Main Menu

NEC Meetin, CAP Budget

Started by abysmal, May 25, 2005, 01:03:39 AM

abysmal

COPIED FROM
http://capblog.typepad.com/capblog/2005/05/from_the_recent.html#more

The National Executive Committee met recently (13 & 14 May) in Cincinnati, OH.   

Out of this, a few nuggets have emerged from the minutes that I thought were interesting and informative about the inner workings of Civil Air Patrol and our national governance structure.  Its sometimes difficult for our newer members to understand how our organization is organized and run at the echelons above reality.

(Note: these are not the official minutes, but gleaned from notes taken during the meeting. There was more, but these are some of the more interesting points...)

FY07-11 Program Objectives Memorandum

"Reviewed & approved the FY07-FY11 Program Objective Memorandum and forwarded to the Board of Governors for final approval and submission to the Air Force.   
The Program Objective Memorandum lays out Civil Air Patrol's plans for spending Air Force appropriated funds during the next five fiscal years.   
Total appropriated O&M (operations & maintenance, I think -rCPg) funds requested averages $32.6 million per year.
This includes $8 million in unfunded requests for operations, and about $11.5 million in additional procurement requests with about half unfunded."

:: Wow, that's a lot of coin. 
Some line items I read pertained to things like flying hour requests:
25,000 hrs/yr for SAR/DR/HLS training,
15,000 hrs/yr for Advanced Technology Aircraft & HSI training,
10,000 hrs/yr for actual SAR flying,
6,500 hrs/yr for actual HLS flying,
10,000 hrs/yr for Cadet Orientations,
with an overall goal of about 115,000 hrs/yr on 550 airplanes.
(That works out to, as usual, just a shade over 200 hrs/yr for each airframe) 
Plus procurement of 20 C-182T aircraft per year, 100 vehicles per year after FY08, and more HF base stations.

Lets hope.
We hear about this stuff being called for, but seldom see the tangible results in the field. 
I wonder if I read these notes right: is that $19.5 million in "unfunded" requests? Wow.

2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

Major_Chuck

I have to disagree.  I have seen tangible results come through in the way of additional funding for SAR training, O'rides, Glider Programs, as well as DDR and cadet programs. 

It all depends upon how active your wing is and how aggressive the leadership is at going after the dollars when it becomes available.  Here in Virginia we have been fairly active across the board and it has paid off where I know some wings haven't and it has literally cost them.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

abysmal

Would you be so kind as to offer some insight into exactly how the "Wing" level of CAP goes about soliciting national for its budget?
I would like to understand the process..

Major_Chuck

I will tell you how I understand the process to work, I am in no way a Finance Officer but listen intently at staff meetings.

We've got two budgets in play.  One is the appropriated funds, i.e. monies that come from the Air Force and non-appropriated funds;  money that is raised by the 'Corporation' from membership dues, CAPMart sales, donations, investments, etc.  (That whole Air Force Auxiliary versus CAP Corporation thing).

Once National has established a budget it is then distributed amongst the eight regions based upon activity levels.  Aerospace Education, Cadet Programs, Emergency Services, O Flights, Glider Programs etc.  A Region may recieve a higher percentage of Glider Money and a lower AE budget based upon activity and participation.  A very active Region ES wise may have a lower CP budget, again depending upon activity in that region.

The Eight Region Commanders then distribute their share to their Wings again based upon activity.  If Wing "A" is very active in SAR versus Wing "B";  "A" gets more money. 

At various times during the fiscal year Air Force may come back to CAP and say, "We've come up with an additional $25 grand for O-Flights,  distribute as you will."  At this point National looks at the reports that have come in from the field based upon Region activity levels and may offer the Regions additional funding.  Once again the Region Commander determines which wings in his command gets the extra money.

CAP may receive donations from corporations.  Garmin, Cessna, etc may sign on to provide "X" amount of dollars that is then funneled back into the system and it starts all over again.

Many Wings also receive support from their States.  Depending upon the state and what kind of fiscal shape the'yre in you could see $25,000 up to $1,000,000. 

How does a Wing Commander lobby for a larger share of the budget?  It probably varies but I know that it involves a fair degree of politics.

The same process goes for assignment of new vehicles, aircraft, computers, etc.  Activity of the Wing dictates who gets the new toys.  Virginia Wing has a very active flying program across the board and we ended up with new Cessna #4 two months ago.

I hope this wasn't too long winded but insightfull.

-Chuck
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

abysmal

Thank you very much.
Thats my first insight into the finances of CAP since I first joined in 1979...

What that tells me is that there is some REAL power vested with our Region and Wing commanders.
Those that control the purse strings have the real power in any organization.

Now, given that National, Region and Wing GIVETH the money, do they also have the authority to TAKETH AWAY just as easily ??

Major_Chuck

Quote from: abysmal on May 25, 2005, 11:33:32 PM
Thank you very much.
Thats my first insight into the finances of CAP since I first joined in 1979...

What that tells me is that there is some REAL power vested with our Region and Wing commanders.
Those that control the purse strings have the real power in any organization.

Now, given that National, Region and Wing GIVETH the money, do they also have the authority to TAKETH AWAY just as easily ??

I haven't heard of a Wing having their money taken but I  do know that Wing Commanders have been axed for failing to account for their money. 

There is also the other side of the axe,  Region Commander gives you $50,000 and you don't spend it.  The old use it or lose it rule kicks in. Next  year you may get nothing.

I've also seen situations where Region's will hold on to money allocated for an activity and if a Wing doesn't conduct that activity or flying falls off, etc they money is reallocated to a more active wing.

-CC
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS