Main Menu

sos equivalent

Started by smilindrew, November 03, 2013, 06:35:53 PM

smilindrew

Is the new reg that to do the squadron leadership school online you have to have a  degree of some sort?

AlphaSigOU

To enroll in Air University Squadron Officers' School, Air Command and Staff College or Air War College, you must have a college degree. For CAP professional development courses, no college degree is required.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

smilindrew

So if you have no college degree, and want to advance to level 4 , then you cant without going to sos, and taking a week off of work and doing this, makes no sense

Eclipse

Actually, you'd go to an RSC, which is the preferred way to do it anyway and how the vast majority
of members have completed LIV.

Past major requires and expects more commitment of time and effort.

The ability to take SOS in lieu of RSC was a nice-to-have that very few members actually did and
is still open to those who qualify.  The recent change was an Air Force enforcement of what was apparently
supposed to be the policy all along but not being watched by either side.

"That Others May Zoom"

AlphaSigOU

And you're not restricted from only attending RSC in your region. I went to Pacific Region Staff College in 2009, when I was a member of Texas Wing.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

MSG Mac

If you have attended a military NCO course (see 50-17) you can substitute it for RSC, OBC, or NSC, depending on the level of the military course.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

lordmonar

Quote from: MSG Mac on November 04, 2013, 02:25:40 AM
If you have attended a military NCO course (see 50-17) you can substitute it for RSC, OBC, or NSC, depending on the level of the military course.
WARNING, WARNING, WARNING!

NHQ does a one for one substitution for your military PME.

I did not know this way back when and used my NCO Academy Cert instead of doing ECI 13.  Later My personnel officer used my SNCO Academy Cert for RSC.....I later tired to use SNCO Academy for NSC......Oh Sorry Capt Harris....we can't do that it's a one for one swap.  I went back and did ECI 13......No sorry Capt Harris....once used for X it cannot be used for Y....even if you go back and do X.

Makes no sense....but there it is......

So  If you got SNCO....use it for NSC....AND NOTHING ELSE!

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

a2capt

Well maybe if you'd used it for something recent you might have pleaded a better case, but going back to ECI 13 when you'd already built on top of it.

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on November 04, 2013, 03:17:45 AM

Or, you know, you could just attend the training...always an option.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on November 04, 2013, 04:32:06 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on November 04, 2013, 03:17:45 AM

Or, you know, you could just attend the training...always an option.
I already burn over three weeks of leave for CAP purposes a year.........you want to pay me for my time to go to Maxwell and I will.

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on November 04, 2013, 05:50:42 AM
I already burn over three weeks of leave for CAP purposes a year.........you want to pay me for my time to go to Maxwell and I will.

Nope - life is choice and you're making yours, just as everyone else has to. 

There are plenty of members for whom 3 weeks is one activity and give far more then 3 weeks, and lots and lot of people
that take unpaid time for CAP activities.

If PD is priority, you make the time and the choice, if it isn't, you don't.  You've already gotten a pass on two of the
gating requirements that most members have to do, and NSC isn't really on the radar for most members, and those
who choose to take on national responsibility are going to give a lot more then 3 weeks a year, anyway.

No one should ever feel defensive or "less" if they can't get to RSC or NSC, but by the same token, the "I'm doing 'real' CAP
work and don't have the time" doesn't fly anymore then it would in a business or military environment where extra training is required
to move up.  Everyone knows the deal when the join.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Eclipse....you are the one making them feel less by telling them to do the training instead of applying for a waiver for knowledge already learned.

I am saying.......if you got a week to spend on CAP.......and you got Military PME.....don't waste that week at RSC or NSC.....go staff an encampment or help out an NCSA or Surrogate Predator or any one of the wonderful things CAP is doing.

And for you to say otherwise is a disservice to CAP and its members.

End of lecture.