Main Menu

Paramilitary

Started by etodd, March 24, 2016, 05:07:51 PM

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: JeffDG on March 28, 2016, 07:17:24 PM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 28, 2016, 07:14:21 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on March 28, 2016, 07:08:02 PM
Quote from: MHC5096 on March 28, 2016, 07:06:21 PM
If I was adjudicating your N-400 and you marked YES, I would ask you some follow-up questions and when you mentioned Civil Air Patrol I would have you change your answer to NO and initial and date the change. That said, I obviously know what CAP is. Most Immigration Services Officers won't have a clue about CAP and won't be willing to proceed without issuing a N-14 Request for Evidence (RFE). Expect delays in the adjudication of your application.
If you mark yes, the instructions are to provide an explanation as to why.  No need to ask, the explanation in full detail will be provided.

Unless they want more information. Thus delaying the application.

Seriously. Look at the other questions. Do they sound like they are asking about things you hear on the news? War zones? Child soldiers? Nazi concentration camp guards? Those are questions about your life before you came to the US. CAP is not, and never has been considered a paramilitary organization in the sense the USCIS is interested in knowing.
Well, then they should word the form, or the official instructions, that way.

The moment I sign the N-400 I become a member of the Militia of the United States.  By the definition on the form, CAP can easily be considered a paramilitary organization.  My firearms safety course when I was 12 is "weapons training".

The last question was on my I-485 too, and I'm giving the same "Yes" answer to it.  Just like they worded the criminal history portion in such a way as it includes every parking, traffic or other ticket you may have ever received in your life.

Again, put down whatever you want. Hell, if you're into re-enactment and ever wore a Nazi uniform, answer yes for that one too!

Your yes won't kill the app, most likely won't delay it (by much if at all) even. But you're being overboard with this for no reason. When I filled out my app, I didn't even think of CAP for one moment. Just like I didn't think of my (aborted) US Army enlistment when it asked if I ever belonged to any military. Or my non-affiliation with the commie party, even though from birth until a few months into my life, my family was being paid by the state for raising a future defender of the motherland.

And for those interested, and inclined to take a look: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/n-400.pdf

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 28, 2016, 07:33:16 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on March 28, 2016, 07:17:24 PM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 28, 2016, 07:14:21 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on March 28, 2016, 07:08:02 PM
Quote from: MHC5096 on March 28, 2016, 07:06:21 PM
If I was adjudicating your N-400 and you marked YES, I would ask you some follow-up questions and when you mentioned Civil Air Patrol I would have you change your answer to NO and initial and date the change. That said, I obviously know what CAP is. Most Immigration Services Officers won't have a clue about CAP and won't be willing to proceed without issuing a N-14 Request for Evidence (RFE). Expect delays in the adjudication of your application.
If you mark yes, the instructions are to provide an explanation as to why.  No need to ask, the explanation in full detail will be provided.

Unless they want more information. Thus delaying the application.

Seriously. Look at the other questions. Do they sound like they are asking about things you hear on the news? War zones? Child soldiers? Nazi concentration camp guards? Those are questions about your life before you came to the US. CAP is not, and never has been considered a paramilitary organization in the sense the USCIS is interested in knowing.
Well, then they should word the form, or the official instructions, that way.

The moment I sign the N-400 I become a member of the Militia of the United States.  By the definition on the form, CAP can easily be considered a paramilitary organization.  My firearms safety course when I was 12 is "weapons training".

The last question was on my I-485 too, and I'm giving the same "Yes" answer to it.  Just like they worded the criminal history portion in such a way as it includes every parking, traffic or other ticket you may have ever received in your life.

Again, put down whatever you want. Hell, if you're into re-enactment and ever wore a Nazi uniform, answer yes for that one too!

Your yes won't kill the app, most likely won't delay it (by much if at all) even. But you're being overboard with this for no reason. When I filled out my app, I didn't even think of CAP for one moment. Just like I didn't think of my (aborted) US Army enlistment when it asked if I ever belonged to any military. Or my non-affiliation with the commie party, even though from birth until a few months into my life, my family was being paid by the state for raising a future defender of the motherland.

And for those interested, and inclined to take a look: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/n-400.pdf

When you have wanted something forever, and only have one shot to do it right, one tends to go overboard a bit. Personally I was fortunate enough to be born here, but I can appreciate the sentiment.

JeffDG

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 28, 2016, 07:50:23 PM
When you have wanted something forever, and only have one shot to do it right, one tends to go overboard a bit. Personally I was fortunate enough to be born here, but I can appreciate the sentiment.
Nah, I just wanna be able to do Counter Drug missions.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: JeffDG on March 28, 2016, 08:16:53 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 28, 2016, 07:50:23 PM
Nah, I just wanna be able to do Counter Drug missions.

Nor is it one shot.

MHC5096

Just make sure you study the 100 civics/history questions. Your exam questions will be randomly selected at the interview and we'll ask you up to 10 questions of which you'll need to get 6 correct to pass. Good luck.  :)
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: MHC5096 on March 28, 2016, 11:00:17 PM
Just make sure you study the 100 civics/history questions. Your exam questions will be randomly selected at the interview and we'll ask you up to 10 questions of which you'll need to get 6 correct to pass. Good luck.  :)

Or get 6/6.

JeffDG

Quote from: MHC5096 on March 28, 2016, 11:00:17 PM
I've not missed one of those questions that has been posed to me.  History is a minor passion of mine.

SarDragon

Make sure you get the Vice President's entire name correct. My ex kinda screwed that up during her oral questioning - called him George Mondale. She passed anyway.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JeffDG

Quote from: SarDragon on March 29, 2016, 01:37:12 AM
Make sure you get the Vice President's entire name correct. My ex kinda screwed that up during her oral questioning - called him George Mondale. She passed anyway.
For the love of God I hope they don't ask me what I think of the current Veep...

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: JeffDG on March 29, 2016, 01:40:14 AM
For the love of God I hope they don't ask me what I think of the current Veep...

Is that in your study booklet?

SarDragon

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 29, 2016, 01:55:47 AM
Quote from: JeffDG on March 29, 2016, 01:40:14 AM

Is that in your study booklet?

>:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Flying Pig

For the love of all that is holy..... just write "Civil Air Patrol" on your app.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 29, 2016, 10:00:01 AM
For the love of all that is holy..... just write "Civil Air Patrol" on your app.

There's a separate area to put down organizations you belong to.