Mapping Software- GPS Capable

Started by IceNine, May 10, 2007, 09:54:52 PM

IceNine

I am looking for good mapping software... here are the requirements I need.
- I need to be able to upload, download, and manage waypoints and maps in a portable GPS
- I need to be able to edit maps (Set waypoint flags, draw search area squares, etc)
- I need to be able to view topo maps, Aerial Charts, and road maps
- And I would like to be able to get free maps

the only program I have heard of for this is Fugawi.  Any other suggestions?  Please don't say Google Earth!
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

isuhawkeye

its not free, but the delorme map is the best one I have found

Tubacap

I love it too.  I have used it on countless missions and personal trips.  I especially like that it will find restaurants and gas stations and give you phone numbers.  In my area the grid is a little off, but nothing severe and I am really out in the sticks.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

wingnut

Consider Microsoft Mappoint 2006 with GPS, Your requirements are more into the GIS (Geographical Information Systems) area. A more professional program is the ESRI Arcview, ArcGIS programs. Mappoint can be purchased from http://www.academicsuperstore.com/ for  $ 119.95. The ESRI is $99.00 and it is truely a professional system and for a fee you can take classes on their web site and get certified.

SarDragon

Quote from: isuhawkeye on May 11, 2007, 12:36:34 AM
its not free, but the delorme map is the best one I have found

Delorme has three versions - Street Atlas, Topo USA, and 3D Topo Quads. The first is the whole country on two CDs or one DVD; the second is the whole country on one or more DVDs; the third is by state or parts of a state (CA is in two sections, with each section comprising six or seven CDs, or one DVD).

More info available here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

sardak

Among other things, I do custom mapping and GIS work.

1. By portable GPS, I'm assuming you mean a consumer grade handheld GPS.

2. There are quite a few free programs that can create, upload, download and manage GPS waypoints and tracks.  There are also commercial programs that can do this and include topo and/or street maps.  These mapping products allow adding features to the map as overlays.

3. To upload maps to a GPS you have four, limited choices.
  a. For Garmin GPS receivers, there is Garmin Mapsource software.  The topo version is low quality, based on 1:100,000 series topo maps.

b. There is software available to make your own custom maps for a Garmin GPS.

c. Some Lowrance GPS receivers can use maps produced by Lowrance.

d. The new DeLorme PN-20 can use maps and aerial photos produced by DeLorme.

4. By "aerial charts" do you mean "aeronautical charts" such as sectionals, or do you mean "aerial (and satellite) photos?"

For aeronautical charts there is one source, the FAA. There is a limited amount of software that can use these charts because they are just scanned and  "georeferenced" versions of the paper charts.  One has to have software which can utilize the georeferenced scans.  It appears that the Fugawi software you mention can do this.

I am not aware of any commercial non-aviation software that includes or as an option has aeronautical charts.  There used to be one, but it was discontinued several years ago.

There are some free and commercial programs that can overlay GPS data on aerial/sat photos.

5. We'd all like free electronic maps but you'll have to search for them on the Internet, and then have a program that can figure out what to do with them.

6. You have four choices:
  a. software that includes the maps and all one has to do is turn on the computer, start the program and connect the GPS.  Examples are DeLorme Street Atlas and TopoUSA,  Maptech Terrain Navigator Pro, Microsoft Streets & Trips and National Geographic Topo!

b. software that includes maps, but allows one to add their own maps which you buy or find for free on the Internet, and which can be modified to some degree. Examples are Fugawi, Memory-Map, Ozi-Explorer.

c. make you own maps from scratch, or make serious mods to other maps. Examples are ArcGIS, Global Mapper, Manifold.

d. a couple of programs that don't quite fit the other categories.  USAPhotomaps is a free program that downloads topo and aerial photos from Terraserver (free) and stores it on your computer.  The program will also download free street and elevation info from other sources. It has full upload/download connectivity with a GPS. 

GPS Trackmaker is a free program that has all the standard creation and GPS connectivity capabilities and allows the addition of your own maps.  It can connect to the Internet to show the GPS data on various online maps.

I own and have used all of the programs I've listed except for Fugawi.  These are the ones used most frequently.  I have more that get used rarely if ever.  There are other programs which I'm aware of but don't own.

Quote from: wingnut on May 11, 2007, 03:49:57 AM
Your requirements are more into the GIS (Geographical Information Systems) area. A more professional program is the ESRI Arcview, ArcGIS programs. The ESRI is $99.00 and it is truly a professional system and for a fee you can take classes on their web site and get certified.
ESRI is the 800 pound gorilla of the GIS industry.  Its main product, ArcGIS, has a list price of $1500. There are add-ons to it that are priced more and less than that.  ESRI has one free program, ArcGIS Explorer, which can read GIS data.

Mike

Matt

TopoUSA is your best bet.  It will handle waypoints, GPS', and more importantly map overlays which you can pre-program all airports into...  There aren't aero charts with it, however, aeroplanner.com is a free source of good information on that.  Second best program for you would be Street Atlas; it's not as friendly when it comes to terrain, but it does play nicely with overlays, waypoints, and GPS'.  Thirdly, DeLorme offers XMap, it is expensive, but it brings nice satellite imagery to the table.  Free-route would be Google Earth, however, it has limited functions...
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Eclipse

Garmin Mapsource is great - GPS capable, save maps, etc., use it a lot for ELT searches.

Google Maps in paid mode also supports GPS.

"That Others May Zoom"

wingnut

The $1,500 Esri Program is only $99. 00 for the full version used by Teachers, as a CAP memeber if you have a teacher in the Squadron they can purchase it for the Squadron and use it for Aerospace Education and other activities.

This Version includes all the add-ons worth several thousand, the 800 pound Gorrilla, but only good for a year and it must be renewed in a year to use it.

http://www.academicsuperstore.com/

ArcGIS Desktop extensions provide additional functionality to ArcView. The following extensions are included in the ArcView 9.1 Student Edition:

ArcGIS 3D Analyst –three-dimensional visualization, analysis, and surface generation

ArcGIS Geostatistical Analyst - spatial data exploration, identification of data anomalies, optimum prediction, evaluation of prediction uncertainty, and surface creation

ArcGIS Network Analyst – network-based spatial analysis, including; routing, travel directions, closest facility, and service area analysis

ArcGIS Publisher – map file (.pmf) creation from any ArcView document (.mxd)

ArcGIS Schematics – automatic generation of schematic representations of ArcGIS geodatabases

ArcGIS Spatial Analyst - comprehensive, raster-based spatial analysis

ArcGIS Survey Analyst – storage and management of survey points, measurements, and computations

ArcScan for ArcGIS - raster-to-vector conversion for GIS vector feature data creation from scanned maps

Maplex for ArcGIS - automated high-quality cartographic text placement and labeling

Hoser

What people are overlooking about ArcGIS is that for it to be functional you must d/l the appropriate data first. This can be found all over the web, as most all states have a GIS data web site. The other issue with ArcGIS is it  IS NOT an application you can buy and figure out how to use. There is no functionality for what CAP does that would for instance require buffering or joining or relating attribute tables or dissolving features or selection by attribute or location.. The Delorme XMap will allow the importation of ESRI file formats such as  *.e00 files.  ArcGIS is only functional with a proper geodatabase, the appropriate layer, coverage and shapefiles.  While ArcGIS will use both raster and vector data there are numerous issues with each that are beyond the scope of this post. For SDIS or ARCHER  to be functional with ArcGIS the images must have an embedded *.tfw   (TIFF World FIle) file to allow for proper georeferencing. Without tfw files that data is useless to a GIS. TFW files were not mentioned in ARCHER schooland I am unaware of them in the image chip jpegs generated in ARCHER. For the purposes of SAR etc, the Delorme XMap is super as it is powerful, easy to use and learn, has internet connetivity for downloading of data if needed. It has both 2D and 3D capability, it gives area of draw polygons which is useful for POS calculations and resourse management issues. AND it is inexpensive. ArcGIS is the industry standard no question, but bear in mind there are college courses on the undergarduate and graduate level to learn the functionality of ArcGIS, and GIS professionals who have been doing GIS for years don't totally know everything about it. For ArcGIS to be useful a trained individual needs to at the keyboard/mousepad. I am in a GIS certificate program and know ArcGIS isn't what we need for what we do. That's my opinion, I could be wrong

Hoser

isuhawkeye

Just a note. 

On large operations we ask the county, city, or state GIS staff to create maps to our specs.  They are happy to help. 

wingnut

CAP has no GIS policy, Indeed it is way behind the 8 ball on the technology. There are many individual CAP members providing GIS services to CAP using Arcview for one. GIS and map production is a fairly simple process, having taught it for many years at the college level. Arc View is being taught in many High Schools, it is just as easy to use as a cad cam program. It can be purchased for less than $100 from several locations, on line courses can be taken from many universities including Pen State. Jr.colleges also are actively using arcview.

Mapping and CAP, almost everything we do has a Map component to it. You can download FAA maps as a geotiff and make pre gridded maps for members, NTAP data can be loaded into arcview for flight tracking in a SAR.  FEMA has a program that models flooding, earthquakes and other hazards and it is a free add on to Arcgis. As for Archer, I was shocked that it presently is not ArcGis friendly, it will be in the future. . .

ZigZag911

I've been using Delorme TopoUSA for about two years now on my desktop PC, running  missions (mostly ELT) as IC....it's really great, has some nice features, can give you street by street detail (very helpful in guiding UDF teams), also topographical lay of the land, nice for planning air sorties, deciding where to send the aircraft.

Nick

Quote from: wingnut on May 14, 2007, 03:28:00 AM
You can download FAA maps as a geotiff and make pre gridded maps for members, NTAP data can be loaded into arcview for flight tracking in a SAR.

You can?  Where?
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

BillB

Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

sardak

Quote from: mclarty on May 15, 2007, 01:43:46 AM
Quote from: wingnut on May 14, 2007, 03:28:00 AM
You can download FAA maps as a geotiff and make pre gridded maps for members, NTAP data can be loaded into arcview for flight tracking in a SAR.
You can?  Where?

Sectionals can be downloaded for $1.50 apiece here:
http://naco.faa.gov/ecomp/Catalog.aspx?a=AERO+NOS+DIGITAL+DSEC

Terminal area charts can be downloaded also, or one can order CDs with both the sectionals and terminal charts (the digital raster chart link on that page).

Mike

RiverAux

I agree that CAP is behind on GIS, but frankly it is so technical that I don't think very many CAP members could play.  However, while it is an incredibly important technology we may have to depend on the state emergency management folks for support. 

wingnut

GIS is an area perfect for Aerospace Education of Cadets, 5 years ago when a person mentioned GIS, most teachers and professors ran and Hid. The problem with us old people is many are intimidated by technology, computers, Garmin 1000 182s. The facts of the matter; are the Kids today know more about computers and programs at 12 years than most Senior officers do at 50. But don't worry you can still go buy your maps from Garmin, and AAA.  I think we will start teaching the Cadets how to make their own.

RiverAux

There are many, many high school GIS programs out there and cadets certainly could handle it.  The problem is having senior members qualified to use it and teach it. 

sschwab

I have used OziExplorer for some GT missions, the ability to get a scanned in map and the geo position the map is nice.  It supports many formats and GPS.  I will have to look into Delorme, since that sounds more useful.  I also know some ICs have Delorme, but with no training, not even an introduction,  they are not sure how or why to use it.

As far as Arc* products, or general GIS, map building, applications, I think they would useful to build some databases, which then could be sent to ICs. 

For example, a base GIS database I have been thinking about has:

One layer is keyed off the state's county boundaries, with each the sheriff phone number and other county wide information tied to the county.  This would would allowing a IC to easily locate who to call for local information.

A second layer would be locations of each squadron across the state, allowing an IC to quickly find the closest GT to a request.

A third, locations of each airfield in the state, with contract numbers, allowing a quick way to know who to call and check for ELTs, since false alarms are generally found sitting on the ramp.

Finally the ICs would be given something a bit more intuitive then ArcView to exploit the data.

That is my few cents on the topic,

2LT Schwab
Gateway Sq.
Missouri Wing

badger bob

Consider Microsoft Mappoint 2006 with GPS, Your requirements are more into the GIS (Geographical Information Systems) area. A more professional program is the ESRI Arcview, ArcGIS programs. Mappoint can be purchased from http://www.academicsuperstore.com/ for  $ 119.95. The ESRI is $99.00 and it is truely a professional system and for a fee you can take classes on their web site and get certified.

Before you spend $120 on Mappoint consider the Microsoft Donated software program. Availalbe for both CAP purchase or member use for $12 as in twelve dollars
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: badger bob on May 17, 2007, 04:12:12 PM

Before you spend $120 on Mappoint consider the Microsoft Donated software program. Availalbe for both CAP purchase or member use for $12 as in twelve dollars

Details please?
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

badger bob

Quote from: sardak on May 11, 2007, 07:23:46 AM
6. You have four choices:
  a. software that includes the maps and all one has to do is turn on the computer, start the program and connect the GPS.  Examples are DeLorme Street Atlas and TopoUSA,  Maptech Terrain Navigator Pro, Microsoft Streets & Trips and National Geographic Topo!

Streets & Trips is available for $2 per license thru the Microsoft Donated Software program- if that is the program you want to use- our ES guys prefer Delorme to get our guys carrying around a Atlas to be on the same page as the laptop guys.
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

badger bob

Microsoft, Adobe, and others donate software for use by 501c3 non-profits (CAP).
There are restrictions ie minimum and maximum orders, and each company has there own rules for the software/ hardware they donate. CAP qualifies for the Microsoft, Adobe and Symantec programs- but not the program for Cisco hardware

This is a link to their website
http://www.techsoup.org/

This is a link to their current catalog and prices.
http://www.techsoup.org/stock/techsoup_catalog.pdf

send me a pm if you have questions on the account setup, ordering or ordering restrictions
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320