Main Menu

Cheyenne Mountain

Started by Nikos, April 08, 2015, 11:08:12 PM

Nikos

I heard today that the Cheyenne Mountain Complex is going to reopen.  Anyone know why it was closed? 

Holding Pattern

The Stargate program, probably.

Fubar

Came here for the StargateTM reference.

Was not disappointed.

almostspaatz

C/Maj Steve Garrett

PHall

Quote from: Nikos on April 08, 2015, 11:08:12 PM
I heard today that the Cheyenne Mountain Complex is going to reopen.  Anyone know why it was closed?

Place is a bit expensive to run.

Salty

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on April 08, 2015, 11:13:57 PM

Good to know the BRAC changed it's mind so the program can continue.
CAP Cadet 1989-1994
CAP Senior Member 1994-1995, 2011-current
USAF Aeromedical Technician 1994-1998

PHall

Quote from: Salty on April 09, 2015, 02:10:31 AM

BRAC had nothing to do with the Mountain's mothballing. NORAD trying to save a buck/loony or two was the reason.
The reasoning was that with the reduced threat level they could operate out of Peterson Field at a greatly reduced cost.

a2capt

LSThiker

Quote from: Salty on April 09, 2015, 02:10:31 AM

If true, you can thank Russia for threatening nuclear action against us. The decision was hardly a BRAC decision but rather financial decision that has probably just seen a budget increase.

Nikos

I was wondering if someone in high places might be thinking that there is a chance, the "spaghetti might hit the fan"! 

sardak

QuoteI heard today that the Cheyenne Mountain Complex is going to reopen.  Anyone know why it was closed?
It never closed nor was it mothballed. In the last third of the video posted above, and on the NORAD website, http://www.norad.mil/AboutNORAD/CheyenneMountainAirForceStation.aspx they explain that the complex is owned, operated and used by USAF Space Command, and in 2008 was designated the NORTHCOM/NORAD Alternate Command Center. Both sources explain why the primary command center was moved to Peterson AFB in 2006.

Two weeks ago Raytheon Technical Services was awarded a contract to "provide sustainment services and products supporting the Integrated Tactical Warning/Attack Assessment (ITW/AA) and Space Support Contract covered systems. Work will be performed at Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado; Cheyenne Mountain Air Force Station, Colorado; Vandenberg Air Force Base, California; and Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska." They're not "reopening" Cheyenne Mountain.

Mike

corrected link

Mela_007

Oddly enough, Stargate SG-1 is why I'm in CAP.  ::)
"Worry is the Darkroom in which negatives develop."  -Unknown

almostspaatz

Quote from: Mela_007 on April 10, 2015, 01:18:30 AM

I'm curious how you drew the connection....i don't think Richard Dean Anderson was in CAP...

Does the Space Command Familiarization Course NCSA include inter-galactic travel? The one in CO includes a visit to Cheyenne mountain...  ;D
C/Maj Steve Garrett

Holding Pattern

Quote from: almostspaatz on April 10, 2015, 01:32:45 AM
Quote from: Mela_007 on April 10, 2015, 01:18:30 AM

I'm curious how you drew the connection....i don't think Richard Dean Anderson was in CAP...

Does the Space Command Familiarization Course NCSA include inter-galactic travel? The one in CO includes a visit to Cheyenne mountain...  ;D

SG-1 brought a lot of good press to the AF, and by extension CAP.

Майор Хаткевич

As others..came to see if a reference would be dropped. Wasn't disappointed, but now I'm sad.

Mela_007

I figured someone would wonder how I had the connection.   ;) 

I had been watching a lot of Stargate SG-1 in 2013 and reading the books.  One of the books or fan fiction referred to Service dress uniform once and dress uniform another time.  I was curious what the difference was (not knowing much about USAF uniforms), so I Google'd the difference.  Civil Air Patrol uniform stuff came up as many of the results, so I got to looking closer at what the Civil Air Patrol was.  At one time in my youth, I wanted to be a medi-flight pilot so that I could help people.  I decided that emotionally I probably couldn't handle that day in and day out, so I went a different direction with my career.  However, the bug for flying and the wish to help people (particularly in a first responder type of way) never left me.  I saw the potential in CAP to not only get in the air, but also to help people (ES).  So, here I am!

I agree that SG-1 brought a lot of good press for the AF!  I think it was really well done and I got a kick out of how even a couple of the USAF Joint Chiefs had small roles in a couple of episodes.
"Worry is the Darkroom in which negatives develop."  -Unknown

Holding Pattern

I kinda wish we could steal the stargate program for some fun cadet programs.

Luis R. Ramos

Although I did watch SG-1 regularly and know it was supposed to be taking place in there, whenever someone mentions Cheyenne Mountain or NORAD, my first thought is of the movie War Games. Since no one has mentioned that movie yet, it apparently means I am the oldest person here! It hurts...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

LSThiker

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on April 11, 2015, 01:28:39 PM
Although I did watch SG-1 regularly and know it was supposed to be taking place in there, whenever someone mentions Cheyenne Mountain or NORAD, my first thought is of the movie War Games. Since no one has mentioned that movie yet, it apparently means I am the oldest person here! It hurts...

Sorry.  I loved the movie War Games. When I hear Cheyenne Mountain, I think War Games. When I hear NORAD, I think the military.

Nikos

I always liked the movie "War Games" as well.  The set of the communications room was outstanding!  Only to be rivaled by the "war room " set in Dr. Strangelove.  I am sure in the real world things are much different.

arajca

Having been on a tour of Cheyenne Mountain, our guide talked about the movie folks coming there to get a feel for the place. The entry tunnel they loved. The blast door had them seriously impressed. Everything beyond it, however... There is a reason, besides security, the interior scenes were filmed on a movie set.  ;D

PHall

Quote from: arajca on April 12, 2015, 02:51:57 AM
Having been on a tour of Cheyenne Mountain, our guide talked about the movie folks coming there to get a feel for the place. The entry tunnel they loved. The blast door had them seriously impressed. Everything beyond it, however... There is a reason, besides security, the interior scenes were filmed on a movie set.  ;D

Well let's see. No room, no room and did I mention no room.  Movie cameras and lights take up a lot of space!

lordmonar

That....and real op centers just don't look "cool" enough for Hollywood.

Anyone remember the AWAC scenes from Red Flag?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Spam

Lord, I hear you.  When I was out your way last year (14-1, last JAN), I spent what seemed like endless days in the smelliest small mission planning compartment possible, shoe horned into a maze of hallways with bags of garbage waiting to go out (used microwave meals, countless coffee grounds, empty Monster and caffeine drink cans, etc). Reminded me of my last boat det, but with fewer guys detailed as sweepers to clean up. NOT exactly the gleaming Hollywood vision of dimly lit purple and blue mood lighting, JJ Abrams lens flares and back lighting, and float in the air VR displays for TACTS pod data. Not a bit of taxpayer waste or FW&A there, I can vow.

V/R,
Spam

PS, Wargames was good old skool, yo... but how about "Colossus: the Forbin Project" (1970) for cool impenetrable underground C4I complexes?  And later, "The Adolescence of P1" (1977 novel), which came well before Skynet/Terminator movies with Crystal Peak, etc.  Or how about The Andromeda Strains underground Wildfire facility. Or, Roddenberry's "Genesis II/Planet Earth" underground facility.... oh no, I've gone full mental on the underground base/ops center meme... sorry...

NIN

The best underground ops center/command room is, of course, the War Room:

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversationsâ„¢
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: lordmonar on April 12, 2015, 05:55:52 AM

All my bubble-head buddies say the same thing about the subs in Hunt For Red October....

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversationsâ„¢
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

arajca

Quote from: NIN on April 12, 2015, 12:01:05 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on April 12, 2015, 05:55:52 AM

All my bubble-head buddies say the same thing about the subs in Hunt For Red October....
Actually, the folks who designed most of the interior of Cheyenne Mountain were ship builders, although the AF had to get the to fix the doors. >:D

a2capt

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on April 11, 2015, 01:28:39 PM.. whenever someone mentions Cheyenne Mountain or NORAD, my first thought is of the movie War Games. Since no one has mentioned that movie yet, it apparently means I am the oldest person here! It hurts...
Same here, and I deliberately left it out so the thread wouldn't degenerate so quickly .. ;-)

I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it'd do any good!

Slim

Quote from: NIN on April 12, 2015, 11:59:35 AM
The best underground ops center/command room is, of course, the War Room:

You can't fight in here!!!!  This is the WAR ROOM!!!!

Slim

sardak

Nikos

One thing about Dr. Strangelove I always wondered about.  Did the USAF and RAF have an officer exchange program?  Or, perhaps they still have an office exchange program? 

lordmonar

Yes and Yes.....and not with just the RAF.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Brit_in_CAP

Adding to the previous...there was and is an exchange program with the RAF and the RCAF; it's very popular and very hard to get onto!  I know, I tried!

Brit_in_CAP

Getting back to Dr Strangelove...we (RAF) didn't have an exchange post with SAC command which made the Cuban Missile Crisis somewhat harder to deal with, according to some of the books and articles that I read.  We did have pilots flying the B52 at one point although I don't recall USAF pilots flying the Vulcan B2 at all.

JeffDG

Quote from: Nikos on April 14, 2015, 11:23:46 PM
One thing about Dr. Strangelove I always wondered about.  Did the USAF and RAF have an officer exchange program?  Or, perhaps they still have an office exchange program?

I think there are limited officer exchange programs across all the NATO countries.  Granted the integration is nowhere near the level that Canada and the US have via NORAD (which is a truly bi-national command), but there would probably be a few folks.

sarmed1

Quote from: Mela_007 on April 10, 2015, 08:25:18 PM

I agree that SG-1 brought a lot of good press for the AF!  I think it was really well done and I got a kick out of how even a couple of the USAF Joint Chiefs had small roles in a couple of episodes.

Generals Ryan and Jumper played themselves on episodes; I especially like the one with Gen. Ryan, as RDA is acting shocked that he would actually show up at SGC (not sure as if fictional SGC or as "real" SGC would warrant a visit from the real AF Chief of Staff; thats what makes it kind of funny)

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Nikos

One more question about Dr. Strangelove, perhaps the SAC guys can answer it.  In the movie it shows the aircrew checking their survival kits.  Was this just Hollywood making the movie as they wanted?  I mean survival kits should be standard equipment.  How would aircrews have time to do this?

PHall

Quote from: Nikos on April 16, 2015, 10:34:32 PM
One more question about Dr. Strangelove, perhaps the SAC guys can answer it.  In the movie it shows the aircrew checking their survival kits.  Was this just Hollywood making the movie as they wanted?  I mean survival kits should be standard equipment.  How would aircrews have time to do this?

Takes a long time to fly to Mother Russia...

Nikos

Been reading about the B52.  I would say the USAF, and the taxpayers got their money's worth!

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: JeffDG on April 16, 2015, 01:33:32 PM
Quote from: Nikos on April 14, 2015, 11:23:46 PM

I think there are limited officer exchange programs across all the NATO countries.  Granted the integration is nowhere near the level that Canada and the US have via NORAD (which is a truly bi-national command), but there would probably be a few folks.

Indeed; NORAD is quite unique in that respect although NATO HQ is quite similar. 

I met exchange officers in the UK from Germany and Italy (both Tornado operators), the United States (flying Nimrods, two instructors at the Officer School), Canada (can't recall what they were actually doing) and New Zealand (rotary wing aircrew).  Working the other way, we (RAF) sent exchange officers to fly in the US, Canada, Australia and engineers, supply and administration to the US and Canada.

Exchange - as opposed to liaison - can present problems.  When the UK Joint Helo force deployed in 2003 some of the pilots were from countries other than the UK, and their home nations weren't involved in the coalition....!  I'm sure there are some interesting conversations to be had when that happens.  The aircrew were quite happy to go; I have no idea what their national governments had to say on the matter.

Spam

An understatement, for sure, and the cultural issues aren't all between nation states. I've worked with a Marine exchange officer fully cleared into and flying F-22s, for example; can't tell you how interesting some design meetings were with him! We have a number of allied officers currently flying and deployed with US units world wide, same issues today, and have multiple nations involved with system development and test.

My favorite "jointness" incident was a cockpit working group I was helping to run for a large multinational aircraft program four years ago, at which we were arguing over how to mechanize a helmet mounted cueing system alignment cross symbol (because the HMCS was extremely jittery and unusable). Without reaching agreement, the multinational pilot group took a break to cool off, and some humor seemed necessary to get these guys to lighten up. So, I took an action item form, walked over to the other ranking folks, and stated that LTC Mohammed, the Turkish F-4 driver (a nice guy, who usually never spoke up) had just submitted an AI on the absolute unacceptability of the alignment cross, and that Turkey would pull out of the program unless it was fixed.  (Stunned looks). I continued to pretend to read that "Turkey would accept, in place of a cross, a Crescent shaped symbol with Star, PBUH", and then innocently wondered if the Israeli pilot would then need a Star of David symbol, for their aircraft...?   I ended up having ten pounds of empty coffee cups and wadded paper thrown at my head, but the laughter broke the tension and we got some good work done afterwards.

In my experience, Joint/International programs and exchanges can be amazingly touchy, but can result in relationships which can bond together professionals across the globe, helping to prevent misunderstandings in times of crisis, when lives are at stake.  My own CAP Wing is set to engage with a neighboring Wing on a joint Exercise this weekend, which is a Good Thing to blend cultures and look across lines.

V/R,
Spam

PS, when that Stargate episode with the CSAF came out, in which he made comments about the F-22 and ABL being ready to fight the Goa'uld or whoever, all the F-22 program fans could talk about for weeks was, "when will Jumper get us the ECP to upgrade the Block 30 jets with Naquidah" (or however you spell the alien tech word).  Ah, nerdy engineers... "our nerds are smarter than your nerds"!!! (grin)

ColonelJack

Quote from: Spam on April 23, 2015, 06:01:28 AM
My own CAP Wing is set to engage with a neighboring Wing on a joint Exercise this weekend, which is a Good Thing to blend cultures and look across lines.

I hope you're not referring to Alabama.  Some culture lines just shouldn't be crossed.   ;D  ;)  >:D

(Disclaimer:  The above is a joke.  No disrespect is meant toward Alabama or Alabamians - besides, they say pretty much the same thing about Georgia.)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

BillB

Jack....Aren't you glad there is a river separating Alabama and Georgia? Means Alabama won't invade Georgia, besides if they did they would get lost on I-275 at Atlanta.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Brit_in_CAP

In my experience, Joint/International programs and exchanges can be amazingly touchy, but can result in relationships which can bond together professionals across the globe, helping to prevent misunderstandings in times of crisis, when lives are at stake.

Wholly endorse that.  I have a friend who undertook Staff College in Kuwait along with some US Army O5s and their Kuwaiti / Saudi / Afghan colleagues; tricky at first but well worth the hard work.

#1 son went on a USMC MEU and the Lt Col in charge of the Infantry Batallion had undertaken Staff College in the UK.  Much to son's embarassment, the O5 latched on to him almost from the start and liked to chat about his year in the UK!   :)

The benefits far outweigh the costs as far as I'm concerned.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: ColonelJack on April 23, 2015, 09:59:34 AM
My own CAP Wing is set to engage with a neighboring Wing on a joint Exercise this weekend, which is a Good Thing to blend cultures and look across lines.

I hope you're not referring to Alabama.  Some culture lines just shouldn't be crossed.   ;D  ;)  >:D

(Disclaimer:  The above is a joke.  No disrespect is meant toward Alabama or Alabamians - besides, they say pretty much the same thing about Georgia.)

Jack

Smile when you say that... outside the big cities there ain't much difference in culture far behind The Grits Curtain! :D

(2000th post... yay! Still won't get me a free cup of coffee...)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Майор Хаткевич

Yea, the post thing gets old after a while. Grats in 2k however.

Garibaldi

Quote from: BillB on April 23, 2015, 11:53:56 AM
Jack....Aren't you glad there is a river separating Alabama and Georgia? Means Alabama won't invade Georgia, besides if they did they would get lost on I-275 285 at Atlanta.

FTFY.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Garibaldi

Quote from: ColonelJack on April 23, 2015, 09:59:34 AM

Jack

I think of the Weird Al Song about Bama...

Tell me
How was I supposed to know we were both related?
Believe me, if I knew she was my cousin we never would have dated
What to do now? Should I go ahead and propose
And get hitched and have kids with eleven toes
And move to Alabama where that kind of thing is tolerated?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things