Safety Stand Down day question

Started by Holding Pattern, December 13, 2017, 06:53:48 AM

Holding Pattern

Where are the Safety Stand Down rules and regs documented?

EDIT: Found my answer:

CAPR 62-1

4.l:

"l. An annual Safety Day will be held in all active units during the months of January,February or March to focus on improving safety knowledge and attitudes. This will require a day focused entirely on safety subjects applicable to the unit. The Safety Day education to meet this requirement may take place at a regularly scheduled unit meeting providing the entire academic content for that meeting is devoted to safety."

TheSkyHornet

"Safety Day."
Not "Safety Down Day" or "Safety Stand Down." Those are misnomers that float around.

I strongly encourage you stay flexible with the whole "entire academic content devoted to safety" and be creative. This does not imply the need to hold hour-long safety discussions and PowerPoints. Discuss safety planning and risk management, yes, but incorporate it into bigger activities during the meeting if you can.

Get creative. Maybe review the RM points for hazardous weather conditions. Then provide a few pre-written scenarios of an activity with some realistic weather reports. Have groups conduct 10-minute planning sessions to develop risk controls and/or alter the activity plan, or even make decisions for go/no-go thought processes. Try planning an actual upcoming activity around this.

It should apply to your unit's anticipated/regularly-performed activities (including locale, type of activity conducted, personnel used, and operational equipment).

I prefer March, mostly because of the potential climate. I embrace the ability to get outside since most of our year is spent doing something outdoors, especially our weekend activities.

arajca

Last time, we used a Online Safety class as part of it and we were able to fill a CD lesson as well. Feel free to make the lessons multi-functional.

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on December 13, 2017, 06:12:00 PM
Last time, we used a Online Safety class as part of it and we were able to fill a CD lesson as well. Feel free to make the lessons multi-functional.

Fill a  CD lesson? 

The day is supposed to be Safety-only focused.

Yes, that means that the entirety of the day, evening, or unit meeting has to be "all safety / all the time".  The way TheSkyHornet is
doing it sound fine, but unless you can weave "CD-Safety" into the above, anything other then safety curriculum is explicitly prohibited if you want credit as the SSD.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

It can still be done.

1. How to be safe -- do not fly CD wearing a CAP uniform.
2. How to be safe -- using corporate planes while flying on a circle over a suspected drug patch in what appears to be a search may be dangerous, airplane can be shot at.
3. How some weed plots in national parks have been booby trapped.
4. How using illegal drugs can mess you up.
5. How using legal drugs can mess you up and cost you other ways.

Still, not much to fill an entire meeting, I think.

Would like to know how Arajca managed it.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

NC Hokie

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on December 13, 2017, 07:18:39 PM
It can still be done.

<SNIP>

Still, not much to fill an entire meeting, I think.

Would like to know how Arajca managed it.

My guess is that CD in his case meant Character Development.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Eclipse

Quote from: NC Hokie on December 13, 2017, 08:06:49 PM
My guess is that CD in his case meant Character Development.

Even that would marginal unless it's a safety-related CDI, maybe the online one.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Character Development can go hand-in-hand with safety, granted you have the senior members involved somehow as well. I would consider Drug Demand Reduction to have a role in both Character Development and Safety Education, as well as the Wingman/Battle Buddy concept.

So there is some crossover if it works.

I think this is more one of those integrity cases. It's hard to prove that the Safety Day really stuck to the intent of it. That's where documenting it on a training schedule makes sure it's understood across the unit that this is how the unit structures its Safety Day (these classes, at these times, and these instructors).

Remember:
Your Safety Officer does not need to be the person teaching these classes, and really shouldn't be. These are great opportunities to get cadets involved in stepping up (both in planning and execution), as well as other senior members. The Safety Officer should oversee the coordination of the plan and facilitate discussions, but should not do all of the heavy lifting and running the show.

James Shaw

If you are looking for ideas for the Safety Stand Down think about some of these.

Squadron Level - Activities the squadron may be doing at the time or have planned in the near future.
a) PT Tests
b) Any activities such as a ground team training, first aid training, conditions associated with such.
c) Local hazards such as insects in the area that can cause harm if bitten by one of them. (Hobo Spiders, Brown Recluse, and Black Widows for example)
d) Frostbite from cold weather activities.

Group/Wing Level Activities
a) SAREX Planning
b) Risk Management Practices
c) The use of the buddy system.
d) Encampment preparation.

General Awareness for:
a) Hazardous Communications / Chemical Exposure
b) The use of Fire Extinguishers
c) Holiday Safety (Christmas Trees)
d) Vehicle Emergency Kits

There are tons of resources both within CAP and outside of CAP that would make great topics.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

Luis R. Ramos

How can Holiday Safety -- Christmas Trees be a relevant topic for Safety Day?

Safety Day has to be done, per regs, on Jan, Feb, or Mar. Christmas is over by then, unless we are extending it, Puerto Rican style, to Jan 7 -- Magii visit...

Or Kwanzaa...?

Although some people extend that Holida;y to April, not putting down the decorations...

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

James Shaw

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on December 13, 2017, 11:18:31 PM
How can Holiday Safety -- Christmas Trees be a relevant topic for Safety Day?

Safety Day has to be done, per regs, on Jan, Feb, or Mar. Christmas is over by then, unless we are extending it, Puerto Rican style, to Jan 7 -- Magii visit...

Or Kwanzaa...?

Although some people extend that Holida;y to April, not putting down the decorations...

So put something else in its place. No big deal.

How about noise and hearing conservation. taken care of :)
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current