Main Menu

RoboGeo Set-Up

Started by Capmonkey, July 17, 2018, 09:12:51 PM

Capmonkey

Hey, guys.
     I was recently asked to get involved in photo processing. I was given the link to download RoboGeo, and I did. I just want to make sure I set it up right, as well as any tips. The link I was given should make the program set to the preferences of CAP, but I just want to make sure. I've already contacted some Seniors for help and am awaiting there response. Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
C/Maj Capmonkey

etodd

Please allow me to sidetrack a moment:

Are you currently qualified as an AP? Or just getting started? If just getting started, make sure you are using the May 2013 version of the AP Mission Task Guide (or later versions so).  Even that version is badly outdated now.

The reason I ask is that, at least for my Wing, we don't ever use RoboGeo any more. Maybe some Wings (yours?) has some clients that still like watermarked images. But CAP's major clients, especially FEMA (flooding, hurricanes, etc.) want unedited, right out of the camera jpegs, uploaded as soon as the plane lands. Using the FEMA Uploader software directly to the FEMA servers so the images immediately start showing up on the online maps FEMA personnel anywhere can view and evaluate the data in the images.

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

etodd

My daytime job for the last few decades has been as an aerial photographer. I shoot RAW and spend lots of time editing in LightRoom, PhotoShop and more. When I started shooting for CAP, it killed me to upload files right out of the camera without any processing. But I quickly understood that FEMA needs the data in the imagery. Its not about being 'pretty'.  How much of the school roof is still intact? Which roads are passable for first responders to gain access?  The river is still rising. How close is it to those houses now?  Thats what they are looking for.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."