Contacting National Headquarters

Started by slimshady, June 30, 2014, 07:02:38 PM

Garibaldi

I'm not going into the decision to leave, but suffice to say, everything said is pretty much dead on. It's a cumulative effect, and after a time, you just have to step back and say "enough." I reached that point a couple of times. I left the cadet program when I went into the Army, became a SM 6 years later, left after 14 years, came back AGAIN after 6 years, and am leaving again. Will I be back? I don't know. I'm not closing the door because I believe in this program and its potential. I will still support the program in whatever way I can; I just won't be an active part.

I enjoy the hell out of teaching cadets stuff. From the proper way to wear a uniform to living in the woods, it's all fun for me. What isn't fun is the bureaucracy involved. Paperwork, orders, regulations, constant change, everything that takes away from me having fun teaching and making me unhappy stuck with crap that I'd rather not do. I'm a doer, not an administrator.

It makes me so happy to see a cadet succeed. There is one who visited the unit back in March. Her brother was the one who wanted to join, and when I asked her if she was interested, she said no. By the end of the night, she was begging for the paperwork, and it is a distinct pleasure to be able to send her to NESA...4 months after joining. She has been a big asset to the program; all the cadets are in the unit, and I fully expect her to get her Spaatz before she leaves.

But, those are the small things that make me want to say. The big things make me want to say [Filter Subversion], get out while I still have some sanity. I have never had any ambition to leave the unit level for a group, wing, or region, let alone a National position. I was quite content with being where I was. But, realistically, it's time to say enough is enough, it's time, I am not going any further. I never intended to become a Lt Col, because it's the end of the road. As long as I had the bogus carrot of promotion, it was fine.

Maybe quitting isn't such a great idea after all. I've had some time to think about it, and while I am disgusted with things, perhaps some time off is what is needed. I'll consider that and speak to the commander on Thursday.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things