Sigh...setting up a Blazer for my G/Ws

Started by Майор Хаткевич, March 04, 2014, 11:52:55 PM

Майор Хаткевич

So I finally surrendered.

I have my Nameplate and Crest in hand...Crest with 4 pins, and the little plastic case with magnets. Is that the thing Eclipse will tell me to throw out?  >:D

Nameplate was ok...I see a lot of glue around the Capt grade. How is it that the shield looks good, but the Capt looks like crap? Any safe way to clean that up?

Any suggested spacing between nameplate and crest, or just throw that together anyway I want?

The other thing...I need a blazer...

Any suggested on what to get? Something cheap, preferably.

Blazer type, semi form-fitted, drape, single-breasted, two- or three-button
model with two lower patch pockets, optional breast patch pocket on left side.
Material is dark blue flannel, tropical worsted, or similar commercial blend.

mdickinson

Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 04, 2014, 11:52:55 PM
I need a blazer...
Any suggested on what to get? Something cheap, preferably.
Your local Goodwill or Salvation Army has exactly the blazer you need. It will run you about $10.

QuoteNameplate was ok...I see a lot of glue around the Capt grade. How is it that the shield looks good, but the Capt looks like crap?
What a shame to hear (from you and from earlier posters in another thread) that Vanguard is hot-gluing the grade insignia to the black nameplates now.  The ones we used to get from CAPmart had a hole for the grade insignia, which was held on by a threaded bolt and a little knurled nut on the back. It meant you could reuse your nameplate for every rank - except Captain, which had two holes.  Sounds like they cheaped out and discarded that system.

Eclipse

Yes, the pocket protector should be put first in the BBQ and then in the recycle bin.

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

Quote from: Eclipse on March 05, 2014, 04:45:55 AM
Yes, the pocket protector should be put first in the BBQ and then in the recycle bin.

So, what you're saying is "Kill It With Fire!"?

Eclipse

Yes - the ORM on just putting it in the recycle and its coal-black, wedgie-inducing soul being resurrected as
something else is just too high.

It must be dead before disposal.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

So....on the blazer...any clues as to what dark blue means?

Panache

Dark navy, usually.  That's what I've always seen.

Panache

If you can't find one used anywhere, I ended up getting mind from Galls.  It appears that's the cheapest I was able to find.

Quartermaster Mens Poly Uniform Blazer

As far as quality goes... eh.  It's good enough for something I wear every blue moon.

Eclipse

Dark enough that it looks black in most light.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Got it. Heaven forbid it's close to AF blue.

Panache

Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 05, 2014, 05:59:14 AM

Well, last thing we want is for some Airman to see your tiny little captain's bars on your nameplate and salute you by accident.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Panache on March 05, 2014, 06:49:25 AM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 05, 2014, 05:59:14 AM

Well, last thing we want is for some Airman to see your tiny little captain's bars on your nameplate and salute you by accident.

Or claim "he tried to make me salute him!" and spread it all over Air Force Times.

If only we had a proper service coat and cap for that kit...but that ain't happening. >:(
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

AlphaSigOU

I just recently ordered a blazer nameplate and it still has the screwback grade insignia. Perhaps the Captain nameplate is the only one that is glued?
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

In days of olde the Captain required a different namplate because it was made differently, this might be the compromise.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

If that's the case, shouldn't they look as good as the opposite device?

VNY

Quote from: Panache on March 05, 2014, 05:35:39 AM
If you can't find one used anywhere, I ended up getting mind from Galls.  It appears that's the cheapest I was able to find.

As far as quality goes... eh.  It's good enough for something I wear every blue moon.

I see your $45 and lower you $15

http://www.uniformswarehouse.com/prostores/servlet/-strse-924/Professional-Blazer/Detail

Panache

Well, heck.  I wished I knew about those about a year ago.

VNY

Quote from: Panache on March 05, 2014, 04:52:38 PM
Well, heck.  I wished I knew about those about a year ago.

I can vouch for these being fairly durable as well.  I have the black version of one of these and its holding up to fairly hard use in an environment where I really should be wearing a Dickies or Redkap jacket.

Devil Doc

Quote from: VNY on March 05, 2014, 04:40:03 PM

http://www.uniformswarehouse.com/prostores/servlet/-strse-924/Professional-Blazer/Detail

I See your $30 and lower you $15 :)

That is me on the Right, in my "Husky" Days, $ 10- $15 Goodwill.

Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

VNY

Quote from: Devil Doc on March 05, 2014, 05:39:19 PM
Quote from: VNY on March 05, 2014, 04:40:03 PM

I See your $30 and lower you $15 :)
That is me on the Right, in my "Husky" Days, $ 10- $15 Goodwill.

Yes, but for $15 more you can have both a new coat and save yourself the trouble if driving around looking for some relic of the Disco era that just happens to fit.