INWG Conference: AF approved ABU transition

Started by Майор Хаткевич, March 19, 2016, 01:14:40 PM

Holding Pattern

Quote from: lordmonar on March 21, 2016, 04:05:25 AM
Quote from: PHall on March 21, 2016, 04:03:45 AM
Quote from: ProdigalJim on March 20, 2016, 11:49:07 PM
Except it won't look great because Vanguard will be our only manufacturing source.

AAFES makes CAP Name and Branch Tapes. And they won't get a C&D letter either! >:D
Nametapes.com still makes thems.   Vanguard only has the monopoly on CAP badges......not silver on navy tapes.....and never has.

nametapes.com doesn't seem to be active.

lordmonar

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on March 21, 2016, 06:07:12 AM
Except it won't look great because Vanguard will be our only manufacturing source.

AAFES makes CAP Name and Branch Tapes. And they won't get a C&D letter either! >:D
Nametapes.com still makes thems.   Vanguard only has the monopoly on CAP badges......not silver on navy tapes.....and never has.

nametapes.com doesn't seem to be active.
1800nametape.com
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Angus

Have you been able to get them to make Civil Air Patrol nametapes?  One of the last times the ABU rumor was floating I tried to prep before the onslaught and they wouldn't produce them.  This was white on dark blue which if I recall was the rumor a few years back,
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

JacobAnn

If Gen Myrick is there, I'm pretty sure that this is correct :)
[/quote]

Not only was he there, this slide was part of his briefing.  I doubt he is going to eat crow on this one.

SarDragon

Quote from: Member Who on March 21, 2016, 10:35:13 AM

Have you been able to get them to make Civil Air Patrol nametapes?  One of the last times the ABU rumor was floating I tried to prep before the onslaught and they wouldn't produce them.  This was white on dark blue which if I recall was the rumor a few years back,
Anything that says "Civil Air Patrol" comes under CAP's IP rights, and they have actively defended those rights in the past.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

THRAWN

Quote from: JacobAnn on March 21, 2016, 11:32:55 AM

If Gen Myrick is there, I'm pretty sure that this is correct :)

Not only was he there, this slide was part of his briefing.  I doubt he is going to eat crow on this one.
[/quote]

It would not be the first time a CAP GO said or did something that later proved to be in error...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Angus

Quote from: SarDragon on March 21, 2016, 01:25:03 PM

Anything that says "Civil Air Patrol" comes under CAP's IP rights, and they have actively defended those rights in the past.

I realize that.  Hence my asking cause last I knew Vanguard was the only one printing the name tapes that say "Civil Air Patrol", I was trying to find out if the poster had gotten someone else to print them in violation of a C&D Letter that had previously been issued. 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

SarDragon

And now that someone has posted that info, CAP can go after them (again?).
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Angus

Quote from: SarDragon on March 21, 2016, 02:00:24 PM
And now that someone has posted that info, CAP can go after them (again?).

Well last time I tried as I stated was a few years ago and they quoted the C&D to me at that time. Once we here back from Lordmonar if he's actually gotten name tapes that say "Civil Air Patrol" from them, then we know if a new letter needs to be drafted. 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

LSThiker

I had a company create Civil Air Patrol tapes with velcro on them at one time without any problems.  I merely had an order for my last name and an order that had CIVIL AIR PATROL for the last name.  I was expecting an email saying "sorry we cannot do that" but never got one. 

PHall

The last set of tapes I brought were ordered from the Clothing Sales at March ARB. They arrived 10 days later, no problems.

Garibaldi

Quote from: PHall on March 21, 2016, 02:31:40 PM

The last set of tapes I brought were ordered from the Clothing Sales at March ARB. They arrived 10 days later, no problems.

One of our local surplus stores sells CAP tapes, no idea if they buy them from Vanguard or not, but they are very similar in all respects.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

Quote from: AngusW on March 21, 2016, 01:40:15 PMI realize that.  Hence my asking cause last I knew Vanguard was the only one printing the name tapes that say "Civil Air Patrol", I was trying to find out if the poster had gotten someone else to print them in violation of a C&D Letter that had previously been issued.

There are hundreds of companies that sell colored nametapes, including a small outfit based in Seattle run by a young fellow named Bezos who isn't likely
to be too concerned about an organization asserting legal ownership of common English words, sir names, or insignia used by hundreds of military and civil services.

One need only use Google as your guide to find several hundred, not to mention eBay or Alibaba.  The "Sword of a Thousand Truths" is harder to find.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Yes 1800nametape.com will make "civil air patrol" name tapes.   Just ordered them a couple of weeks ago. 

Angus

Quote from: lordmonar on March 21, 2016, 03:02:11 PM
Yes 1800nametape.com will make "civil air patrol" name tapes.   Just ordered them a couple of weeks ago.

Wow, last time I tried to use them to make Civil Air Patrol tapes they refused, and as I  had said I was even going for something that wasn't regulation.  Just what we had heard would be coming.  Maybe national has loosened it's grip then or the exclusivity contract with vanguard has expired. 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

lordmonar

Quote from: AngusW on March 21, 2016, 03:06:29 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on March 21, 2016, 03:02:11 PM

Wow, last time I tried to use them to make Civil Air Patrol tapes they refused, and as I  had said I was even going for something that wasn't regulation.  Just what we had heard would be coming.  Maybe national has loosened it's grip then or the exclusivity contract with vanguard has expired.
Well...I don't know when "last time" was.....but I ordered some ABU tapes with Civil Air Patrol on them a couple of years ago and I just got my Silver on Navy tapes a couple of weeks ago.

Thing is.....it is hard to copy write common English words.  You can trade mark them....but like Eclipse said...I don't think CAP ever went after the name tape people.....it was the guys making knock off wings and badges that Vanguard was worried about.

Eclipse

Quote from: AngusW on March 21, 2016, 03:06:29 PMMaybe national has loosened it's grip then or the exclusivity contract with vanguard has expired.

NHQ doesn't have a "grip".  C&D's are simply a request to discontinue a behavior, they hold no legal weight.  Compliance is generally
a mathematical exercise in deciding whether the business lost is worth the hassle of a challenge, which for smaller companies
it usually isn't.

In the case being discussed, the place where the challenge might have stuck was with the badges being printed on flight suit nametags.
Beyond that, legal assertions aside, a challenge would not have likely been sustained in regards to sir names or common English words.

A business agreement regarding exclusivity between two parties does not necessarily preclude others from producing similar products unless
unless one of those parties in question can prove ownership (or granted rights), and usually is irrelevant if they can't prove damages as well.
In this case it's made more complicated because we're not talking about copyright, per se, but rights granted by public law.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: lordmonar on March 21, 2016, 03:10:45 PM
I don't think CAP ever went after the name tape people

http://www.1800nametape.com/cap.htm

I've talked to Rob a couple times about it.  its just too big a pain.

You probably shouldn't tell people where you got non-Vanguard stuff from. It just leads to angst.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

argentip

Quote from: NCRblues on March 19, 2016, 05:30:18 PM
Side bar from the uniforms.

The last two points on that slide are oddly worded, no?

What is overlap with a CAC? Changing its term?

I thought we already had an entire regulation filled with our organizational chart?
This is now a sidebar from the nametapes discussion.

They are proposing the CAC term (not sure if this is just the NCAC or if it covers all levels) to run concurrent with the Fiscal Year, but to bring the new officers in early so there is a transition period, so that when the new term starts they can hit the ground running.

The Org Chart was an actual org chart that had the positions listed, but not the names.  It includes all the changes that were made when the paid and volunteer positions were restructured a year or so ago.
Phil Argenti, Col, CAP
GLR-IN-001

argentip

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 19, 2016, 02:21:41 PM
AF LtCol for GLR CAP-USAF is also here. So far a great event, lots of breakouts, and even a Spaatz presentation!
That would be Lt Col Monyca Uecker the GLLR/CC.  The Spaatz presentation was for C/Col Justin Kantor.  The cool part was that he received his Spaatz Award and was promoted to C/Col in the morning and the KYWG Change of Command took place in the afternoon where his father, Col Dave Kantor, took command of KYWG.
Phil Argenti, Col, CAP
GLR-IN-001