Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 16, 2017, 12:38:29 PM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  Hysterical History  |  Topic: Nuclear Assets
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Nuclear Assets  (Read 2020 times)
Nikos

Unit: ME038

« on: June 27, 2016, 12:37:38 PM »

Are all the nuclear assets (USAF & USN) under one national command, or does each Branch maintain its own control? 
Eclipse
Too Much Free Time Award

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 12:49:58 PM »

https://www.stratcom.mil/
(The fact that Stratcom's website pops a certificate error should help us all sleep better tonight...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Strategic_Command

"United States Strategic Command (USSTRATCOM) is one of nine Unified Combatant Commands of the United States Department of Defense (DoD). It is charged with space operations (such as military satellites), information operations (such as information warfare), missile defense, global command and control, intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (C4ISR), global strike and strategic deterrence (the United States nuclear arsenal), and combating weapons of mass destruction.

Strategic Command was established in 1992 as a successor to Strategic Air Command (SAC). It is headquartered at Offutt Air Force Base south of Omaha, Nebraska. In October 2002, it merged with the United States Space Command (USSPACECOM). It employs more than 2,700 people, representing all four services, including DoD civilians and contractors.

Strategic Command is one of the three Unified Combatant Commands organized along a functional basis. The other six are organized on a geographical basis. The unified military combat command structure is intended to give the President and the Secretary of Defense a unified resource for greater understanding of specific threats around the world and the means to respond to those threats as quickly as possible."

"The man who does more than he is paid for will soon be paid for more than he does." - Napoleon Hill.
The contents of this post are Copyright 2017 by eclipse. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

LSThiker
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

Unit: Earth

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 01:16:50 PM »

Are all the nuclear assets (USAF & USN) under one national command, or does each Branch maintain its own control?

If by nuclear assets you mean weapons, then STRATCOM.  However, keep in mind that nuclear assets also includes non-weaponized nuclear material that can be used for medicine, fuel, and research.  Those are maintained by the individual services and are separate from STRATCOM.  These assets are under regulatory guidance from DoD, DoT, DoE, EPA, DHHS, and USCG. 
Spaceman3750

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 01:30:26 PM »

(The fact that Stratcom's website pops a certificate error should help us all sleep better tonight...)

.mil has their own PKI/CA architecture, and the root CA does not participate in the browser trust programs like commercial CAs do. It has nothing to do with the safety of the site or the cert, you just haven't chosen to trust their CA. Remember the IWU days when you had to install the root cert for the .mil?
The moment any commander or staff member considers themselves a gatekeeper, instead of a facilitator, they have failed at their job.
I can't fix all of CAP's problems, but I can lead from the bottom by building my squadron as a center of excellence to serve as an example of what every unit can be.
Eclipse
Too Much Free Time Award

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 02:33:15 PM »

.mil has their own PKI/CA architecture, and the root CA does not participate in the browser trust programs like commercial CAs do. It has nothing to do with the safety of the site or the cert, you just haven't chosen to trust their CA. Remember the IWU days when you had to install the root cert for the .mil?

Yes, thank you.  Now I know how cookies and certificates work. What an amazing week!

"The man who does more than he is paid for will soon be paid for more than he does." - Napoleon Hill.
The contents of this post are Copyright 2017 by eclipse. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Spaceman3750

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 02:34:14 PM »

Yes, thank you.  Now I know how cookies and certificates work. What an amazing week!

Glad to help ;).
The moment any commander or staff member considers themselves a gatekeeper, instead of a facilitator, they have failed at their job.
I can't fix all of CAP's problems, but I can lead from the bottom by building my squadron as a center of excellence to serve as an example of what every unit can be.
DakRadz

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 02:44:47 PM »

Glad to help ;).

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Absolute gold.

(I also remember downloading the mil cert from a website that said something to the effect of "To ensure your browser trusts our websites as much as you obviously do")
Mordecai

Unit: SI

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 03:08:42 PM »

Actually, their cert is throwing a security error, not a trust error. It still uses SHA-1.

https://konklone.com/post/why-google-is-hurrying-the-web-to-kill-sha-1
winterg

Unit: SER-FL-182

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 11:38:51 AM »

https://youtu.be/tV6X73bGKD0

Transmitted via my R5 astromech.

raivo
Seasoned Member

Unit: Migrant

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 05:37:50 AM »

Late to the party, but some clarification: it depends on the context of the question.

Operational control resides with USSTRATCOM, as mentioned; the individual services own the delivery systems and perform day-to-day maintenance and operations, to keep the forces combat-ready and available for STRATCOM operations. The actual physics packages are on loan to the DoD, and owned by the DoE.

1Lt, CAP
Capt, USAF
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."
Flying Pig

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 07:22:32 AM »

When I was in the Marines it was always DoE Nuclear Materials Couriers we dealt with at the facility. 
PHall

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 11:52:05 PM »

I can neither confirm or deny that the United States Military processes or has control over any weapons of mass destruction.
SarDragon
Global Moderator

Unit: NAVAIRPAC

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 02:24:29 AM »

B61

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret
Flying Pig

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 02:04:50 PM »

I may or may not have had a job where I stood within about 5 feet of that with a SAW :)
Pages: [1] Print 
CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  Hysterical History  |  Topic: Nuclear Assets