Ground Team Members Handbook. Required?

Started by ranger0305, April 22, 2015, 01:09:23 PM

ranger0305

Hi guys im back again. I am finally down to 2 items left that i need for my 24-hour pack one of which is the GT task guide. But i am wondering if it is required? The list in the task guide says that the required equipment is marked with: "T".

Here is part of the list.

2. The gear list below is the minimum required equipment. Items required of trainees are marked with a "T."
You may carry additional equipment subject to team leader approval and your ability to secure and carry it --
remember, you may have to walk a long way carrying it all.
a. 24 hour pack
1) On your person:
a) Complete BDU uniform with BDU cap. The BDU cap may be replaced by a hard hat
or bright colored cap based on mission needs.(T)
b) Notepad and pencil (T)
c) All CAP Identification, including 101 card, 76 card, First Aid card, etc. (T)
d) Watch (T)
e) Handkerchief or Tissues
f) Vest, reflective, orange (T)
g) Comb or brush (optional, carry if needed) (T)
h) Ground Team Member's Handbook

Since it isn't marked with a "T" is it required? On another of my equip. quetstions someone told me it was required. Once again i would ask my GTL... if i had one.

Thanks.
"IT'S BETTER TO DIE FIGHTING FOR SOMETHING, THAN TO LIVE FOR NOTHING." 

C/MSgt
GTM3
MRO*
FLM*

Huey Driver

QuoteThe gear list below is the minimum required equipment. Items required of trainees are marked with a "T."

So yes, since it is on the list, it is required. However, it is not required as a trainee. You really want to have it though, especially when training for your specialty.

http://www.vanguardmil.com/products/cap-ground-and-urban-direction-finding-team-tasks-cap-study-guide
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

RogueLeader

As a GTL, that is the FIRST thing I ask to see.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

THRAWN

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 22, 2015, 10:10:07 PM

That is the first thing you ask to see? And people wonder why the ES community tends to not put a lot of faith in the abilities of CAP....smdh...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Holding Pattern

Quote from: THRAWN on April 22, 2015, 11:41:17 PM

That is the first thing you ask to see? And people wonder why the ES community tends to not put a lot of faith in the abilities of CAP....smdh...

And the first thing you ask to see in an inspection is...

And this changes your entire perspective of the inspection because...

Spam

The manual is important. Don't think it isn't. However, lets view this in context of learning and training to standards:

The first thing I look for in a team inspection is for signs of fatigue and general health, as part of my initial assessment/interview (ORM/deployability - I don't want someone out with a Strike Team who can't pass the "IM SAFE" checklist, and I even turned down my own Wing/CC on a request to go on an ELT mission one night after a Wing Staff meeting last year, knowing he had been up since 0500 and had a 2 hr drive to get home.

Then I ask for a current ID and 101, and do a uniform check, (mandatory CAPTALK thread content on uniforms here) and if he is a known, fully qualified member, I settle for a verbal on his gear and readiness, asking for a self disclosure of any issues we should watch for on a sortie.

If I have a trainee (and we're not on an actual mission where Search Is An Emergency is the watch word to not piss away time), then I might ask you to dump the gear out for a look see, as part of instruction. If you were my trainee, I'd ask you where you went to get your gear list, to make sure you were conforming to the manual and that first gear task. If you're not using the task guide for the first task (gear) then you're liable to not be using it to study for the subsequent tasks, so that's a quality stan/eval check point for me in your typical instruction/signoff. That, I think, is where I'd agree with Rogue... RTFM, at all times.

However, as said on the other thread you have to have the items marked T just to make it into the field on a unit level overnight field training exercise (FTX) to get signed off on the field sanitation task, which is then required for your top half GTM3* SQTR prep and fam tasks, which allows you to sign into a mission and go on training sorties.

So, download the PDF manual and use it to go get the basic T marked stuff, which does not include the physical manual, and your unit should do a reinspect before full qualification, at which you should have the physical manual on hand.

V/R,
Spam (GTM3/2/1 and GBD SET)

Holding Pattern

Thank you for the detailed and well reasoned response.

And as an aside, I just realized that Thrawn was calling out Rogue Leader. My inner child is now laughing at the star wars implications of such a thing.

THRAWN

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on April 23, 2015, 06:38:50 AM
Thank you for the detailed and well reasoned response.

And as an aside, I just realized that Thrawn was calling out Rogue Leader. My inner child is now laughing at the star wars implications of such a thing.

You have made my day.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Spam

Well, I'm rather partial to Jek Porkins, myself. Guy made weight as a pilot in the RA, and was doing fine in combat until the lack of cup holders in the Incom X-Wing Block 32 doomed him to getting shot by the Death Star AAA gunners while juggling his big gulp and flight meal. Lousy Incom cockpit engineers... should have hired Homer to put cup holders everywhere, like in the Z-95 Headhunter (expanded universe, T. Zahn).

If any of you cadets grow up to be cockpit engineers, remember... cup holders. It is my personal quest.

Good luck with your quals.
Spam

Luis R. Ramos

Cup holders have a practical side to it. Not only can you use it for coffee or drinks, you can hold extra pens, a bottle of water, your I-Pad!

The possibilities are endless!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Garibaldi

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on April 23, 2015, 12:44:51 AM
Quote from: THRAWN on April 22, 2015, 11:41:17 PM

And the first thing you ask to see in an inspection is...

And this changes your entire perspective of the inspection because...

Oh crap, we're crossing the streams here. Trek and Wars just hit critical mass! Dogs and cats, living together...mass hysteria! (threw in a GB reference to boot). Oh, and freaking B5 as well.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

ranger0305

Thanks for the replies, you answered my question again Spam that was what i wanted to know was if i needed it for trainee status.

Thanks,
Andrew.
"IT'S BETTER TO DIE FIGHTING FOR SOMETHING, THAN TO LIVE FOR NOTHING." 

C/MSgt
GTM3
MRO*
FLM*

JayCraswell

On a semi related topic.   I offered to give someone my GT Handbook in exchange for him getting me some printer paper.   *I think its good luck to pass down things like that or your old Epaulets to someone else.   

I made up a variety of experimental versions of the handbook.   *The size not the content.  I don't know if anyone has seen an Army Rangers handbook.  Its smaller which has always been appealing to me.  So what I came up with was first to print smaller and do it double sided.   And instead of gutting an 8 1/2 by 11 into two pages of paper I go 4 pages per sheet so this takes the book down in size.  *note Its still larger then the Army's Ranger Handbook.  I end up with 8 pages per piece of paper so its substantially thinner as well.   I decided to do folding of the pages and have it open from the side like a conventional book.  I've experimented with some book binding ideas I've found on the web.  Nothing super fancy but they go beyond just gluing the top onto a heavier weight cover pages.   The end result great because its not a BDU pocket stretcher and its a little less weight (no laughing I'm getting old) to haul around.   If anyone wants one (I printed up 50 at the local copy shop) or wants more details on how to make one email me.  Its pretty cheap to make one if you have the time.   I'm thinking that doing the same idea with the Ground Team Leader Reference text and putting it together would make one great book that still smaller and lighter then the current giganto book we've all carried around since forever...

Spam

I'm interested in how you did it. I've destroyed probably a dozen or more of the reg size books over the year due to rain, dirt, and wear and tear, and I've always thought how cool would it be if we had them printed half size with plastic covers and snap rings like military flight pubs checklists. Since I do so many evals in the field in marginal weather and lighting conditions (obviously) I'm not sure that reduced font size would work for me (and my aging eyes, with a birthday today actually).

By the way, I agree on passing down our old stuff. When my middle boy joined as a cadet a couple of years ago, I gave him my original blue cadet name plate from decades ago, which is 'just' a bit yellowed, to wear. His reply was, "Dad, is this like the slightly charred insignia that Rico earned, from Ricos' Roughnecks" (Heinlein reference from Starship Troopers... I love my boys)!!!  Made my day... the classics... ahhh...

V/R,
Spam

lordmonar

Quote from: Spam on April 30, 2015, 05:09:04 AM
I'm interested in how you did it. I've destroyed probably a dozen or more of the reg size books over the year due to rain, dirt, and wear and tear, and I've always thought how cool would it be if we had them printed half size with plastic covers and snap rings like military flight pubs checklists. Since I do so many evals in the field in marginal weather and lighting conditions (obviously) I'm not sure that reduced font size would work for me (and my aging eyes, with a birthday today actually).

By the way, I agree on passing down our old stuff. When my middle boy joined as a cadet a couple of years ago, I gave him my original blue cadet name plate from decades ago, which is 'just' a bit yellowed, to wear. His reply was, "Dad, is this like the slightly charred insignia that Rico earned, from Ricos' Roughnecks" (Heinlein reference from Starship Troopers... I love my boys)!!!  Made my day... the classics... ahhh...

V/R,
Spam
Office Depot/Office Max......tell them what you want and they can make it.

I got all the task manuals printed and bound on to three top spiral half page with black plastic covers...for abour $25 each about 6 years ago....still working great.

I was able to find some tough high plastic content paper....semi water proof...and very tough....all in the Office Depot.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

THRAWN

Quote from: Spam on April 30, 2015, 05:09:04 AM

V/R,
Spam

Happy birthday.

This is funny. During one of my last uniformed positions, I did something similar with a bit of insignia that was marked. Passed it along to someone I was mentoring and told them to wear the marked one on their left side, always and don't try to clean it..... Glad to see that I'm not the only one using Heinlein for uniform tips...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Spam

Pat, thanks for the tips!  I'm on it! Got some tech pubs covers from jets that I can use for it too.

Thrawn, the classics never die (they just get really crappy movie adaptations). I was invited to bid some work on an armored suit program for SOCOM recently, and mentioned not just the Heinlein book but also the John Steakley novel "Armor" and saw seven broad grins around the table, prompting a segue into good SF.

V/R,
Spam

lordmonar

Also....you can bring your own paper....say you want all of them in a Jeppsen format.....buy the Jeppsen paper on line...and bring it to the depot/max and they can print it for you.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

THRAWN

Quote from: lordmonar on May 01, 2015, 04:43:10 AM
Also....you can bring your own paper....say you want all of them in a Jeppsen format.....buy the Jeppsen paper on line...and bring it to the depot/max and they can print it for you.

Instead of Office Max or Staples, I've had pretty good successes with doing the same with local trade or vocational schools that have a printing or publishing specialty. It keeps the cost low and it also helps the students out by giving them a specialized project. You might even get a new member or two in the bargain...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Holding Pattern

Quote from: THRAWN on May 01, 2015, 11:10:49 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on May 01, 2015, 04:43:10 AM

Instead of Office Max or Staples, I've had pretty good successes with doing the same with local trade or vocational schools that have a printing or publishing specialty. It keeps the cost low and it also helps the students out by giving them a specialized project. You might even get a new member or two in the bargain...

I never even thought of that. Thanks!