Revised CAPR280-2 released today

Started by paul83814, June 03, 2014, 05:58:30 PM

paul83814

Paul Brand, Capt CAP
Personnel & Admin Officer, IT Officer, Asst. Comm. Officer
Coeur d Alene Composite Squadron

"The best portion of a good man's life is the little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love." --William Wordsworth

CAP_truth

Read it carefully, Major changes in report's due dates to higher headquarters.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Interesting. The previous regulation from 22 Feb 2011 had the following wording regarding CAP members' AE responsibilities:

Quote from: CAPR 280-2, 22 Feb 2011c.   CAP members are obligated to involved themselves in aerospace education. Members are required to:

(1)   Be informed on aerospace developments...
     (2)   Speak out on aerospace matters...
     (3)   Share aerospace knowledge...   (emphasis mine)

The new revision changes that wording to the following:

Quote from: CAPR 280-2, 3 Jun 2014c.   CAP members are encouraged to share their knowledge of aerospace with other CAP members and the general public...they should communicate AE concepts...Additionally, CAP members should be informed on aerospace developments...and they should expand their knowledge...   (emphasis mine)

Now, I know CAP couldn't really enforce the previous policy (not the way it was written, anyway), but to me this is going to make AE more of an afterthought than it was before. Thoughts?

Eclipse

Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 04, 2014, 01:28:33 AM... this is going to make AE more of an afterthought than it was before. Thoughts?

That, frankly, would be a tall order...

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Upon further reading, CAP is putting more emphasis on an internal and external AE program at the unit level. Unfortunately, without specific requirements for senior members, I'm not sure how this changes the current reality of the AE program.

BFreemanMA

Other than the awards deadlines, it doesn't really change the program at all. Our SUI guide and pamphlet remain the same.

Eclipse, not to pick a fight, but I've seen you state several times that AE is just given lip service. What are some things you'd like to see that would increase the strength of the AE program as it's perceived? I ask because I feel AE is decently represented in my AO, but I know that is just my opinion and other's mileage may certainly vary. I'm always on the lookout for new ideas and I could stand to learn a lot from someone with a different perspective.
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

Storm Chaser

We have a strong AE program in my AOR, both internal and external. But even then, we could do more on the senior member side of the house.

Eclipse

Quote from: BFreemanMA on June 04, 2014, 02:27:36 AM
Eclipse, not to pick a fight, but I've seen you state several times that AE is just given lip service. What are some things you'd like to see that would increase the strength of the AE program as it's perceived?

I don't see it as a separate mission, certainly not something that could exist on its own.
As I've said before, it strikes me that someone was hunting for CAP's "missions" saw the
tri-prop and said "Let's have three!"

CAP does plenty of AE, but the majority is encompassed within ES and CP, and what is left should be, in the same
way that DDR is now going to be a part of the CP, wrapped into the real core, and not "separate".

As to "external" AE?  We should stop kidding ourselves - we can't do flight training or even O-rides for non-members,
nor balloon rides (and even inflating the balloon takes an act of God), and the F-A-T program is another "good idea"
that does generally result in much of anything, nor do AE members.  Most ExtAE happens as part of
something else, usually a recruiting activity, which is really all the F-A-T and AE memberships are, anyway.

Yes, it's an organizational mandate, and in some states it's tied to funding as CAP has become the defacto
AE provider for a State's checkboxes, but beyond that, I'm not looking for anything "more" because I
don't see anything lacking - just the rehtoric of things not being done.

Seriously, how many wings ever even comment on the POA beyond hounding the units to submit them?
In many (most), the work is "done" when each has submitted them and they are collated nicely into a binder,
never to be viewed again.  This requires an entire separate directorate?

And just like ES or CP, there is no national strategic plan, so nothing for anyone to gauge their own progress against.

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

I think it's a two part problem, really.

1) Most young people aren't fascinated with aerospace nowadays.  To them, it's something routine.  Something that, in their perspective, is and always has been.  Just a means to take the family trip in Disney World.

2) To those who are interested in aerospace, the cost of admission is too darn high.  The powered flight academy is, what, $1,200?  And making a solo flight isn't a sure thing, even if the cadet is on the ball.  And if you're older than 18, well, forget about it unless you have a lot of disposable income or you join the military and get into flight school.

JeffDG

Love the addition of more mandates on operational units.  All units must now have an internal and external AE program.

Also love that the echelons-above-reality are exempt from some requirements.  All levels are required to have an AE plan except region and national.

FW

Quote from: Panache on June 04, 2014, 05:49:15 AM
I think it's a two part problem, really.

1) Most young people aren't fascinated with aerospace nowadays.  To them, it's something routine.  Something that, in their perspective, is and always has been.  Just a means to take the family trip in Disney World.

2) To those who are interested in aerospace, the cost of admission is too darn high.  The powered flight academy is, what, $1,200?  And making a solo flight isn't a sure thing, even if the cadet is on the ball.  And if you're older than 18, well, forget about it unless you have a lot of disposable income or you join the military and get into flight school.

It seems aerospace power and advancement is not a priority to most people today. Our space program is about non existant, the Air Force is shrinking big time, airlines have big problems, general aviation is getting hit from many sides, and nothing seems to be on the horizon to change this.  CAP is not equipped, as it is organized now, to make a significant impact, or should it be.  "We" have determined there are more pressing needs.  Building a stronger aerospace industry doesn't seem to be one of them. 

Flight academies are not expensive for those wanting to learn to fly, and it gives a better introduction to flight principles than in a class room, however it only involves a small percentage of cadets.  O'flights impact more cadets, however how many actually learn from them? How effective are we? Our AE materials are good, however are we even generating interest?

Quote from: JeffDG on June 04, 2014, 11:26:36 AM
Love the addition of more mandates on operational units.  All units must now have an internal and external AE program.

Also love that the echelons-above-reality are exempt from some requirements.  All levels are required to have an AE plan except region and national.

That is unfortunate, however national has a paid AE staff and large volunteer force to make plans.  I have no idea what region does... :-\

BFreemanMA

Points all very well taken with regards to external AE and the lack of fascination. I've had personal luck mitigating the lack of fascination with the model rocketry program, but external AE has been a personal struggle. I've done a few presentations, but, as Eclipse said, they were tied-in to a recruiting attempt. I'd love to visit schools and put on demonstrations, but I'm also a teacher, so I can't exactly leave work. I've reached out to our local libraries and summer school to some success, but I always feel like a lot more could/should be done if I had an assistant who was able to be "on" when I wasn't able to be.

Is this a challenge others are facing as well?
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

MacGruff

Quote from: BFreemanMA on June 04, 2014, 01:02:54 PM

Is this a challenge others are facing as well?

I cannot speak for everyone, of course, but it is clearly a challenge that we are facing in my squadron and even group. I think our Aerospace Education program presented internally is quite strong and we cover the gamut from o-flights through model rockets and incorporate R/C flying and a wind tunnel. Yet even our cadets (yes, those guys who joined an AIR FORCE affiliated program!!!) are displaying an attitude that is less than enthusiastic. For instance, our lead AEO is a pilot who offers to take cadets up on o-flights. Now that the weather has turned nicer, he is offering it twice a week. He has been flying cadets about once a month and typically these are the same cadets he's flown before. We cannot seem to interest the others - and have asked.

As to External AE, we have done nothing except for in the context of recruitment.

I think we have good tools and programs but somehow we do not get invited or manage to wangle our own invitations to schools or groups that would really care. So, I am with you in wondering what else we can be doing?

JeffDG

Quote from: FW on June 04, 2014, 12:15:25 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on June 04, 2014, 11:26:36 AM

That is unfortunate, however national has a paid AE staff and large volunteer force to make plans.  I have no idea what region does... :-\
Yet National is exempted from the requirement that they've imposed on Wings, Groups and Squadrons.  They have the resources to do such planning, yet they choose to shove it down on the operational units, leaving the echelons-above-reality free to come up with more mandates for the units below.