Easiest and Hardest ribbons to attain?

Started by jfkspotting, June 17, 2017, 07:15:10 PM

ColonelJack

Quote from: Offutteer on June 29, 2017, 09:40:55 PM
I think that the Frank F. Borman Falcon Award, the Wartime Service Ribbon, the Blue Service Ribbon and the White Service Ribbon would be the most difficult to get, since they aren't awarded anymore...

Ah, not necessarily.  Getting them is pretty easy - assuming, of course, you can find a collector who will sell one of them to you.  (The Falcon ribbon was still available as recently as the CAP-MART era, but I don't know if Vanguard is offering them, and I don't have the time right now to check.)

Earning the right to wear one officially on one's uniform, however, is not difficult ... it's impossible.

Abracadabra.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Ned

I think that the Frank F. Borman Falcon Award [. . .] would be the most difficult to get.

Meh.  I have one, and I think the total effort expended was writing two renewal checks. 

Of course, the original "ribbon" was actually a small enameled metal piece that was particularly difficult to mount in the ribbon rack.  The actual ribbon came along later.

GaryVC

Quote from: Ned on June 30, 2017, 04:19:12 PM
I think that the Frank F. Borman Falcon Award [. . .] would be the most difficult to get.

Meh.  I have one, and I think the total effort expended was writing two renewal checks. 

Of course, the original "ribbon" was actually a small enameled metal piece that was particularly difficult to mount in the ribbon rack.  The actual ribbon came along later.

I think the concept behind the Falcon award was entirely wrong from the beginning. That's probably why it was eventually done away with. What they should have created was an award for former cadets (probably with a minimum of a Mitchell award or a Certificate of Proficiency) who had made a success in their adult life. However, that would have been very difficult to quantify which might be why it never happened.

Mustang

Quote from: Eclipse on June 19, 2017, 03:51:17 PMA DSA, by regulation, requires impact at the national level and CSAG
approval. I can't imagine an activity or staff service that had a scope of less then Region-level which would also rise to the attention of the CSAG.

I can. [emoji41]
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

AlphaSigOU

And there are something like less than 200 Falcon Awards; even rarer than the Spaatz.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Mustang

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on July 17, 2017, 01:31:25 PM
And there are something like less than 200 Falcon Awards; even rarer than the Spaatz.
In this case, rarity does not equate to difficulty. The Spaatz was the summit of the hill climb, the Falcon was literally given out to any Spaatz recipient who remained in CAP for two years after turning senior. Hardly an accomplishment.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "