Main Menu

Why the lack of SLS?

Started by Pylon, May 29, 2005, 04:31:35 AM

Pylon

Why is there such a lack of SLS courses given around the U.S.?

In my own Wing, there hasn't been one that I can recall for quite some time.  I can't even find one upcoming in the Northeast that I can make.  There's only one upcoming SLS on the Northeastern coast in PA and it conflicts with the NYWG Encampment RST

It seems to me that there is a real lack of focus on Professional Development and assistance to help SMs progress in the program.

In my squadron, there's no PDO nor any Deputy Commander for Seniors.  In my Group, there's also no PDO.    Just the other day I was at a CAP awards banquet and chatted briefly with another SM who said to me something to the effect of:  eh, there's no need for me to take tests, or advance, or earn grade.  I can do what I want to do without any grade and just wear the golf shirt all the time.

Now, don't get me wrong - I have nothing against the golf shirt.  But it shouldn't be used as a way to hide the fact that you've been in CAP for years and you don't advance yourself in any form.  And what propagates this attitude of "I don't need to bother advance my training"?

It really perplexes me, as someone who always seeks out extra training and knowledge.  Why do we have this sub-culture within CAP?  ???
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

arajca

I don't know why there is a lack. National pays for one SLS per wing per year. All the wing needs to do is get a director - which may be the problem.

As for the subculture problem, there has never been an emphasis on senior member training. Personally, I'd like to see the Yeager be a required test and SM's be required to complete Level II if they want to fly or do ES after three or four years.  It may also be due in part to the number of vets and retireds in CAP. They have the knowledge and experience - generally - and don't see the point in the SM training and such CAP has. I would like to see more leadership and management training offered by CAP. Something that might help attract younger SM's by providing a benefit they can apply elsewhere.

pixelwonk

I'm unaware as to the lack of Professional development courses.  My wing has from two to three each SLS's each year and 1 to 2 CLCs and UCCs.  Are we beyond the norm?

Major_Chuck

I can't speak as to the why for your Wing or Region but here in Virginia we've averaged about three in the last year.  One was Wing sponsored and two were group sponsored.

This is a question you need to bring up to your PD folks at Wing and Region. 

-CC
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

BlueLakes1

We've had 2 or 3 SLS classes in the past year in KYWG. CLCs were a little tougher, they had to cancel 2 due to lack of interest in the past 6 months, but last month when they held it 26 members attended.

One thing we were encouraged to do at the CLC was to run a course in house, which we may do soon in our squadron. We have several members who need SLS but who can't take a full weekend off, so we're going to try to accomodate them by running it over several weeknights.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

dwb

NHQ only provides funds for one SLS and one CLC per year.  For larger Wings, that simply isn't adequate.

However, it is possible to run such a course without the NHQ-furnished funding.  We ran a CLC that was free last year; the attendees only needed to pay for the hotel, which we secured at a very nice rate.  We had a coffee can donation jar that people could toss some money in to help us cover the costs.

Mike, there is at least one SLS in NYWG per year.  There was one downstate last October (or was it September?), and I think one in western NY earlier in the year.

There is one in early October this year, if you'd like to attend.  Judy Hewitt is running that one, and she's a graduate of the CNY Group SLS, so you know she's got her poop in a group. ;D

From what I've seen in this Wing, there is a lack of people willing to run the course.  It's a ton of work for someone to take on as an additional duty assignment.

abysmal

So far as I know in the AZ wing we have 1 SLS & CLC each each and they are held at the same time in ajoining classrooms.

What suprises me is that we are not pushing these courses MUCH harder on all the senior members. I just attended my SLS and I wish someone had strongly encouraged me to do it years ago!
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona