Main Menu

Patron Status

Started by West MI-CAP-Ret, November 15, 2017, 05:58:15 PM

kwe1009

Quote from: MacGruff on November 17, 2017, 04:09:13 PM
"it's the only pay we get". Recognizing accomplishments, and saying a public "thanks" always goes a long way towards making people think that the time they spend on CAP things is worth their while.

Agreed.  From a Squadron/Group/Wing CC perspective it does not take much effort to do a simple public promotion or award presentation but for some members it could mean the difference between renewing and not renewing their membership.

One of the top priorities of a leader in any organization is to take care of their people.  If you aren't properly recognizing their accomplishments, what are you doing that is more important?

Fubar

Quote from: kwe1009 on November 17, 2017, 02:45:45 PMIt really is sad that so many Wings/Groups/Squadrons do not make the effort to recognize a promotion unless it is a cadet milestone (and sometimes, not even then!).

Cadet milestones are required to be recognized by the current cadet regulation (it even says who should be there to give the award to the cadet). There is no requirement for senior members and that's understandable given the disparity in requirements for cadet promotions versus senior member promotions.

Eclipse

Quote from: Fubar on November 17, 2017, 08:23:01 PM
Cadet milestones are required to be recognized by the current cadet regulation (it even says who should be there to give the award to the cadet).
The what now?  Real CAP leaders read FARs not regs.

There is no requirement for senior members and that's understandable given the disparity in requirements for cadet promotions versus senior member promotions.

There should be.  With no disrespect to the effort a cadet puts in to progress, they can do three, maybe even 4 in a year if the dates align,
and their primary job in CAP is being served and progressing, adult members take years between promotions, have jobs, families, and "real" CAP work to do serving the organization.  An organizaiton which could not survive without them. Then there's the non-trivial issues of the later grades
being treated like they came with a check, and job, and housing, when in reality they are more a VG revenue stream.

The only thing more counterprodictive then no recognizing your A-Teamers, is recognizing the seat warmers who can get to all the conferences and
wing meetings, because, you know, they don[t actually have anything to do, which the hard-chargers running everything get passed over because they
don't have the time to waste with rubber chicken and Powerpoint (or they are backstage running things).

It's rough being Wing or Region staff and having to go all over Hell's Elbow no where to hand out a cert, but that's the job,
and if you don't do it, eventually you may not need to, and it's not like CAP is growing LIV and LVs at a huge rate these days.

Heck, instead of root-canals about files plans, SUIs and CIs should look at this kind of stuff that really matters.
"How many Majors did the wing promote and who was there to pin them?"

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

Quote from: kwe1009 on November 17, 2017, 02:45:45 PMIt really is sad that so many Wings/Groups/Squadrons do not make the effort to recognize a promotion unless it is a cadet milestone (and sometimes, not even then!).

Cadet milestones are required to be recognized by the current cadet regulation (it even says who should be there to give the award to the cadet). There is no requirement for senior members and that's understandable given the disparity in requirements for cadet promotions versus senior member promotions.

I am well aware of this but just because there is a regulation covering cadet milestone presentation, that doesn't mean that everyone follows it. 

It is also true that there is no requirement for SM promotion ceremonies but that does not mean that it should not be done.  There are requirements for who should present PD awards but that is usually not followed from what I have seen.

Fubar

Quote from: Eclipse on November 17, 2017, 08:53:51 PM
There should be.  With no disrespect to the effort a cadet puts in to progress, they can do three, maybe even 4 in a year if the dates align, and their primary job in CAP is being served and progressing, adult members take years between promotions, have jobs, families, and "real" CAP work to do serving the organization.

While I completely see your point, I suspect we disagree on the level of accomplishment of a cadet promotion compared to a senior member promotion. Cadets have to study, achieve a certainly level of physical fitness, and put in real work. Senior members simply sit through powerpoints, accrue time in the organization, and wham, promotion. I suspect we both know a number of seniors who have promoted who haven't actually accomplished much of anything nor provided any real value to the organization.

Now, to your point about recognizing those that are "A-Teamers" and the disservice we do them by recognizing those that really haven't done much of anything (as in just getting promoted on schedule), we're in complete agreement. It's not an issue unique to CAP by any means, but I also wish we did better at it. Since most commanders are willing to study to the test when it comes to SUIs, perhaps something on the PD tab aimed at how many commendations or "of the year" award nominations were authored over the past year. I fear this will just lead to more goofballs being submitted for awards, but perhaps that's a worthwhile price to pay to ensure the 10% that do 90% of the work get the thanks they deserve.

Quote from: EclipseThe what now?  Real CAP leaders read FARs not regs.

Oh, I thought real CAP leaders read AFIs and AFMANs, not regs  ;)