Sources for CAP business cards

Started by mdickinson, May 11, 2007, 11:29:46 AM

mdickinson

I used to buy my CAP business cards from the Bookstore. They were nice - formatted correctly and with a color CAP emblem.

When the Bookstore closed, I got my last set at Staples. Single-sided text-only black & white business cards were super cheap: $9.99 for 1000 cards! They scanned the CAP logo I provided, in B&W, for an extra charge.

I was handing out a card this week when I realized that everything on it is wrong - over the years my phone, fax, email address, web site, and grade have all changed. Time to get new cards... but now Staples is charging more like $30! I really don't need 1000 cards, so I'd be happier spending less and getting the CAP emblem in color.

Does anyone have a cheap source that they have used and been happy with?

Al Sayre

If you have a halfway decent printer, go to your local stationary store or Sam's Club and for about $10 you can buy a box of 1000.  They come as pre-perforated sheets of cards and may come with the software to print them on your home computer ( you can also get it from Avery Lables for free).  Just download the logo you want from eServices.  Florida Wing has a nice template for these on their website also. 

I like them because I don't need to order or make 500 at a time, and I can print things on the back like meeting times and locations etc., and if they change it takes me 5 minutes to print 50 new ones. 

I also print the cadet oath on cards and hand them out to new cadets and I print squadron/wing phone lists for the members to carry in their wallets.  All in all pretty useful
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

CadetProgramGuy

I'd say 10.00 is pretty cheap for cards.

Florida Wing has a template ontheir website for computer generated CAP cards.

My question is: Are we supposed to ask permission to use the CAP symbols?

Al Sayre

No need to as long as you use them within the guidlines of the regulations.  There is a regulation or pamphlet that describes the proper usage on the cap.gov website.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: Al Sayre on May 11, 2007, 04:37:43 PM
No need to as long as you use them within the guidlines of the regulations.  There is a regulation or pamphlet that describes the proper usage on the cap.gov website.

OK thanks for clarifying that!!

That is some reason for not creating any cards with CAP stuff on them.

JC004

Al Sayre

See CAPR 900-2, Section 3.b.10, 3.c.10, Table 1
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

pixelwonk

Quote from: JC004 on May 11, 2007, 05:45:34 PM
Avery Clean Edge Business Cards are good stuff.   :)

Word!

Perforated cards = lame
Please, spend three or so bucks more and go for the clean edge cards. 
Nothing says fly-by-night organization like fuzzy edged business cards.

JC004

Quote from: tedda on May 11, 2007, 06:00:21 PM

Word!

Perforated cards = lame

Yup, yup.  Also, the free cards from VistaPrint (with the ad) are nice and everything, but I discourage them because of the little ad (although I met a big time CEO who uses them for his personal cards).   :o

Eclipse

If you take the time with Microsoft Publisher (included on your unit's notebook), and use the clean-edge cards, they will look every bit as professional as something you pay to have done, and yo can make them in short-runs as needed.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

Quote from: Eclipse on May 11, 2007, 08:08:49 PM
If you take the time with Microsoft Publisher (included on your unit's notebook), and use the clean-edge cards, they will look every bit as professional as something you pay to have done, and yo can make them in short-runs as needed.

Or even Avery templates in Micro**** Word.

SARMedTech

Quote from: JC004 on May 11, 2007, 06:03:18 PM

Word!

Perforated cards = lame

Yup, yup.  Also, the free cards from VistaPrint (with the ad) are nice and everything, but I discourage them because of the little ad (although I met a big time CEO who uses them for his personal cards).   :o

I use Vista Print all the time and you can have their ad removed from the card for a small fee, which usually still ends up costing less than going to a print shop to have 1000 cards made up.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

JC004

Quote from: SARMedTech on May 29, 2007, 02:26:19 AM
Quote from: JC004 on May 11, 2007, 06:03:18 PM

Word!

Perforated cards = lame

I use Vista Print all the time and you can have their ad removed from the card for a small fee, which usually still ends up costing less than going to a print shop to have 1000 cards made up.

...and that's exactly how they like it.   :)  On the other hand, you can try to get a local print shop to print a bunch o' generic cards and maybe a limited quantity of personalized cards for key people.  We do that with my organization.  Even a small logo on the back from the local business might be reasonable. 

mdickinson

Thanks for all the info. I'm going with VistaPrint - now does anyone have a large clear version of the CAP seal that should go in the upper left?

I'm using the same design as the cards I used to get to the bookstore, with a color seal, but the only JPG or GIF version of that seal that I have is not sufficient quality.

Please post here or email me. Thanks,

Al Sayre

Look on eServices upper left hand side-CAP Seals and Logos (or something like that)
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

Lancer

Quote from: Al Sayre on May 31, 2007, 11:34:29 AM
Look on eServices upper left hand side-CAP Seals and Logos (or something like that)

Via www.capchannel.com

Click on PAO Toolkit; then select 'Click Here' to go to the FTP site. Then select the 'CAP PAO Toolkit', then the 'CAP Emblem Seal Patch' directory.

Pylon

See also previous discussions on this:  [1]   [2]    :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP