Main Menu

OK's and No-No's

Started by SARMedTech, May 31, 2007, 02:04:24 AM

SARMedTech

Can anyone out there point me in the direction of the regs that say what ground team members are allowed to carry in their packs, on their persons or on other LBE and what things or equipment are strictly forbidden. Im genuinely asking a serious question as I try to learn. Also, is there one type of LBE alone that is allowed or is their some discretion left up the the member as to how he will arrange, pack and haul his gear. In addition to what we can carry and what we absolutely cannot, could you also provide some input on what MUST be carried and if anyone wants to offer some photos of various LBE rig setups, Please PM me and I will be happy to give you my email address.

Thank you in advanced for your helpful replies.

Semper Vigilans!
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

RiverAux

look in the ground team/UDF Task book. 

SJFedor

There's a basic list in the task guide for the different levels. Most of it is common sense stuff. You can use anything you want to carry it, but subdued/things that don't scream "weekend hiker", though allowed, may get you flamed.  :)

I dunno if there's anything on it in 60-3, but no BIG knives, bazookas, hand grenades, rocket launchers, etc.

Mostly, just use common sense. Things you'll use in the field. Leave the boom box at home (wish I could find the picture, someone help!)

And really be able to customize your gear for the mission. Of course, if you're doing a non distress UDF, you don't need the huge pack with the tent, 5 days of food, etc.

But other then the task guides at National, I can't think of a regulation that says what you do and don't have to have.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

MIKE

Quote from: SJFedor on May 31, 2007, 02:18:07 AMI dunno if there's anything on it in 60-3, but no BIG knives, bazookas, hand grenades, rocket launchers, etc.

Tactical Nukes are ok, right?  ;D

Quote from: SJFedor on May 31, 2007, 02:18:07 AMLeave the boom box at home (wish I could find the picture, someone help!)

This one?
Mike Johnston

JC004

MIKE, you beat me to it.  I will go cry now.

davedove

There are actually very few things that are prohibited, firearms being the big one.  You also shouldn't carry anything you don't know how to use.

There is a list of required and recommended items in the ground team/UDF task guide.

Other than that, you can carry pretty much whatever you think will be useful.  Just remember that if you're not going to need it, it's extra weight.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

ELTHunter

Here's a list I compiled for my squadron, mostly from the list in the task guide.

Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

LtCol White

Quote from: MIKE on May 31, 2007, 02:30:18 AM
Quote from: SJFedor on May 31, 2007, 02:18:07 AMI dunno if there's anything on it in 60-3, but no BIG knives, bazookas, hand grenades, rocket launchers, etc.

Tactical Nukes are ok, right?  ;D

Quote from: SJFedor on May 31, 2007, 02:18:07 AMLeave the boom box at home (wish I could find the picture, someone help!)

This one?

this must be one of the "urban" DF teams  >:D
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

badger bob

Quote from: ELTHunter on May 31, 2007, 01:05:10 PM
Here's a list I compiled for my squadron, mostly from the list in the task guide.

Good List
I tell everyone to carry a unwanted CD for use as a emergency signal mirror. Bendable with a factory made aiming hole in the center.
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

ELTHunter

Someone else showed my that recently and I think it's an excellent idea.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

Al Sayre

The CD or the player?   Come to think of it the CD player may not be such a bad rescue/safety tool, with the right CD you could definitely drive me out of the woods... :D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

badger bob

Also works as a long distance homing device :)
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

IceNine

The General rule as mentioned before is if you don't know how to use it don't carry it, with the obvious things being barred 1) no "Rambo" knives (fixed blade knives) 2) No firearms 3) No non-perscription drugs 4) no inappropriate reading material and so on.  For a list of what you "Must have" see the GT Handbook available on CAP.gov... And remember there are necessities and nice to haves you will have to carry all of these things so choose wisely.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

SARMedTech

Actually fixed blade knives are allowed so long as they fit the regulations and do not exceed length allowances etc and are not visible at crash sites.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

IceNine

OK, MY BAD... I rememberd the "rambo" part but neglected the other

Restrictions on Knives: You may only wear a sheath knife if authorized by your team leader. Sheath
knives cannot have a blade longer than 6" or a total length of greater than 11". The sheath must adequately
secure the knife and protect the wearer from the blade. If authorized, sheath knives will be worn only on the
pistol belt or carried inside the pack. The following knife types are not authorized: boot knives, butterfly
knives, switch blades, double edged knives, "Rambo" style survival knives, or knives with retracting sheaths.
Machetes or hatchets can only be carried by senior members when needed for that specific sortie. No knives
may be visible when the member is performing crash sight surveillance duty.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

floridacyclist

Quote from: badger bob on May 31, 2007, 03:35:33 PM
Good List
I tell everyone to carry a unwanted CD for use as a emergency signal mirror. Bendable with a factory made aiming hole in the center.

I'd be very careful about promoting a false sense of security with that myth...CDs are MUCH less efficient than a real mirror as almost every single mirror on a CD is pointing in a different direction (that's what makes the music instead of it coming out as DC current) making it impossible to actually focus a beam of light. In addition, the hole in the middle is nothing like a real aiming hole, which has a prismatic grid that actually shows you a white dot exactly where your beam is being reflected to; in fact, you can use it to aim a lighbulb's light and you will see a faded image of a lightbulb as your aiming spot, so you can imagine what the sun looks like in there.

Tests showed a CD to be as low as 20-25% effective as a small plastic signal mirror and testing by Colorado Wing concluded that as signalling devices they were useless. If I had to use one in an emergency (car crash, Metallica in the center console, all the car's mirrors shattered etc), I wouldn't hesitate, but I would never advocate carrying one instead of an extra mirror when something so simple can potentially save a life.

A real signal mirror is so cheap, I can't imagine any reason not to carry an extra one as a backup rather than a larger breakable substitute.

Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

isuhawkeye

^^^ thank you.  I have been trying to debunk the cd myth for a long time.