Shuttle is out...looking for clarification on winter procedures

Started by Майор Хаткевич, November 10, 2015, 06:00:23 PM

Майор Хаткевич

Now that the shuttle is officially out (http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=20177)

What are my procedures for the coming months? Today, the weather seems to co-operate, and I'll be able to let the cadets run the Mile. Next month? The next few months...not sure.

I'm looking at CAPP52-18, and it talks about cancelling the mile in cases of inclement weather, and "Bad Weather Run Banking". If I understand it...we're supposed to use the previous mile time to see if it satisfies the current requirement. So the cadets going up a year in age, or up a phase, or that just joined are SOL? I mean, certainly we can rely on "someone else" to approve a mile time for a cadet to use, as suggested. But we wouldn't do that for a milestone, would we?

Гугл переводчик

You bring up a good point. I don't know if this issue was even thought of, but I'll talk with my upper up's about this at today's meeting and see what they have to say about it.
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

CAPDCCMOM

I know that many were upset when the Shuttle Run was shut down, me included. However, I am now ready to say I was wrong, something seldom admitted here on CAP Talk. My cadets are much more motivated to do the run now. I have had three pass that we thought would never meet the time. Just sayin.

A.Member

People run outside year round, even in the great white North.  It's not unusual and can be done safely.  It can be done on maintained surface areas and pathways.  In addition, look for an indoor track (high schools/middle schools). 
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Ned

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on November 10, 2015, 06:00:23 PM
So the cadets going up a year in age, or up a phase, or that just joined are SOL? I mean, certainly we can rely on "someone else" to approve a mile time for a cadet to use, as suggested. But we wouldn't do that for a milestone, would we?

No, not SOL.   ???  As you point out, they can run the mile and have that measured by an "unrelated, independent person" as described in the reg.  There are no different procedures for CPFTs performed for milestones as compared to regular achievements.

Thank you for your work with our cadets.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Ned on November 10, 2015, 09:39:56 PM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on November 10, 2015, 06:00:23 PM
So the cadets going up a year in age, or up a phase, or that just joined are SOL? I mean, certainly we can rely on "someone else" to approve a mile time for a cadet to use, as suggested. But we wouldn't do that for a milestone, would we?

No, not SOL.   ???  As you point out, they can run the mile and have that measured by an "unrelated, independent person" as described in the reg.  There are no different procedures for CPFTs performed for milestones as compared to regular achievements.

Thank you for your work with our cadets.

We've always held the milestone completions "close to the vest", if only to prevent appearances of impropriety.

SARDOC

I've had cadets that would just do the mile with their PE teacher and the teacher would send me an email with their time.  Bam.  Done.

Colonel

There is/was an alternative to the mile run while at Basic Training. At least when I went through in 1970's with the USAF. AF does not run in "inclement" weather. A drizzle is considered inclement weather. I know. I was on the starting line for my mile run test by the PT squadron who evaluated non-runners like myself. Two times it started to drizzle with me on the starting line. Person in charge cancelled the run and sent me back to my unit. Day before final graduation on our final pass/fail date for the mile run, it rained. In lieu of the mile run, we had to RUN IN PLACE for a specific amount of time that was determined to be the equivalent to a mile (or was it mile and a half) run. TIs made sure legs were raised parallel to the ground for the time being evaluated.

Sooooo, if the USAF has (maybe had) an alternative to the mile (mile and a  half) run, why is it that it's not good enough for CAP? Why is this such a difficult task when a solution is already in place?

kwe1009

Quote from: Colonel on November 17, 2015, 09:00:31 PM
There is/was an alternative to the mile run while at Basic Training. At least when I went through in 1970's with the USAF. AF does not run in "inclement" weather. A drizzle is considered inclement weather. I know. I was on the starting line for my mile run test by the PT squadron who evaluated non-runners like myself. Two times it started to drizzle with me on the starting line. Person in charge cancelled the run and sent me back to my unit. Day before final graduation on our final pass/fail date for the mile run, it rained. In lieu of the mile run, we had to RUN IN PLACE for a specific amount of time that was determined to be the equivalent to a mile (or was it mile and a half) run. TIs made sure legs were raised parallel to the ground for the time being evaluated.

Sooooo, if the USAF has (maybe had) an alternative to the mile (mile and a  half) run, why is it that it's not good enough for CAP? Why is this such a difficult task when a solution is already in place?

The only alternative to the 1.5 mile run for the USAF is a walk with a heart rate monitor and that is only for people on a medical waiver prohibiting them from running.  It is pretty convoluted and you don't know if you pass or fail until you are done.  If there isn't an indoor track then you will run at the next PT test date that has decent weather.  The current USAF process is not a good option for CAP.