Question: Must members complete online training for mishap reporting?

Started by smithwr2, October 03, 2013, 06:07:54 PM

smithwr2

In this time of Annual Safety Surveys (Oct 2013), the first question on the survey this year reads:     "All active members have successfully completed the online training for mishap reporting in the Safety Management System (SMS)"    (Y N N/a) "

My Question: Must (not asking "should") members complete the online training for mishap reporting?

I can see no requirement for 'must' or 'shall' complete mishap training etc.  anywhere in the regs. 

I noted there was an interesting thread recently 2012  which seemed to get nuked in terms of ability to reply...so I will re-create it below, in the hopes that some discussion can be brought up to date.

In that thread I found the following to be the most relevant to the Annual Safety Survey topic of "members must complete the online training for mishap reporting":

Vento:  "the best answer is N/A and explain in the notes that it is not required by current CAP regulations. In many wings like CAWG for example, answering NO will trigger a follow up action with a self assigned deadline and you will have to come back and update your survey. Remember it is a survey, not an audit. "

Some folks believe the creeping beaurocracy is what is killing motivation and energy in CAP, esp among pilots, so some folks would prefer to not impose additional safety training requirements until such are actually required.

Thank you for your thoughts on this matter,

Randy Smith
CAP Capt
Asst Safety Officer
PCR-WA-015

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAP Talk
General Discussion => Membership => Topic started by: umpirecali on December 09, 2012, 12:37:31 AM
Title: Safety survey, online file a mishap

Post by: umpirecali on December 09, 2012, 12:37:31 AM

I am the safety officer for my squadron and I am starting to fill out my year-end safety survey.  There is a question asking if all of our seniors have taken the online class on how file a mishap.  I known the answer is most likely "no" but is there any report out that tells who has and who hasn't taken the class?

Title: Re: Safety survey, online file a mishap
Post by: vento on December 09, 2012, 01:00:41 AM
Quote from: umpirecali on December 09, 2012, 12:37:31 AM
I am the safety officer for my squadron and I am starting to fill out my year-end safety survey.  There is a question asking if all of our seniors have taken the online class on how file a mishap.  I known the answer is most likely "no" but is there any report out that tells who has and who hasn't taken the class?

If your members really took and completed the training, then answer YES.
However, if otherwise, then the best answer is N/A and explain in the notes that it is not required by current CAP regulations. In many wings like CAWG for example, answering NO will trigger a follow up action with a self assigned deadline and you will have to come back and update your survey. Remember it is a survey, not an audit.

Title: Re: Safety survey, online file a mishap
Post by: vento on December 09, 2012, 01:03:16 AM
BTW, there is no report that is readily available. In my unit, we've asked our members to send us a copy of their certificate of completion. Surprisingly there were quite a few who did it, but not ALL of them.

umpirecali

smithwr2,

This is something we are wrestling with.  On my safety survey I answered "no" and I was asked to follow-up on it.  There is no reg that I know of, however it is on the safety survey "have all of your senior members completed the how to file a mishap training on-line"?

There is no way to report on this and with the turnover we had this year, I am not going to try to stay on it if they don't put a report in place and requirement to have it done.

Safety Officer
Homeland Security Officer
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

EMT-83

That's the correct answer: No they haven't completed it and there is no requirement for them to complete it.

The latest version of the Wing inspection guide asks the DPD about squadron compliance with Level 1 and references a paragraph in a regulation that doesn't exist. Pretty much the same answer.

smithwr2

I have posted the following question to CAP Knowledgebase:

Please post your answer to the the Knowledgebase so all members can benefit from CAP guidance.

2 Questions: 

1)  Is Online training for mishap reporting in the Safety Management System (SMS) required for all active members?

2)  If Online training for mishap reporting in the Safety Management System (SMS) is required for all active members, please cite the regulation which requires this.

Motivation for this question:   Instruction -  the first question on the survey this year (2013) reads: 
     "All active members have successfully completed the online training for mishap reporting in the Safety Management System (SMS)"    (Y N N/a)

smithwr2

I have also posted this question:

I am a unit safety officer.  On the 2013 annual safety survey there is a question:

the first question on the survey this year (2013) reads: 
     "All active members have successfully completed the online training for mishap reporting in the Safety Management System (SMS)"    (Y N N/a)

Question:  What is the location of the eServices/SMS database for tracking and reporting all active members who have successfully completed the online training for mishap reporting in the Safety Management System (SMS)?

Luis R. Ramos

As each member completes the mishap reporting class, it is logged into their safety record automatically. How do you know who has taken it? By going into the Safety Reports module. Last time I was Safety Assistant, I was able to get it there... I cannot check at this time to make sure as I am not a Safety Assistant anymore.

Flyer

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

smithwr2

Short answer:  The online training for mishap reporting is currently not required by regulation. It is however desired that every member has this training .....

Randy

Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:36 AM
Cc: Kay, Alex; Olienyk, Ron
Subject: KB Question 131015-000000

Sir,

Thank you very much for your Knowledge Base question regarding the online training for mishap reporting in SMS.

The online training for mishap reporting is currently not required by regulation. It is however desired that every member has this training since every member could potentially be involved in a mishap and might be required or called upon to enter that mishap into the SMS.

The training, accomplished via PowerPoint presentations, explains to the members where and how to enter a mishap, explains step 1 and 2 and how to enter a statement. It also addresses a few of the mistakes which are common in the process (for example entering personally identifiable information like names and CAP ID's in the narrative portion of the initial notification (Step 1)).

The Safety Survey, where this question originates, is not a CUI, and the questions are not necessarily based on the regulation. Some of the questions are based on best practices, and they give the chain of command an impression of the state of the safety program in their AOR. As stated in the fifth bullet above the survey "the purpose of this survey is to gain information about your unit's awareness and may not have regulatory basis for the question asked. This is a working document intended for units to update for use in safety program improvements, as well as for headquarters to track subordinate unit awareness and provide support as necessary."

I hope that helps. If you have any further questions please contact me at any time.

VR

Axel 'Rosy' Kreimeier
National Safety Team Liaison, CAP

smithwr2

Here is the specific info on how to find out who has taken the online training for mishap reporting, so you can complete the upcoming Annual Safety Survey.  The CAP Knowledgebease folks have been really responsive in answering important questions, in my experience....

How to query the Safety database (from Knowledgebase staff): 

"After going to the SMS in eServices click on Reports, either in the menu on the left or you can use the icon with the bar graph and pencil labeled Reports. In the left pull down menu ("Select Report") select "Online Safety Education Report (By Title)." This will open three more selections for you:

1. Select the member type (All);
2. Select your Organization;
3. Select the title of the course you need ("Safety Management System – How to File a Mishap – Step 1";
"Safety Management System – How to Update a Mishap – Step 2").

Lastly after selecting your desired format (pdf, word, or excel) click submit and you will receive the report."

I hope this information has been helpful in dealing with the Annual Safety Survey.

Randy