Proper placement of badges on BDUs and Field Uniforms

Started by Stonewall, April 08, 2007, 02:48:21 AM

jb512

Quote from: SarDragon on September 24, 2007, 04:41:15 AM
[changed]

Y'all type too fast!

Yeah, I screwed up my math the first time and changed it real quick after I posted.   ;D

Stonewall

Quote from: jaybird512 on September 24, 2007, 04:46:26 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on September 24, 2007, 04:38:18 AM
Quote from: jaybird512 on September 24, 2007, 04:36:10 AM
If I'm reading it right, the two badges will have a 1/4" space between them because of the 1/8" border with the 1/2" white to white measurement.  The nametape to bottom badge will have a gap because you're measuring from nametape to white.  Correct?

Yes, it'll be about 1/4" between blue borders of the badges.

Then the two gaps will be slightly off because of the nametape...  came out to 0.375" for nametape to white.

Now you're just throwing numbers (read: math) at me, and it's not fair.   :-\

Isn't there a 1/8" space between the letters and the material of the nametapes?  If so, then the gap between the blue in the nametape and the blue of the badge should be the same as the badges above.

I just looked at my Air Force BDUs and the spaces are even between the nametape and the first and second badges.  I didn't sew my Air Force stuff, the Air Force tailor shop at the uniform shop did.  And you know they never mess anything up  ::)
Serving since 1987.

arajca

In the ever-popular, best selling CAPM 39-1, Table 6-4, it says above the Civil AIr PAtrol tape. For other insignia, is says badge. So, you measure from the top of the tape material to the bottom of the embriodery for the baadge closest to the tape and from the embriodery to the embroidery for the badge above that.

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on September 24, 2007, 03:00:18 PM
In the ever-popular, best selling CAPM 39-1, Table 6-4, it says above the Civil AIr PAtrol tape. For other insignia, is says badge. So, you measure from the top of the tape material to the bottom of the embriodery for the baadge closest to the tape and from the embriodery to the embroidery for the badge above that.

So, working up from the name tape, its actually blue-white, then white-to white, right?

"That Others May Zoom"

jb512

Quote from: Eclipse on September 24, 2007, 06:21:18 PM
Quote from: arajca on September 24, 2007, 03:00:18 PM

So, working up from the name tape, its actually blue-white, then white-to white, right?

The way it's written it is.  If you go by the letter, then the spaces will be slightly off.

jb512

Quote from: Stonewall on September 24, 2007, 01:15:31 PM
Quote from: jaybird512 on September 24, 2007, 04:46:26 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on September 24, 2007, 04:38:18 AM
Quote from: jaybird512 on September 24, 2007, 04:36:10 AM
If I'm reading it right, the two badges will have a 1/4" space between them because of the 1/8" border with the 1/2" white to white measurement.  The nametape to bottom badge will have a gap because you're measuring from nametape to white.  Correct?

Yes, it'll be about 1/4" between blue borders of the badges.

Then the two gaps will be slightly off because of the nametape...  came out to 0.375" for nametape to white.

Now you're just throwing numbers (read: math) at me, and it's not fair.   :-\

Isn't there a 1/8" space between the letters and the material of the nametapes?  If so, then the gap between the blue in the nametape and the blue of the badge should be the same as the badges above.

I just looked at my Air Force BDUs and the spaces are even between the nametape and the first and second badges.  I didn't sew my Air Force stuff, the Air Force tailor shop at the uniform shop did.  And you know they never mess anything up  ::)

Ehh, it's not even worth wasting space on the board to talk about.  It says nametape to white, then white to white so the gaps will be different.  I went crazy and just did 1/4" between all blue... out of control.

Stonewall

Sorry, dude.  I'm not at home and don't have my CAP BDUs to reference.  Whatever the reg is, that's what I did.

In the Army, the measurements are purposely off.  If you have two badges, the first is 1/4" from the tape, then the second is 1/8" above the first badge.  Same goes above ribbons on Class As.  At least that's the way it was back in the day (which, for your information, was a Wednesday).
Serving since 1987.

jb512

I thought that the AF was the only one with such a huge gap between ribbons and badges.  For some reason I thought all the other services were less than the 1/2 inch.

Hawk200

Quote from: Stonewall on September 25, 2007, 02:46:14 AMIn the Army, the measurements are purposely off.  If you have two badges, the first is 1/4" from the tape, then the second is 1/8" above the first badge.  Same goes above ribbons on Class As. 

Nah, man, 'fraid not. First one is 1/4", like you said. Second one, however, is 1/2" above the first. That's from the 3 Feb 2005 edition of 670-1. Check paragragh 29-17 d, last line. In paper format, it's on page 300. On a PDF file, go to page 323.

Pretty much the only time an 1/8" measurement applies to badges is when it's on the pocket flap, or below ribbons.

Stonewall

I'm sorry bro, my mind is totally slipping, being up here in Georgia on orders.  Next to tech school, this is the longest I've been "playing air force".

Hawk is right, I meant the opposite, it goes from 1/4" to 1/2", not the opposite.  I'm usually posting this stuff from the comfort of my own home where I have reference materials.  I'll stop trying to do this stuff off the top of my head.
Serving since 1987.

Hawk200

Quote from: Stonewall on September 25, 2007, 01:43:37 PM
I'm sorry bro, my mind is totally slipping, being up here in Georgia on orders.  Next to tech school, this is the longest I've been "playing air force".

Hawk is right, I meant the opposite, it goes from 1/4" to 1/2", not the opposite.  I'm usually posting this stuff from the comfort of my own home where I have reference materials.  I'll stop trying to do this stuff off the top of my head.

No worries, brother. Lived in Georgia for a while, know what it does to a person.  ;D

gallagheria

Question on the placement of patches. The American flag goes on the right side. Where does the wing patch go and where does the local unit patch go (as far as left pocket and right pocket)? I have seen them vice-versa, and some units are still wearing them on the shoulder.

Capt M. Sherrod

Depending on your wing, it may or may not be mandated on Left sleeve.  As far as a unit patch, that should be on the pocket that your name is above.  IIRC.
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

davedove

Quote from: 2d Lt M. Sherrod on September 26, 2007, 04:19:13 PM
Depending on your wing, it may or may not be mandated on Left sleeve.  As far as a unit patch, that should be on the pocket that your name is above.  IIRC.

That's right.  If you choose to wear the optional unit patch, it is worn centered on the upper right BDU pocket.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

gallagheria

You have me confused now. Sorry, but I am new to CAP, and am Army, where I have learned things are a bit easier on the uniform.

The reg says:
Quoteg. Optional patches previously worn on the right shoulder of the BDUs, field and utility uniforms. Those patches that were removed to allow wear of the reverse American flag on the right shoulder are now authorized to be worn centered on the lower portion of the left pocket or corresponding position on the utility uniform. The mandatory wear date of the reverse American flag was extended to 1 April 2007.
This would be beneath the "U.S. Civil Air Patrol."

MIKE

That is not refering to unit patches... It refers to activity patches which were previously worn on the right shoulder of the BDU, Field Uniform and field jackets.
Mike Johnston

jimmydeanno

Quote from: gallagheria on September 26, 2007, 04:31:25 PM
You have me confused now. Sorry, but I am new to CAP, and am Army, where I have learned things are a bit easier on the uniform.

The reg says:
Quoteg. Optional patches previously worn on the right shoulder of the BDUs, field and utility uniforms. Those patches that were removed to allow wear of the reverse American flag on the right shoulder are now authorized to be worn centered on the lower portion of the left pocket or corresponding position on the utility uniform. The mandatory wear date of the reverse American flag was extended to 1 April 2007.
This would be beneath the "U.S. Civil Air Patrol."

Those patches are ones like the NCSA patches (Hawk Mtn, NESA, COS, etc).  They go on the left breast pocket centered as stated.  The unit patch (squadron, group) go on the right breast pocket centered.  The Reverse American Flag goes on the right sleeve, 1/2 inch down from the shoulder seam, centered.  The Wing Patch (if required) goes on the left sleeve, 1/2 down from the shoulder seam, centered.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

gallagheria

that seems to make more sense. Way too many patches . . .

davedove

Quote from: gallagheria on September 26, 2007, 06:00:45 PM
that seems to make more sense. Way too many patches . . .

There are several patches, but it all boils down to six locations.

Right Shoulder:  Reverse US Flag Patch (required)
Left Shoulder:  Wing Patch
Right Breast above Name Tape:  Emergency Services Patch
Left Breast above CAP Tape:  Aeronautical and specialty badges
Right Pocket:  Unit Patch
Left Pocket:  Special activity, qualification patch

The only badge required is the US Flag.  There may be some variation based on Wing, but I believe all the others are optional.  Most people will wear their badges.

I have one uniform I am keeping fairly free of patches and one I call my "NASCAR Driver" uniform where I am putting a patch everywhere I'm authorized.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

MIKE

You forgot the Model Rocketry patch which can be worn in lieu of the unit patch on the right pocket by cadets.
Mike Johnston