New Book by Roger Thiel

Started by FW, July 22, 2016, 12:13:34 PM

FW

Spam

Thanks for sharing this.

Couple of thoughts here:
1. I'm not at all a fan of Thom Hartmann, nor do I share his political bias, but I think he did a good job with this feature. Good questions, fair treatment, and well done for not veering into trying to associate CAP with some of the oddball conspiracy theories out there. Just the facts... excellent.

2. I'm also pleased that the author seems to have avoided repeating some of the controversial "we sunk U boats" unfounded claims of the past; there's no need to inflate what is already an admirable combat record of our wonderful coastal patrol team.  From that basis, I'd be inclined to invest in his book.

V/R
Spam

Chappie

I gave it a "thumbs up".   Felt it was a very good presentation of our history.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

etodd

First he says the pilots were volunteers, then he says they were paid.

Has anyone fact checked the book yet?
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

DakRadz

As a volunteer firefighter, I got a reimbursement slash stipend per call. My standby pay was only $1.50/hr
Last year, too, not some 3 decade memory.

"Paid per call" is the proper term, but we still just say volunteer. It didn't pay my bills

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

LSThiker

Quote from: etodd on July 23, 2016, 03:29:34 AM
First he says the pilots were volunteers, then he says they were paid.

These two items are not contradictory in terms.  One can be a volunteer and still be paid.  Pilot and non-pilot members were volunteers in the way that they were not forced or drafted into the organization.  All personnel chose to be part of the organization.  The War Department reimbursed these members and paid a rather small stipend for food (although sometimes it took months to get paid).  These members were reimbursed for fuel and aircraft time.  It definitely did not pay the bills, especially if members had family back home.  Not all base participants were from the local area.  In fact, volunteers were from land-locked Midwestern states to coastal states.

sardak

QuoteFirst he says the pilots were volunteers, then he says they were paid.
On the Amazon page for the book:
About the Author
ROGER THIEL: Hailed as the "keeper of the flame" of CAP Coastal Patrol history for decades, and often called its most knowledgeable authority, Roger N. Thiel joined the CAP in the 1960s as a cadet and learned to fly in the "last taildragger class" of aviation cadets using older style aircraft.

In 1977, as an antique aircraft enthusiast, he took renewed interest in CAP's origins of using civilian lightplanes against invading German submarines during World War Two. Upon learning that some former pilots of the CAP Coastal Patrol held annual reunions, he traveled to Rehoboth Beach, Delaware in 1979 to meet veterans of CAP CP Base Two. This began a decades long dedication to this little-known part of American history.

Thiel has met and interviewed dozens of CAP anti-sub veterans from most of the original 21 Bases. He has given historical presentments on this subject over 200 times. He conducted forums on CAP anti-sub at EAA Airventure at Oshkosh for 30 years, 1984-2013. He was the featured historian for the 2001 History Channel segment on CAP anti-sub.

Thiel owns a 1938 Ryan SCW which served on CAP anti-sub duty. His other works about CAP anti-sub include an adventure story, "Enemy On Our Shores," to be published in 2016, a completed feature filmscript and a full-length novel in progress.

He is a 50-year member of Civil Air Patrol. Other interests include announcing airshows and other events, and community theatre and opera. With this book, Mr. Thiel is pleased to introduce the term, "airborne minute men," as an alternative to CAP's well-known term, "flying minute men." For more information about Mr. Thiel's research and aviation activities, see www.RogerThiel.com.

Mike

JC004

Quote from: sardak on July 23, 2016, 05:01:11 AM
With this book, Mr. Thiel is pleased to introduce the term, "airborne minute men," as an alternative to CAP's well-known term, "flying minute men."

I haven't the faintest idea what the purpose of this sentence is, or what it means.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: JC004 on July 23, 2016, 10:48:47 PM
Quote from: sardak on July 23, 2016, 05:01:11 AM
With this book, Mr. Thiel is pleased to introduce the term, "airborne minute men," as an alternative to CAP's well-known term, "flying minute men."

I haven't the faintest idea what the purpose of this sentence is, or what it means.

This is why you need to buy the book! Otherwise, you'll never know!

Chappie

Quote from: Chappie on July 22, 2016, 04:16:54 PM
I gave it a "thumbs up".   Felt it was a very good presentation of our history.

Unable to modify the initial posting :(

Clarification: Speaking of the interview -- have not read the book
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)