Trying to be highly sensitive

Started by West MI-CAP-Ret, October 28, 2017, 08:41:39 AM

Chappie

Quote from: etodd on October 28, 2017, 04:24:27 PM
Everyone is just different. When my time comes, or if CAP is 'no longer fun' I'll simply just not go to any more meetings.  No goodbyes. No formalities. I don't expect a goodbye party or anything to frame for the wall.  Its not like leaving a paying job, where you have to make sure to get your pension in order, etc.

I can understand the 'personal satisfaction' aspect of wanting to go out as a Major. But its not like you're going to get a bigger pension because of it. ;)

Exactly my sentiments about leaving.  I already have obtained enough plaques and certificates to wallpaper 4 houses, nothing more is needed.   I have accomplished a great deal in CAP and have both the public recognition and personal satisfaction of a job well done.  When the time comes to call it a day. I have no regrets regarding my service in CAP.  It will be time to move on to a new adventure.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Cliff_Chambliss

Floated in and out of CAP several times.  Every time when it quit being "fun" I would just quit attending meetings, let my annual membership run out and disappear.  The only exception was my most recent (and final) departure.  The squadron was being dissolved and at a meeting the then commander was asking everyone their preference as to which of the other squadrons they wanted to transfer to.  I had already decided that I was not going to renew membership for another year so when he asked I just said none, I was done.  The only time I ever announced to anyone I was leaving before it happened.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

kwe1009

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on November 21, 2017, 01:56:10 PM
Floated in and out of CAP several times.  Every time when it quit being "fun" I would just quit attending meetings, let my annual membership run out and disappear.  The only exception was my most recent (and final) departure.  The squadron was being dissolved and at a meeting the then commander was asking everyone their preference as to which of the other squadrons they wanted to transfer to.  I had already decided that I was not going to renew membership for another year so when he asked I just said none, I was done.  The only time I ever announced to anyone I was leaving before it happened.

From the tone of your email it sounds like nobody reached out to you after you stopped showing up at meetings.  If that is true, that is very unfortunate and not the way things should be done.  CAP can be a great organization but too often we are our own worst enemy due to things like "good ole boys/girls club, toxic leaders, indifference, etc." Of course none of those are unique to CAP. I think too many people join CAP to try and fulfill some "glory" that they missed by not joining the military or leaving the military too soon.  I have already seen too many rank obsessed members in my short CAP career.

Eclipse

Quote from: kwe1009 on November 21, 2017, 02:08:35 PMI have already seen too many rank obsessed members in my short CAP career.

Ahem...That's "rank obsessed members...SIR!"

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

Quote from: Eclipse on November 21, 2017, 03:02:36 PM
Quote from: kwe1009 on November 21, 2017, 02:08:35 PMI have already seen too many rank obsessed members in my short CAP career.

Ahem...That's "rank obsessed members...SIR!"

My apologies.  Will 2 Wing Commander's Commendations be enough to serve as my penance?  I can have them in the mail to you ASAP.   ;D

Eclipse

That should suffice, but add in a "Certificate of Appreciation" for good measure!

"That Others May Zoom"