Main Menu

Thank you

Started by KASSRCrashResearch, April 22, 2016, 01:30:47 AM

KASSRCrashResearch

I wanted to say thank you to the several members of this forum who encouraged me to consider joining CAP.  I have my first meeting next month so....yeah.   

Also, I would like to say thank you to the folks who helped me out with my request last year about the plan to search for a missing aircraft that was never found in Lake Michigan back in the 1980s.  The information and suggestions proved really useful and we've spent the past year getting other information and planning.  If all goes well, we'll be running a search up there in three to four months. 
I have complete faith in the continued absurdity of what ever is going on.

Eclipse

Quote from: KASSRCrashResearch on April 22, 2016, 01:30:47 AM
I wanted to say thank you to the several members of this forum who encouraged me to consider joining CAP.  I have my first meeting next month so....yeah.   

If you catch ground in the right way, CAP will be the most rewarding, frustrating, fascinating, consternating, exciting, boring thing you've ever done.

Ask all the questions you need to (here or in person), ask the second question, look it up if you don't think the answer sounds right,
and if you're still not satisfied, ask again.

Some things in CAP just "are", but you should have the whole story (with local flavor) when you make any important decisions, spend money, or time.
Good commanders and staff will not be afraid to answer intelligent questions, nor will they be concerned about revealing places where the unit isn't as cohesive as they would like.

Lastly, if the first unit isn't a fit, try elsewhere.  CAP is decidedly local for most members.

"That Others May Zoom"

KASSRCrashResearch

QuoteGood commanders and staff will not be afraid to answer intelligent questions, nor will they be concerned about revealing places where the unit isn't as cohesive as they would like.

Agreed 100%.  I actually had the deputy squadron commander who called me today to answer a question I had give me a pretty honest assessment of the unit, warts and all.

QuoteAsk all the questions you need to (here or in person), ask the second question, look it up if you don't think the answer sounds right, and if you're still not satisfied, ask again.

That's sound advice for any organization.

QuoteLastly, if the first unit isn't a fit, try elsewhere.  CAP is decidedly local for most members.

Yeah, I ran screaming away from one back home years ago because the entire unit seemed to have a weird vibe about it.  It was a free for all in terms of organization and I've been involved with ambulance services that were run like that so I took the a "Not sticking around for this circus" approach.  Thankfully, they shook off those issues a couple of years later and are now a great unit from what I can tell.  It just happens to be they are too far away for me to join.  I am really looking forward to working with them at some point in the future though.

stillamarine

Also, I would like to say thank you to the folks who helped me out with my request last year about the plan to search for a missing aircraft that was never found in Lake Michigan back in the 1980s.  The information and suggestions proved really useful and we've spent the past year getting other information and planning.  If all goes well, we'll be running a search up there in three to four months.

As a Michigan native I'm curious. What aircraft are you looking for?
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Garibaldi

Quote from: stillamarine on April 22, 2016, 01:41:30 PM

I thought there was a thread on in a couple years ago
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

stillamarine

Quote from: Garibaldi on April 22, 2016, 01:53:34 PM

I'll have to look. I took some time away from here.

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

THRAWN

Quote from: stillamarine on April 22, 2016, 02:04:23 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on April 22, 2016, 01:53:34 PM

I'll have to look. I took some time away from here.

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=11128.msg202992#msg202992
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

sardak

stillamarine

Quote from: sardak on April 22, 2016, 03:44:55 PM
He's thanking those who helped on this search  http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=18907.msg345967

Mike

He was posting the link for me. That is awesome by the way.

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

KASSRCrashResearch

Yeah, we're still focusing on the N4878G case as we move forward with the plans to establish a nonprofit around the search for missing aircraft and a couple of related topics.  We've really done a considerable amount of digging with the help of local agencies and a very interested reporter.  I think the biggest hurdle at this point- other than the time it will take to "mow the lawn" for sonar targets- is to find a boat to use.  The gentleman who originally offered us use of his boat has retired to Florida due to health issues so we are back to searching for a new option.

We are also doing background research on a few other cases.   The earliest is in 1969 and the most recent is 1997.  The more recent ones are up north and likely in fairly deep water (200+ ft) so I am working on getting a working agreement with a volunteer group in Michigan which has a ROV.  That means those cases are likely to be shuffled further back in the rotation whereas the cases that are "easily" searched for using divers ("easily" is a relative term of course, nothing in SAR is easy or these cases would have been closed years ago) while be given emphasis.