Main Menu

Am I being "Petty"?

Started by West MI-CAP-Ret, July 23, 2017, 03:02:32 AM

West MI-CAP-Ret

I visited our national h.q. website tonight (yes, it's Saturday, wife is away in California, I'm home with two labs, being distracted by The Greg Gutfeld Show on Fox, and I don't have a life) was looking for the Safety page so I can complete the no-longer-required monthly safety review so I can make my safety officer happy, when I read the Safety Risk Management letter from our organization's commander, dated last March, when it hit me...

This official memorandum for letter is not formatted correctly  Really?

The first person to write back to tell me the very first thing you notice that is soooo wrong with the letter, you'd have my undying respect.

Warmly, Dave
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

Spam

I assume you mean that the paragraphs aren't numbered?

(Oops, half time is over, back to the Copa Oro semifinal... USA! USA!)!

V/r
Spam

West MI-CAP-Ret

Ding, ding, ding...

Not sure about eternal gratitude, but close.

Guess it's not important except for us admin types.

Nothing important, but interesting (to me)

Remember the "official" AF letter back in 2000 or 2004, with a letter of censor against then Lt Bush TX National Guard, dated fm the late 60s?  Spent millions to prove the letter was false.  It was decided that the ink used did not exist back before the 1970s.  All that money spent when us old AF Admin troops knew the AF changed their official letter format around '92😆.
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

Eclipse

Petty? No, but your expectations at this point are probably too high.

In the last several years, especially, the formatting and appropriateness of many memos
and other documents seems to simply ignore standards, protocol, and in some cases the
very regulations they purport to support or amend.

Unsigned memos and supplements.  Supplements that appear randomly and unconnected to the related regulation,
and ICLs which violate the publications regulation in regards to their lack of an expiration, not to mention their necessity.

It also seems like a lot of this kind of thing is released without the kind of staff review that leaders of
large corporations use to avoid typos, grammar issues, protocol and regulatory breeches, and to insure the message intended is the one sent.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Well, we could always start formatting everything in 140 letter tweets, like our Commander in Chief does.  >:D

The grammar allowed by high school teachers in students' papers is disheartening. Even in college now. The millennial generation forward will be less concerned with formatting, as long as the information is conveyed.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Lord of the North

Also keep in mind that there is know NO directive to specify correspondence form.  CAPR 10-1 was replaced with a non-directive pamphlet.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: etodd on September 04, 2017, 02:14:13 AM
Well, we could always start formatting everything in 140 letter tweets, like our Commander in Chief does.  >:D

The grammar allowed by high school teachers in students' papers is disheartening. Even in college now. The millennial generation forward will be less concerned with formatting, as long as the information is conveyed.

My Business college specifically had TWO classes on proper writing/info conveyance. From paragraphs, bullet points, lists, etc, to leading with the point, and so on.

Eclipse

Quote from: Lord of the North on September 04, 2017, 03:38:18 AM
Also keep in mind that there is know NO directive to specify correspondence form.  CAPR 10-1 was replaced with a non-directive pamphlet.

Required or not, if NHQ isn't going to adhere to it's own published standard guideline suggestion, then why bother publishing them at all?

"That Others May Zoom"

CyBorgII

My wife works training many of these "millennials" at a financial institution.  She told me that increasingly, not only is grammar training going out the window, but now students do not even have to learn to write longhand cursive.  I started learning that in Grade 2 back in 1973.
Whaddaya mean I ain't kind?  I'm just not YOUR kind!

Ex-CAP Captain, now CG Auxiliary, but still feel a great deal of affection for the many good people in CAP.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: CyBorgII on September 05, 2017, 04:42:10 PM

My wife works training many of these "millennials" at a financial institution.  She told me that increasingly, not only is grammar training going out the window, but now students do not even have to learn to write longhand cursive.  I started learning that in Grade 2 back in 1973.

What financial institution requires longhand cursive outside of signing documents?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Commo

Also keep in mind that there is knownow NO directive to specify correspondence form.  CAPR 10-1 was replaced with a non-directive pamphlet.

Fixed that for you.

I do know that there is now no directive.  (Try to say that three times fast).

Commo

Commo

Quote from: Eclipse on September 05, 2017, 03:42:02 PM

Required or not, if NHQ isn't going to adhere to it'sits own published standard guideline suggestion, then why bother publishing them at all?

FTFY, too.

If this thread is about the grammar, typos, and inconsistencies that jump out at you however hard you try to ignore them...  well, I can contribute!

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

For the fellow pedants out there, if you're going to "fix" things, how about doing it all the way and adding that extra space.
Like this:

Also keep in mind that there is know now NO directive to specify correspondence form.  CAPR 10-1 was replaced with a non-directive pamphlet.

Required or not, if NHQ isn't going to adhere to it's its own published standard guideline suggestion, then why bother publishing them at all?

And for Commo, if you are going to start correcting its/it's errors, you won't have time for anything else.  8)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on September 06, 2017, 12:19:17 AM
For the fellow pedants out there, if you're going to "fix" things, how about doing it all the way and adding that extra space.
Like this:

Also keep in mind that there is know now NO directive to specify correspondence form.  CAPR 10-1 was replaced with a non-directive pamphlet.

Required or not, if NHQ isn't going to adhere to it's its own published standard guideline suggestion, then why bother publishing them at all?

And for Commo, if you are going to start correcting its/it's errors, you won't have time for anything else.  8)

Listen to him Commo, he speaks from experience! ;)

Commo

Quote from: SarDragon on September 06, 2017, 12:19:17 AM

Fortunately for us all and my time management, I reserve that for threads focused on grammar and formatting precision. :) Perhaps in the future, I could link Weird Al Yankovich's "Word Crimes" at appropriate point in the song for some variety.

Commo