Main Menu

Wing Academies

Started by deepblue1947, October 18, 2017, 06:30:25 PM

deepblue1947

I am in the Louisiana wing and we are very fortunate to have the resource of a Wing Academy twice a year.  I was able to complete both SLS and CLC within 6 months of each other because of our academy.  I was curious to know if other wings offer Academies for their members.

Thank you
MG

TheSkyHornet

We have OHWG Professional Development Training Weekends usually twice a year (April/May and September/October). In fact, ours is this upcoming weekend.

deepblue1947

Hi Sky Hornet

That sounds very similar to what we do,  Our academies are held in May and October and run for a full weekend.   They do place a minimum on the number of registrants for each class and if they do not meet that number, they will cancel the class.  Thank you for your response.  I was just curious as to how many other Wings offer something like this.

MG

Eclipse

Many combine SLS & CLC into one weekend because it allows for maximizing the use of available
instructors and the two agendas can be lined up pretty nicely for openings, lunches, and certificates.

"That Others May Zoom"

Jester

We do ours at the group level annually.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: deepblue1947 on October 18, 2017, 07:01:17 PM
Hi Sky Hornet

That sounds very similar to what we do,  Our academies are held in May and October and run for a full weekend.   They do place a minimum on the number of registrants for each class and if they do not meet that number, they will cancel the class.  Thank you for your response.  I was just curious as to how many other Wings offer something like this.

MG

Same here. They have a maximum number of registration slots for each class (though, I have never seen it hit max, at least not announced). More than likely, they will cancel the class if there are not enough sign-ups. This actually happened for this upcoming weekend (two classes were scrapped due to low rosters).

Our PDO Weekends usually run with:
- SLS (Saturday and Sunday, 2-day course)
- CLC (Saturday and Sunday, 2-day course)
- UCC (Saturday and Sunday, 2-day course)

These are the normal classes almost always offered. Like your wing, a person may only sign up for one, not multiple courses.

We used to run TLC as a 2-day course. With the introduction of the new TLC curriculum, such as this upcoming weekend, they were offering TLC Basic and TLC Intermediate both on Saturday simultaneously. You could only register for one or the other. TLC Intermediate was cut from the schedule this Saturday due to low sign-ups.

I'll be assisting in instructing TLC Basic, with this being my first time as a PDO Weekend instructor. Other courses that I know of are a slurry of cadet classes and Airborne Photography.

Sometimes our PDO Weekends run concurrent with a Wing or Region Conference. They'll host the training weekend with a Friday night or Saturday night awards banquet/cocktail dinner. But generally PDO is a classroom-only event. Check-ins begin at 0700, Safety Briefing and Orientation at 0800, and 0900 class start; break for lunch; out at 1700; repeat the next day minus the orientation; mini "graduation" in each respective class.