E-Services Activity and Service Ribbons tracking and New Member Search

Started by Anthony@CAP, August 01, 2017, 11:01:55 PM

Anthony@CAP

New E-Services feature for tracking Activity/Service Ribbons (CAPF2A items)

QuoteMembers may now upload previously approved activity and service ribbons through the "My Account" section of eServices. Simply click on the "Service Ribbons" tab on the left side of the screen to add previously authorized ribbons. The member can then enter the date and the ribbon earned. Ribbon submissions will be sent to the unit commander for validation prior to displaying in the individual's member record. Validation authority is also available to the Deputy Commander and Chief of Staff. The ability to award new activity and service ribbons is not a part of this module but is in the plan for future development.

Also, for those that haven't seen it yet, they have revamped the member search area, completely different look/feel (but the same information).

kcebnaes

There's also an Attendance Report!!!!! I'm checking it out now!
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Great Lakes Region sUAS Officer
Various Other Things™

kcebnaes

Okay, so I played around with this new implementation...it's honestly really nice! The only down sides are that for the attendance logs, you can only have people that are on the Charter-no ADY members(which most of my Group staff is) and no visitors. Other than that, it records: Attendance, if it is an excused absence, required forms, and if they were in uniform.

This has the potential for legitimately keep tabs on the attendance metrics, and actually use them for things like promotions and assigning duties.
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Great Lakes Region sUAS Officer
Various Other Things™

Spaceman3750

Quote from: kcebnaes on August 02, 2017, 03:13:06 AM
Okay, so I played around with this new implementation...it's honestly really nice! The only down sides are that for the attendance logs, you can only have people that are on the Charter-no ADY members(which most of my Group staff is) and no visitors. Other than that, it records: Attendance, if it is an excused absence, required forms, and if they were in uniform.

This has the potential for legitimately keep tabs on the attendance metrics, and actually use them for things like promotions and assigning duties.

Yeah I just input a back of napkin attendance for tonight's meeting and it's pretty good. I can't get the sliders to work with FireFox, I had to use IE. This should make life a LOT easier especially come SUI time.

SarDragon

I am not clicking the month button 612 times to enter my first Red Service ribbon. They need to allow manually entered dates.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ßτε

Quote from: SarDragon on August 02, 2017, 04:05:00 AM
I am not clicking the month button 612 times to enter my first Red Service ribbon. They need to allow manually entered dates.
In the calendar, click on the current month at the top center. It will switch to the current year. Click on that to change to a range of years. Continue until you find your date.

SarDragon

Thank you.

Now I only had to click something 51 times. But, when I clicked Create, I got an error message. It doesn't seem to like 2/19/1966, or anything else up to 2000.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

It gives an error message for dates after 2000 as well, but when you close the entry box, after all your service awards are entered, they will show up as waiting approval.

SarDragon

Yeah, I saw that. So now my CC will have a couple of dupes to delete. I entered nine RS ribbons, and one encampment ribbon. I need to look up some dates for the rest of what I need to enter.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

It's about time, however typical of NHQ to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory by making major
system changes unannounced, with no guidance or instructions.

Attendance is too long in coming - good point about visitors but you're not tracking them
for awards, etc.  I intend to pound the history of the entire time I've been a CC this round in there
if I can and see if things break.  Even with online tracking I think using the official sign-in sheet
is a good idea and then have the important info entered, since it doesn't look like everything we normally
capture is in the attendance log - hopefully it will evolve.

Reporting is critical to this in order to identify empty shirts - is there any? (every client I have has
decided they want to fill me year this week so I can't do a deep dive).

One weirdness - on my phone when I go to Member Search it gives me a nag about "leaving
a CAP site" (who, seriously cares?) and then circles back to the same URL, but I don't get that error on a regular PC.

"That Others May Zoom"

wacapgh

Quote from: SarDragon on August 02, 2017, 04:05:00 AM

Filed a helpdesk ticket on this.

Also:
Need to be able to indicate multiple awards on all awards - do I need to make 15 entries for my air Search and Rescue ribbon? Ticket filed.
Cadet Advisory Council  - has options for both "Cadet" and "Earned as a Cadet" the system will allow entry for both (with required multi-hundred "<" clicks on the calendar). Which is correct? The National Cadet Special Activities ribbon does not have the two options, but can be "earned as a cadet" so which is the preferred method? Should the system check your member status and not allow "Cadet"? Ticket filed.

CAC also does not have the ability to indicate what level - Group, Wing, Region, National. Ticket filed.

It's a great step forward in getting everything online, but not quite ready.

arajca

While we're adding to different needs...

Disaster Relief Ribbon - needs with and without "V" device

On the NCSA ribbon, it can be earned as a cadet and as a senior member.

Adam B

Hm. Needs levels for NCC, NCGC, and CAC... And the CommComm is missing entirely.

Doesn't really seem like it was ready to roll out quite yet...
Adam

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on August 02, 2017, 02:51:30 PM
Attendance is too long in coming - good point about visitors but you're not tracking them
for awards, etc.  I intend to pound the history of the entire time I've been a CC this round in there
if I can and see if things break.  Even with online tracking I think using the official sign-in sheet
is a good idea and then have the important info entered, since it doesn't look like everything we normally
capture is in the attendance log - hopefully it will evolve.

I've got most of mine tracked in Excel...time to enter into this. Wonder what happens with lapsed members who return?

EDIT: Oooooh!

It also allows for Present, Excused, Required Forms, Uniform Y/N selection...except they are set to No...so....meh...needs N/A

EDIT 2.0: Entered last nights meeting. Checked my own report, and shows me as not having CAPForms or correct uniform...so those need to either be checked each meeting and used, or manually set as Yes to all members.

arajca

Quote from: Adam B on August 02, 2017, 09:41:07 PM
Hm. Needs levels for NCC, NCGC, and CAC... And the CommComm is missing entirely.

Doesn't really seem like it was ready to roll out quite yet...
CommComm is under the Awards Recommendation as it uses the CAPF 120, not CAPF 2A.

Adam B

Quote from: arajca on August 02, 2017, 10:24:06 PM
CommComm is under the Awards Recommendation as it uses the CAPF 120, not CAPF 2A.
I only saw recommendation for new awards. I didn't see anything for listing previous awards.
I'll check again later.
Adam

arajca

wacapgh

Quick replies from helpdesk.

Selecting dates:
You can click on the "Month Year" area the option changes to go back by year. If you select that year again, the options change even more.

"Cadet" vs. "Earned as a Cadet":
This was not a requirement that was received for this release. We'll forward the request for further consideration.

Level/Multiple award selection:
No reply yet.

Eclipse

Quote from: wacapgh on August 03, 2017, 07:27:41 PM
"Cadet" vs. "Earned as a Cadet":
This was not a requirement that was received for this release. We'll forward the request for further consideration.

So no one with program knowledge reviewed the system requirements?  And / or the devs didn't reference
the regs themselves to cross-reference the proposed logic?

Which is why there should be extensive user testing and public comment before clicking the "publish" button.

Or they could just go over to the McChord Rack builder.

"That Others May Zoom"

wacapgh

By regulations Senior Members cannot be awarded the CAC ribbon, so is it really necessary to add "Earned while a Cadet"?

CAC, NCSA, Encampment - it's the same physical ribbon. At some point in your CAP career, you received proper authorization to wear it.

In most cases, it's a distinction without a difference.

The outlier is the Cadet Recruiter ribbon that "converts" to a Senior Recruiting ribbon. But that could be fixed by removing the "conversion" and just wearing the ribbon you were awarded, or eliminate one of them and just have one Recruiting Ribbon for all.

Again it helps move us toward a complete online records system, but we will have to go back and fix everything once the ability to add devices is implemented.