eServices now automatically adding Specialty Track

Started by Eclipse, August 23, 2017, 11:10:06 PM

Eclipse

I appointed a member this week as Assistant Safety Officer, and when the PDO
went in to add him to the SE Specialty Track, we found that he had already been added,
apparently by the system.

Certainly about time, and would negate easily closed, nonsense discrepancies, but this
is the first time I'd seen that.

Can anyone else confirm?

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

The Commander or personnel Officer probably beat the PDO to the punch. E-Services is not omniscient, somebody has to put it in.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

ßτε

Quote from: Eclipse on August 23, 2017, 11:10:06 PM
went in to add him to the SE Specialty Track, we found that he had already been added,

Certainly about time, and would negate easily closed, nonsense discrepancies, but this

Can anyone else confirm?
I noticed a few months ago. It even does it with temporary duty assignments.

kcebnaes

Can confirm! Last several times I've appointed someone, it did the work for me automatically.
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Great Lakes Region sUAS Officer
Various Other Things™

EMT-83

Why is this a good thing? What is gained by have a "None" rating in a Specialty Track that you'll never pursue?

Alaric

Quote from: EMT-83 on August 24, 2017, 10:34:25 AM
Why is this a good thing? What is gained by have a "None" rating in a Specialty Track that you'll never pursue?

It gets rid of annoying and meaningless findings during SUIs (i.e. (Is your (blank) officer enrolled in the specialty track)  Also one hopes that if you took a job you'd be at least a little interested in pursuing the specialty track

EMT-83

With very few exceptions, No does not mean a finding because there is no requirement to be enrolled in the Specialty Track. It just means No, move onto the next question.

Personally, I'd rather see someone enrolled in few Specialty Tracks and be a real SME, rather than be enrolled in many and not be able to answer a simple question about any of them.

Toad1168

Quote from: EMT-83 on August 24, 2017, 01:16:33 PM
With very few exceptions, No does not mean a finding because there is no requirement to be enrolled in the Specialty Track. It just means No, move onto the next question.

Personally, I'd rather see someone enrolled in few Specialty Tracks and be a real SME, rather than be enrolled in many and not be able to answer a simple question about any of them.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I see a push by some members to get as many ratings as possible, and they expect the same from others.  It IMHO, leads to a jack of all trades and a master of none.  Even if they have a master rating in something.  It's neat to have all those silver clasps, but as stated above, I would rather see someone who truly is a SME. 
Toad

Alaric

Quote from: Toad1168 on August 24, 2017, 02:10:44 PM
Quote from: EMT-83 on August 24, 2017, 01:16:33 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I see a push by some members to get as many ratings as possible, and they expect the same from others.  It IMHO, leads to a jack of all trades and a master of none.  Even if they have a master rating in something.  It's neat to have all those silver clasps, but as stated above, I would rather see someone who truly is a SME.

I don't disagree, but especially for those who are doing a current job, one would hope they would strive to become an SME in their AOR

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Eclipse on August 23, 2017, 11:10:06 PM

Can anyone else confirm?

You may have just recently noticed it, but eServices has been doing it for some time now.

Eclipse

Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 27, 2017, 11:23:25 PM
You may have just recently noticed it, but eServices has been doing it for some time now.

It might be nice if there was an FAQ or RSS of feature changes like this.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

It wasn't a change. E-services has been doing this for several years
1. Input CAPID
2. Enter Specialty track
3. enter level e-services will verify all requirements met
4. Pops up on CC's approval page
5. Appears in E-Services immediately upon approval.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Lord of the North

Now if we had a way to remove all of the NONE specialty ratings that have been there over two years with no advancement.

Eclipse

Quote from: MSG Mac on August 28, 2017, 12:01:07 AM
It wasn't a change. E-services has been doing this for several years
1. Input CAPID
2. Enter Specialty track
3. enter level e-services will verify all requirements met
4. Pops up on CC's approval page
5. Appears in E-Services immediately upon approval.

That's not what I'm referring to - this is:

Appoint member as "x"staff position, eServices automatically adds the corresponding specialty track to the
member with a qualification of "none".

Quote from: Lord of the North on August 28, 2017, 12:18:45 AM
Now if we had a way to remove all of the NONE specialty ratings that have been there over two years with no advancement.

That might still cause issues with SLS credit, though it really shouldn't by the program's rules.

The "not-a-requirement-requirement" of having the respective staffer enrolled in a given track has been removed, for at
least 2 revs of the SUI checklists, however units were still getting dinged for it, even though at best it's only
supposed to be an AOC now, but frankly not even discussed because what's the point?

"That Others May Zoom"