Main Menu

Award Applications

Started by FNelson, September 18, 2017, 04:50:17 PM

Pylon

❗❗❗❗

Thanks to those who actually helped the OP learn about the process for documenting and requesting appropriate approval for awards.

For those of you bickering about who can and can't fill out forms, I suggest you listen up: take your curmudgeonly nitpicking elsewhere.

If a cadet had come to me with even an attempt at properly filling out a CAPF 2A requesting an award, I'd have been pretty darn proud that the cadet looked into the process of awards approval, learned something, and took initiative. I'd not have chastised him or her for their initiative or for "doing someone else's job." (because we all know there are tons of volunteer senior members in squadrons around the country complaining and ultimately leaving CAP because someone else was helping them do their work and there wasn't enough for them to do)

Lastly, I've about had it with some of these types of derailment of legitimate discussions by members who came here for advice and insight. This happens far too often. I'm posting this publicly here rather than addressing individual members by PM because everybody needs to hear this: Knock. It. Off.  Some people are soon going to be invited to take their internetting elsewhere if this tone and direction of posting doesn't change.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

LSThiker

Edit:  I should read the whole thread because my post after Pylon's was pretty anti-climatic.  His post deserves a much better post after those words of wisdom.  Sorry, Pylon.

Quote from: FNelson on September 18, 2017, 04:50:17 PM
I am a cadet who is approaching my second year of service and the 60 hours I need for my volunteer service ribbon and I need help understanding the application processes to get recognized for both achievements. I was reading some past posts on this site and figured out that I needed to fill out a CAPF 2A which I began to do, but then I began to have some trouble understanding how to proceed. I selected the boxes for the Red Service Ribbon and the Cadet Community Service Ribbon in section III and the section at the bottom of the first page for the signatures. Now that I have done this do I need to just turn it to my squadron commander for approval or do I need to make sure it gets to other people higher up on the chain of command (Wing Level?).

FNelson,

I would like to reference you CAPR 39-3, Section F, Paragraph 19:

Quote19. Administration Procedures for Award of Activity and Service Ribbons. The individual
member is responsible for preparing and submitting to the unit commander CAP Form 2a, Request
for and Approval of Personnel Actions, when the requirements for an activity or service ribbon have
been completed. The CAP Form 2a is then forwarded by the unit commander to the appropriate
approving authority. (If the unit commander has been delegated approving authority by the wing
commander as outlined in paragraph 18b, the unit commander simply approves the form and returns
it to the recipient for placement in the member's personnel file.) Upon approval, activity and service
ribbons are purchased by the awarding unit or by the individual recipient, as appropriate.

Both the Community Service Ribbon and Red Service Ribbon are considered "Service Ribbons". 

For the approval, it is dependent on your wing and/or group.  These ribbons are approved by the Wing Commander by default, but may be delegated to the Squadron Commander. 

QuoteWing commanders award activity and service ribbons to members of their staffs and to
members of units within their wings. Authority to award these activity and service ribbons may be
delegated to group and squadron commanders at the discretion of the wing commander

Therefore, it is best to fill out the CAPF 2a and submit to your chain of command.  They will know the routing.  Most likely, your Squadron Commander is the approval authority for these two awards. 

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Pylon on September 19, 2017, 02:32:59 PM
For those of you bickering about who can and can't fill out forms, I suggest you listen up: take your curmudgeonly nitpicking elsewhere.

This topic is different from any other OP how?

Quote from: Pylon on September 19, 2017, 02:32:59 PMIf a cadet had come to me with even an attempt at properly filling out a CAPF 2A requesting an award, I'd have been pretty darn proud that the cadet looked into the process of awards approval, learned something, and took initiative. I'd not have chastised him or her for their initiative or for "doing someone else's job." (because we all know there are tons of volunteer senior members in squadrons around the country complaining and ultimately leaving CAP because someone else was helping them do their work and there wasn't enough for them to do)

Which no one has said. As a matter of fact, I know in the past Eclipse encouraged me as a cadet to do just that.

Quote from: Pylon on September 19, 2017, 02:32:59 PMLastly, I've about had it with some of these types of derailment of legitimate discussions by members who came here for advice and insight. This happens far too often. I'm posting this publicly here rather than addressing individual members by PM because everybody needs to hear this: Knock. It. Off.  Some people are soon going to be invited to take their internetting elsewhere if this tone and direction of posting doesn't change.

You must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. EVERY. SINGLE.OP.HERE gets sidetracked, but there's always a core of good responses, and the discussions can lead to changing opinions as well. Not sure what your issue is today, specifically, but I'll take the advice, and take my internetting elsewhere from here on out.

Pylon

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 PM
You must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. EVERY. SINGLE.OP.HERE gets sidetracked, but there's always a core of good responses, and the discussions can lead to changing opinions as well. 

Thank you for providing me with an opportunity to highlight to the community the issue I just posted about. Instead of disagreeing with my moderating politely, we jumped right to the ad hominem about the side of bed I "must have woke[n] up on" today. This type of posting is not welcome here. Make note.

You're also right in that this has gone on far too long in nearly every single thread. You're wrong in that this is merely about threads that "get sidetracked" — wandering topics are not at issue. The tone, vitriol, in-fighting, belittling, snobbery, chastisement, and general maltreatment of other members and users is at issue.

This may be the first thread I've happened on since I've discussed these issues with other staff, but believe me — this is neither the only nor last thread where I'll be calling out this behavior.

CAPTalk was not created to be a platform of pomposity, bombast, and arrogance for a handful of CAP members or former members. It was designed to be a professional resource for all. The tolerance for this behavior stops now.

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on September 19, 2017, 03:59:21 PM
Not sure what your issue is today, specifically, but I'll take the advice, and take my internetting elsewhere from here on out.

Sounds good to all of us here at CAPTalk. Thank you.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

TheSkyHornet

We use have a Cadet Personnel Officer/NCO in our org chart responsible for assisting with this. I prefer the individual cadets don't do it themselves, mostly because it becomes inconsistent. But I commend the research.

For the sake of understanding job responsibilities, I'd prefer our C/S1 handles working with our C/XO and squadron Personnel Officer on these types of things, because I want it to be someone's "duty." It allows me to have cadets take on an additional staff role with a designated function than to expect everyone to do it themselves and, frankly, screw it up.

That's my own preference, but I suppose it's not wrong for cadets to take the initiative and prepare their own 2A. I would expect a level of guidance to go along with it. I would not expect A C/Amn to have a grasp on that level of reality. I guess, if they do the research, good for them. But expecting them to figure it out on their own, nah.