Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2017, 11:05:57 AM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  Operations  |  Aerospace Education  |  Topic: World's largest aircraft takes first flight
Pages: 1 [2]  All Print
Author Topic: World's largest aircraft takes first flight  (Read 2736 times)
PHall
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2016, 04:17:05 PM »

It is the difference between weight and mass: for this aircraft, essentially zero weight (i.e., force down) still has great mass that requires great energy in order to make changes in motion.

Just like things in space. Lack of gravity may make the items weigh "nothing", but the mass is still there!
Spam
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

Unit: GA-001

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2016, 02:01:39 PM »

Update:

Sorry, it took me a bit to find this again finally last night - a 30AUG16 news item.
There is a market for these things, it would appear, even with the oil and gas market of today:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/hybrid-airship-operator-forms-alliance-with-alaska-l-428908/

V/R
Spam

docsteve
Recruit

Steve's Musings on Life
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2016, 08:58:43 PM »

Just one thing that I don't understand: the Shenandoah, the Macon, and the Akron all went down due storms, so how exactly do they plan to operate this thing?
Steve Sconfienza, Ph.D.
former captain
SarDragon
Global Moderator

Unit: NAVAIRPAC

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2016, 11:37:29 PM »

Just one thing that I don't understand: the Shenandoah, the Macon, and the Akron all went down due storms, so how exactly do they plan to operate this thing?

Have more competent people making the navigation decisions in the air? Avoid storms better?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret
Pages: 1 [2]  All Print 
CAP Talk  |  Operations  |  Aerospace Education  |  Topic: World's largest aircraft takes first flight