2 sets of wings - presolo glider and solo powered

Started by Twhiteinco, June 29, 2017, 05:45:21 PM

Twhiteinco

I have 2 cadets who presolo'd at a glider academy (the academy Commander screwed up their solo certification but I digress) and solo'd at a powered academy.  Can they wear both sets of wings? This is not meant to be a discussion about the validity of presolo wings, they earned them and NHQ says they earned the right to wear them) so we just are trying to confirm if they can wear both and if so how they should be worn.

Abby.L

Only one set.
Pulled from 39-1
4.1.1.3.4.1. Aviation (CAP, USAF or other service Aeronautical, Space,
Cyberspace) and Occupational Badges (CAP and USAF). No more than a combined two aviation and
occupational badges will be worn on the wearer's left. Badges will be bullion, or shiny, metallic and
must match in material. Chaplain and CAP aviation badges are mandatory and will always be worn in the
highest position. When more than one CAP aviation badge is authorized, only one will be worn. If a
military aviation badge (aeronautical, space or cyberspace) is worn, it will be worn below any CAP
aviation badges....
(Emphasis mine)

This is just for the mess dress section, but I'm pretty sure it follows the same verbiage everywhere else.

(Edit: Have looked at all other sections and it follows the same verbiage.)
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

PHall

Basically it's up to the member to decide which wings they will wear on a uniform.
But, wings are also a mandatory wear item too per the 39-1.

Abby.L

Quote from: PHall on June 29, 2017, 06:19:35 PM
Basically it's up to the member to decide which wings they will wear on a uniform.
But, wings are also a mandatory wear item too per the 39-1.

I was looking at that, and actually found it funny because, for the aviator combo, they actually specify that the more "Senior" wings were to be worn. They used the example of pilot>observer, but should a cadet need to wear the aviator combo I'd say its solo>pre-solo. ???

It's these funny differences that make 39-1 such a fun read.  :o
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Twhiteinco

We were looking in 35-6. It is really helpful when the specific location of the guideline is included so THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!  I'm just a cadet sponsor member so not as familiar with where to find everything yet.