Main Menu

Flight Jackets

Started by Pinecone, October 06, 2021, 01:41:26 PM

Pinecone

I am new to CAP (for the 3rd time) and will be flying with CAP.

Looking at the current 39-1, it allows the MA-1, CWU-36/P and CWU-45/P jackets.

Having read some threads on here, it seems the old 39-1 specified Nomex for the CWU jackets, but the current version does not.  The MA-1 has always been nylon.  So are the nylon copies of the CWU-36/P an CWU-45/P OK for CAP wear?

Eclipse

Nomex is not nationally required for any flight uniforms.

While there are some wings that have, or had, local uniform supplements,
Nomex has never been required at the national level (or at least not in the last 20+ years).

"That Others May Zoom"

Pinecone

I was going by some 39-1 excepts posted in other threads.

Thanks.

SarDragon

Quote from: Pinecone on October 07, 2021, 04:46:28 AMI was going by some 39-1 excepts posted in other threads.

Thanks.

You will find that quoted material on here can be outdated. Go to the NHQ website and read from the source.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Pinecone

Quote from: SarDragon on October 07, 2021, 06:10:26 AM
Quote from: Pinecone on October 07, 2021, 04:46:28 AMI was going by some 39-1 excepts posted in other threads.

Thanks.

You will find that quoted material on here can be outdated. Go to the NHQ website and read from the source.

I realize that, but this seemed to a snip copy of an older version that stated Nomex.  And the current 39-1 does not.  I was wondering if this was a conscious change or something got left out.

NIN

Quote from: Pinecone on October 07, 2021, 11:57:25 AMI was wondering if this was a conscious change or something got left out.

Honestly?  Probably more economics (ie. member cost) than anything.

While I'm a fan of Nomex (flew in helicopters surrounded by high-pressure hydraulics and 1000+ gal of JP4.. fire scares me), fire isn't a leading issue in GA accidents.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

GroundHawg

Quote from: NIN on October 07, 2021, 12:39:14 PM
Quote from: Pinecone on October 07, 2021, 11:57:25 AMI was wondering if this was a conscious change or something got left out.

Honestly?  Probably more economics (ie. member cost) than anything.

While I'm a fan of Nomex (flew in helicopters surrounded by high-pressure hydraulics and 1000+ gal of JP4.. fire scares me), fire isn't a leading issue in GA accidents.

Its usually the sudden stop at the end more so than fire

Imouttahere

If you're looking for a non-nomex recommendation, Gibson and Barne's Mountain Cloth FSL jacket is one of their CWU-45/36 pattern jackets. I have it in navy (bearded blue suiter) and I love it. Great quality. I got the CWU-45 with the thinsulate lining. I did end up going down a size to get a more trim military fit.

http://www.gibson-barnes.com/prod-293929/Mountain-Cloth-Fsl.html

The cloth is more of a normal non-satin appearance with a waterproof DWR coating. Looking forward to trying it out this winter in Maine.

As an aside, I never did understand why vanguard continues to sell the MA-1 which, other than preference, hasn't been worn by any service in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk