Crisis Service Ribbon

Started by Capt Thompson, December 01, 2021, 05:09:11 PM

Capt Thompson

Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

rdmcii

Before this gets locked, I have a question:

Paragraph 2 states: "This award ranks immediately before the Red Service Ribbon in the order of precedence.", yet it is shown as immediately ABOVE the RSR on attachment 2. Which is it?

Capt Thompson

Props to the folks that take care of the McChord Rack Builder for already having this, I wonder if they get advanced notice of these changes?
Capt Matt Thompson

Capt Thompson

Quote from: rdmcii on December 01, 2021, 05:39:40 PMBefore this gets locked, I have a question:

Paragraph 2 states: "This award ranks immediately before the Red Service Ribbon in the order of precedence.", yet it is shown as immediately ABOVE the RSR on attachment 2. Which is it?

Correct, above the RSR would be before it in order of precedence, as you would count top down.
Capt Matt Thompson

Eclipse

Quote from: rdmcii on December 01, 2021, 05:39:40 PMParagraph 2 states: "This award ranks immediately before the Red Service Ribbon in the order of precedence.", yet it is shown as immediately ABOVE the RSR on attachment 2. Which is it?

I'm missing the confusion.

Before it and above it are the same thing in this context.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Capt Thompson

Capt Matt Thompson

PHall

It's the CAP version of the National Defense Service Medal. The award criteria is almost the same as the NDSM.

rdmcii

"I'm missing the confusion.

Before it and above it are the same thing in this context."

I see where you are coming from; I'm thinking bottom up, you're thinking top down.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: rdmcii on December 01, 2021, 09:31:49 PM"I'm missing the confusion.

Before it and above it are the same thing in this context."

I see where you are coming from; I'm thinking bottom up, you're thinking top down.

In order of precedence, before means next higher

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Capt Thompson on December 01, 2021, 06:06:58 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 01, 2021, 05:52:48 PM

https://www.vanguardmil.com/products/civil-air-patrol-ribbon-national-crisis-senior-and-cadet

Would have been nice if they still had the 15% off going today, I have about 40 I will need to order for the Squadron.

You can still get 10% off with the promo code: FBDEC2021

baronet68

Quote from: rdmcii on December 01, 2021, 05:39:40 PMBefore this gets locked, I have a question:

The McChord Rack Builder shows the proper precedence.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Fubar

Quote from: Capt Thompson on December 01, 2021, 06:06:58 PMWould have been nice if they still had the 15% off going today, I have about 40 I will need to order for the Squadron.

I doubt the timing was a coincidence.

Shuman 14

Quote from: PHall on December 01, 2021, 06:11:51 PMIt's the CAP version of the National Defense Service Medal. The award criteria is almost the same as the NDSM.

Yes and no. If this "crisis" period ends, and they stop awarding it, and then a new "crisis" occurs, and they start awarding it again... then I would agree, it's the CAP version of the NDSM.

If they award it for just this "crisis", and it never gets awarded again, then it is the COVID Campaign Medal.

It does kinda look like a NDSM... with the middle colors reserved. Just saying.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

N6RVT

Quote from: shuman14 on December 02, 2021, 03:43:34 PM
Quote from: PHall on December 01, 2021, 06:11:51 PMIt's the CAP version of the National Defense Service Medal. The award criteria is almost the same as the NDSM.

Yes and no. If this "crisis" period ends, and they stop awarding it, and then a new "crisis" occurs, and they start awarding it again... then I would agree, it's the CAP version of the NDSM.If they award it for just this "crisis", and it never gets awarded again, then it is the COVID Campaign Medal.It does kinda look like a NDSM... with the middle colors reserved. Just saying.

Here are both of them for comparison.

Stonewall

Quote from: Capt Thompson on December 01, 2021, 06:06:58 PMWould have been nice if they still had the 15% off going today, I have about 40 I will need to order for the Squadron.

There's always the monthly 10% discount. Not much, but it's something.
Serving since 1987.

LSThiker

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on December 02, 2021, 06:03:18 PM
Quote from: shuman14 on December 02, 2021, 03:43:34 PM
It does kinda look like a NDSM... with the middle colors reserved. Just saying.

Here are both of them for comparison.

It is more appropriately similar in design to the US Public Health Crisis Response Medal, replaced above.

SarDragon

From a reliable source:

Scarlet, Old Glory Blue, Golden Yellow and White are in the National Defense Service Medal, and reflect the nation wide crisis, Purple from DOD Humanitarian Service Medal, and Silver for CAP (TIOH Color Palette).
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

N6RVT

Quote from: LSThiker on December 02, 2021, 07:35:41 PMIt is more appropriately similar in design to the US Public Health Crisis Response Medal, replaced above.

Agreed - just the inner two colors reversed from the looks of it.  The criteria for awarding it more matches the disaster relief ribbon, whereas ours is more like the army service ribbon as you get it just for joining the organization.  This will be the first ribbon anyone gets, even before the membership ribbon for level one.