removing a deputy commander

Started by smilindrew, November 19, 2013, 11:49:17 PM

ol'fido

I command a large group with a geographical area that is larger than a few wings. I as a group commander in that situation do not have the luxury of micromanaging each of my squadrons every personnel decision. If I had received adverse information on a member of a squadron, I would be talking with the relevant squadron cc and if needed, the affected staff member as well. I would not order any kind of a personnel change at a subordinate unit without real cause that could be documented and proven to a higher authority. I might suspend a member if the situation warranted it such as gross misconduct, pending felony charges, cadet protection issues, etc. but I would also work through the unit cc(unless it was him) in doing so. I would also make sure that I did my due diligence and proceeded within the limits of the regulations.

Do I as a group commander have the power to unilaterally remove a subordinate unit's staff officers or order the unit cc to remove them. Probably. But this is not something that I would do except in the circumstances described above. Remove someone because of a personality conflict when he doesn't work for me? No. That is bad leadership, poor exercise of command, and just petty. I don't have to like someone to work with them, for them, or have them work for me. But until they cross "the line in the sand" of misconduct or insubordination, removal or suspension is just an abuse of power.

We have no idea of the circumstances involved here and if we did, somebody is probably talking about things they shouldn't.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

ZigZag911

Ol' Fido has it right...my group had more members than half the wings in our region!

Did I have the authority, under CAP regs, to order the removal of a squadron deputy CC?  I believe so.

I did not ever do it...nor would I, except under the most extreme circumstances...which in my view, would probably indicate I had lost confidence in the squadron CC, as well.

Eclipse

The only reason I could see this happening is if one of these "saviors" shows up from another wing or off the
000 / patron books with a history unknown to the CC but known to the Group CC or others.

A "not no but H-E-Double Hockey Sticks no" deal because of someone who dropped off or out instead of being term'ed or similar.

BTDT, it happens, but not very often, and I agree if there's an issue where a Group CC has a real problem with downstream staff
and has to go "under" the unit CC's head to remove that person, there's a confidence issue with the CC as well.

"That Others May Zoom"