possibly more, this one looked tailor made.

In both organizations you have to get pretty far up the chain to be invited to events where you need that.  Primary wing staff at a minimum.  Even a service coat is more than most of us really need these days.

James Shaw

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on January 04, 2022, 04:41:23 AM
Quote from: baronet68 on January 03, 2022, 10:17:37 PM
What if he's got 6?

My favorite is from the last formal USCGAUX event I attended before everything shut down.  Some guy in pristine perfect mess dress with his wife, wearing USAF senior pilots wings over a row of 6 or 7 CAP medals.  Had one stripe (equal to a CAP 2lt) on that half a thousand dollar uniform.  Possibly more, this one looked tailor made.

In both organizations you have to get pretty far up the chain to be invited to events where you need that.  Primary wing staff at a minimum.  Even a service coat is more than most of us really need these days.

I can see wearing the AF Wings on the Mess Dress but not the CAP Medals on the USCGAUX Mess Dress. That combination would be odd to me.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Xylathialus

I appreciate all the help.  I was told he had been enlisted in the Air Force and didn't look close enough at the Coast Guard. 

THRAWN

Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

TheSkyHornet

I would only put his CAP ribbons/medals into the shadow box. While he can wear military/federal decorations on his CAP rack, it's not in correspondence to his CAP "career."

Shuman 14

Quote from: THRAWN on January 04, 2022, 03:11:29 PMHere's the chart:

https://join.cgaux.org/awards.php

That will help but keep in mind the USCG awards many of it's ribbons to the USCGAux and both awards are intra-mixed.

Where in CAP all Federal decorations take precedence over CAP awards, not so in the USCGAux.

An USCGAux Achievement Medal is placed before (higher) than an USCG Achievement Medal the same a way USAF Achievement Medal would go before (higher) than an Army Achievement Medal.

The awards are considered equal but USCGAux takes precedence in the order of wear.

Following CAP standards the DOT Secretary's Outstanding Unit Award, Coast Guard Unit Citation and Coast Guard Meritorious Unit Citation would go first, then CAP Awards and his USCGAux awards are not worn at all.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Shuman 14

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 04, 2022, 04:35:00 PMI would only put his CAP ribbons/medals into the shadow box. While he can wear military/federal decorations on his CAP rack, it's not in correspondence to his CAP "career."

That's the cheaper answer of course.

There are numerous vendors online that you can buy the USCG and USCGAux awards from and create a shadow box that encompasses everything, which I believe would look nicer.
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Shuman 14 on January 04, 2022, 06:30:16 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 04, 2022, 04:35:00 PMI would only put his CAP ribbons/medals into the shadow box. While he can wear military/federal decorations on his CAP rack, it's not in correspondence to his CAP "career."

There are numerous vendors online that you can buy the USCG and USCGAux awards from and create a shadow box that encompasses everything, which I believe would look nicer.

I guess I'm failing to see what 50 years in CAP has to do with the USCG/USCG Aux.

Shuman 14

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 04, 2022, 06:38:49 PM
Quote from: Shuman 14 on January 04, 2022, 06:30:16 PM

I guess I'm failing to see what 50 years in CAP has to do with the USCG/USCG Aux.

It's all Service to our great Nation... isn't it.

Also, seems the member in question wears the awards on his CAP uniform, abet incorrectly, but it would tend to speak as to what he wants, not what you want.
Joseph J. Clune