Cadets Earning Emergency Services Technician Badge

Started by Michael Mazanec, June 27, 2017, 08:51:51 PM

Michael Mazanec

Can someone point me in the right direction to find the requirements for a cadet to earn and wear the Basic Emergency Services Badge on the Blues uniform? I can not seem to find it anywhere, and was told that cadets can earn the badge - but not the actual technician rating.

Thanks

Eclipse

The requirements for the badge are exactly the same as for senior members, the specialty track is simply not recorded.

Your ESO, PDO, or CC (in that order) should work with you on completing the checklist in the back of CAPP 213.

https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P213_D7D06924C06B4.pdf

Note that it has not been updated since 1998, which predates many of the current systems and SOPs, so
the subjective "Knowledge of current process" will need to be substituted in some cases.

Should it be an issue, the ECI test, which no longer exists, has been waived until such time as there is a new
online test to replace it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Gunsotsu

Quote from: Michael Mazanec on June 27, 2017, 08:51:51 PM
Can someone point me in the right direction to find the requirements for a cadet to earn and wear the Basic Emergency Services Badge on the Blues uniform? I can not seem to find it anywhere, and was told that cadets can earn the badge - but not the actual technician rating.

Thanks

To echo what's already been stated with the corresponding documentation to back it:

CAPR 35-6 3.a. CAP Basic Emergency Services Qualification Badge: Complete all requirements of
CAPP 213, Emergency Services Officer-Specialty Track Study Guide, Technician Rating.
Cadets can earn the Basic Emergency Services Qualification Badge as they can complete all of
the requirements for this rating, though they cannot officially receive the Technician Rating until
they become a senior member.

The difficulty is the requirement to continually serve as an ES officer (primary or assistant) for one year per the checklist found in CAPP 213.

Spam

Suggestions:

As Gunsotu correctly points out, one snag is the service requirement. There is, however, the alternative of documenting service as Cadet Operations NCO/Officer, as the cadet understudies the senior member assigned.

In eServices, the unit commander should go to:
- "Personnel" module, then
- "Duty Assignment" module,
- "Assign Cadet Duties"
- Select the unit, and the cadet,
- Select the functional area (cadet NCO or cadet officer, as appropriate),
- Select "cadet operations NCO" (or officer, if appropriate)
- Assign by date.
- Multiple cadets can be assigned.

The same module is used to appoint CAC reps and Cadet Staff, and remove them after their terms. Note, this is the official way to get cadet credit in eservices for their staff assignments, and as such should serve as verifiable documentation for badges. Note, its very important for unit/CCs and CDCs to document those duty assignments, as they are the official record that shows up when cadets apply for consideration for staff at encampments and NCSAs, apply for CAP scholarships, and so forth. "This will (hopefully) go down on your PERMANANT RECORD"...

SDA Staff Service:  Reference https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P052_014_8605254CD870D.pdf, see Figure 1 (Staff Service, Phase IV).

Its also worth remembering that cadet officers have, in addition to writing SDA analyses, a mandatory SDA staff service requirement to apprentice under a specific unit staff officer (once in Phase III, once in Phase IV). For Phase IV, the Operations Officer (Ach. 14) is one option. So, working towards the DO badge would give a Phase IV cadet a leg up on knocking out that requirement for promotion.

V/r
Spam

Michael Mazanec

Thanks for the replies, I was aware of how the Seniors earned the badges, but was not sure if cadets were required to complete the whole 213 Technician task list in order to earn the badge. I appreciate the help and information.

Meridius

Here are some questions since CAPP 213 hasn't been updated since 1998:

1)  What is the status of the rewrite for CAPP 213, Emergency Services Officer? 
2)  The online class/testing? 
3)  Will the requirement for serving as a Wing/Region ESO (or assistant) still remain?  Or can Group involvement count for this requirement?
4)  Complete the Inland SAR Planner's Course conducted by the USCG SAR school, AFRCC SAR Management Course, or an ES school conducted and/or approved by National HQ CAP/DO.  Does this include NESA ICSS or MAS and if so, what level...advanced courses, IC?

4 above is rather a large set since there are several mid-level to advance level courses taught at NCSA and WESS (not include Incident Commander courses).  So which applies and who decides?

Might be an interesting conversation here...

jeders

Quote from: Meridius on July 07, 2017, 08:00:57 PM
Here are some questions since CAPP 213 hasn't been updated since 1998:

1)  What is the status of the rewrite for CAPP 213, Emergency Services Officer? 
2)  The online class/testing? 

No clue, but I personally am hoping that they will be updated soon as a part of the wholesale publications redo going on.

Quote3)  Will the requirement for serving as a Wing/Region ESO (or assistant) still remain?  Or can Group involvement count for this requirement?

For right now, the service requirements stand. Once the publication is updated, who knows, though I imagine this will remain.

Quote4)  Complete the Inland SAR Planner's Course conducted by the USCG SAR school, AFRCC SAR Management Course, or an ES school conducted and/or approved by National HQ CAP/DO.  Does this include NESA ICSS or MAS and if so, what level...advanced courses, IC?

NESA is an ES school conducted and approved by NHQ, so I would say that any NESA school counts.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

Quote from: jeders on July 07, 2017, 08:43:14 PM
Quote4)  Complete the Inland SAR Planner's Course conducted by the USCG SAR school, AFRCC SAR Management Course, or an ES school conducted and/or approved by National HQ CAP/DO.  Does this include NESA ICSS or MAS and if so, what level...advanced courses, IC?

NESA is an ES school conducted and approved by NHQ, so I would say that any NESA school counts.

Not the same thing - I would argue that if NHQ want(s)(ed) to approve a specific school within NESA such as the IC school,
that would be one thing, but not all the schools during NESA rise to the level of SAR Planning.  The MAS and GSAR are primarily
about executing the plans made by other people, and the operator-level skills needed to do so.

For example, while a GTM or MO might be aware that NTAP data is being used in the ICP to establish the sortie directives, etc,
they wouldn't / shouldn't be touching that data or plotting  it themselves.

The SAR School and BISC are about the science of SAR vs. the physical of it.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: Eclipse on July 07, 2017, 09:23:10 PM
Quote from: jeders on July 07, 2017, 08:43:14 PM

Not the same thing - I would argue that if NHQ want(s)(ed) to approve a specific school within NESA such as the IC school,
that would be one thing, but not all the schools during NESA rise to the level of SAR Planning.  The MAS and GSAR are primarily
about executing the plans made by other people, and the operator-level skills needed to do so.

For example, while a GTM or MO might be aware that NTAP data is being used in the ICP to establish the sortie directives, etc,
they wouldn't / shouldn't be touching that data or plotting  it themselves.

The SAR School and BISC are about the science of SAR vs. the physical of it.

I tend to agree with you on the spirit and interpretation; however, in a spirit vs letter argument, the letter of the regs is "an ES school conducted and/or approved by NHQ/DO." So really, this question needs to be asked of John Desmarais.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse