Transport Mission Pilot Requirements

Started by 2oh6, February 22, 2013, 09:28:47 AM

2oh6

CAPR 60-3 says a transport mission pilot needs "at least 100 hours pilot in command time including at least 50 hours of cross-country flying."

Does PIC/XC time from other classes apply towards this requirement?  I can't find a regulation that requires that this time be in an airplane.

Thanks!

JeffDG

You're correct.

There is no specification that the time must be "airplane".  Also note, that it must be XC time, and does not impose the restrictions that you see for things like an Instrument Rating that it must be >50nm from the origin, so hopping to an airport 10nm away is XC time for the purposes of this reg.

Flying Pig

At the time I did my Mission Pilot a few years ago.... most of my xctry was helicopter.  Most of the flights I was making were well over 50+ miles away anyway.   I had MTP, but I went right for MP because I had the time. 

2oh6

Thanks for the info guys!  Good answers to hear.

I'm in the process of signing up for the Civil Air Patrol.  I'd like to get qualified for several of the tasks, both ground and aircrew, including the different mission pilot positions.  I don't really care whether or not I get to fly on CAPs dime, I'd just like to be helpful in making stuff happen.  I'm generally pretty available (often times already at the airport) and could respond quickly if an OPORD came down the line.

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 22, 2013, 05:25:51 PM
At the time I did my Mission Pilot a few years ago.... most of my xctry was helicopter.  Most of the flights I was making were well over 50+ miles away anyway.   I had MTP, but I went right for MP because I had the time.

That's kind of the boat I'm in.  I have PP-ASEL and about 30 hrs PIC, but I just started a professional helicopter program that should supplement those hours pretty quickly.

Flying Pig

Just keep one very important thing in mind.  When CAP needs airplane pilots.... they need GOOD airplane pilots.  Not helicopter pilots who dabble in airplanes once in a while.  I am dual rated and fly both airplanes and helicopters for a living.  As you know, they are two totally different animals. Just don't get sucked in to the trap of thinking 150hrs as a new commercial helicopter grandfathers you in to being a good airplane pilot.  If I got into an airplane with a 30hr airplane pilot..... Id  be in the front seat with access to the controls. 

2oh6

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 22, 2013, 07:11:14 PMJust don't get sucked in to the trap of thinking 150hrs as a new commercial helicopter grandfathers you in to being a good airplane pilot.

Yea, I understand.  I have a little time in both and they're completely different animals.  I intend to maintain currency and proficiency in both.  The difference between the two, for me, is that I had to chose one for the aviation degree, and the other would have to be out-of-pocket.

I chose to pay for airplane flying out-of-pocket, and I passed my PP-ASEL checkride a week ago.  I got my tailwheel endorsement yesterday (always wanted to fly taildraggers).  I hope to add complex and high performance soon, perhaps through CAP if that's an option.  So, to speak to your concern, I do understand that in addition to currency regulations, I have a moral obligation to maintain proficiency in airplanes if I'm going to be flying them.

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 22, 2013, 07:11:14 PM
If I got into an airplane with a 30hr airplane pilot..... Id  be in the front seat with access to the controls.

Don't blame ya ;)

blackrain

Always wondered about the guys who fly both fixed and rotary. Have you ever forgotten which platform your in and tried to transition to a hover in a 182? ;D
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

PHall

Quote from: blackrain on February 23, 2013, 04:03:46 AM
Always wondered about the guys who fly both fixed and rotary. Have you ever forgotten which platform your in and tried to transition to a hover in a 182? ;D

On a windy day it is almost possible to hover a Piper Cub! >:D

Flying Pig

There have been many times that Ive landed one, went pee.... and literally walked out the door and got in the other.  Ive never had an issue confusing the two.  Where you have to get your mind set straight is with EP's.  In a helicopter, if you have an egine failure, you pull back.  In an airplane you push forward.  If you reverse it in either one, if could be big trouble.  In a helicopter, aggressively pushing forward during an engine failure would probably be unrecoverable. 

I have about 2000hrs airplane and a touch over 1000 helicopter.  You just cant be rushed when you are jumping from one aircraft to the other.  You need to take some time to prep yourself mentally as to which one you are flying.  Really.....  Its not a big deal.  I dont think much about it.  But I do think enough about it to take some mental notes as to which one I am in.  I fly an MD500E and a T206H, and soon to be added, a UH1H Super. 

a2capt

LOL, on the day before the SpaceShipOne launch, I was actually flying "backwards" when I slowed down for final. I watched the road come back into view in the windscreen, that I was passing, while on short final in a C172 with flaps down. They were reporting 37kts down the runway, it was obviously a bit more ... higher up. ;-)

2oh6

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 23, 2013, 04:57:12 AM
I fly an MD500E and a T206H, and soon to be added, a UH1H Super.

[darnit] I'm so jealous!  The 500 line and the Huey line are my dream machines.  I have .5 in a (de-mil'ed) OH-6.  By far the funnest stick time I've gotten.

I really hope to someday have a job that lets me fly both airplane and helicopters.  Those jobs seem rare, though.  I'd love to know what you do for a living.  If you don't want to say publicly, feel free to PM.  If you don't want to say at all, no problem.

Flying Pig

Quote from: 2oh6 on February 23, 2013, 06:26:46 AM

.  I'd love to know what you do for a living.  If you don't want to say publicly, feel free to PM.  If you don't want to say at all, no problem.

FLYING  PIG     Give it a minute.....  It sorta sneaks up on you.

EMT-83

blackrain

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 23, 2013, 03:56:36 PM

.  I'd love to know what you do for a living.  If you don't want to say publicly, feel free to PM.  If you don't want to say at all, no problem.

I suddenly had a vision of a flying Erik Estrada >:D
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

Flying Pig

Quote from: blackrain on February 23, 2013, 04:44:08 PM

I suddenly had a vision of a flying Erik Estrada >:D

So now Im selling real estate in the Bayou on a late night informercial on Telemundo?   >:D

2oh6

LOL. That's what I was guessing, but I didn't want to make any false accusations.

I've seriously considered that career field.  Tried to get into it in the military (CID), but they wanted me to reenlist prior to finding out if I would be accepted—the approval process is longer than the amount of time I had left.  Decided I'd rather know that I could go fly helicopters, than hope to get picked up as an agent.

LE, Fire, SAR, or EMS is where I hope to be, preferably as an aviator.  Not sure why I'm drawn to the public service types of jobs.  Masochism, perhaps?

Flying Pig

SAR is a weird animal.  There really is no agency or company in the US that does only SAR outside of the military.  For that, you would probably be an LE or Fire pilot that also has a SAR mission.  There are a lot of agencies who do it all. LE, Fire, SAR and EMS. Contrary to popular belief, Forest Service and Park Service helicopters are civilian contracted companies. So you would have to get on with that company first.  That company would determine which one of their pilots flies that particular contract.

EMS.  Youll need usually 2500hrs with about 1000hrs turbine to really be competitive.  You will probably find yourself being a CFI until you have about 1000-1500hrs, then going to the Gulf of Mexico or tours in the Grand Canyon to build your turbine time for a couple years.  Then you will probably be ready for an entry level type EMS job.  Entry level meaning a VFR only, probably in a 407 or an AStar.  Then progressing up to IFR twins, EC135s seem to be dominating the industry now.  Assuming the company you work for has those.   Or, if you manage to get into a utility company like Air 2 or Haverfield.  But they usually want pilots with precision long line experience.  You will spend 8 hours per day in all weather, hanging out of the door of your MD500 looking straight down in a 200ft hover.  Make sure you have a good chiropractic plan! 

The gulf is neat because you can progress into bigger IFR twins.  The S76, AW139, S92, EH101's, EC145s.  Not very exciting flying, but S92 captains of "heavies" are up in the $120K++ range.   If you are a type rated SIC or PIC, some of those companies are paying out $15K-$20K retention bonuses to keep their guys from jumping to other companies.  I know an S92 captain who is making about $180K.  He is also a check airman and Mx check pilot, which also come with their own bonuses. 

In the civilian helicopter market, be prepared to move around for jobs.  In my travels, Texas seems to be the one state where you could just about do it all without really relocating.  CFI jobs, Gulf oil jobs, EMS, several of the LE agencies have civilian pilots.   If you are somewhere where helicopters are slim pickins' dont get to settled down or a few years from now you will find your dreams of flying helicopters for a living quickly fading.   If you are just starting out.  Dont worry about a focus right now.  just know that you need to get up to your CFII.  Your first job after being a CFI for a while isnt going to be your "career" job either.   You may end up finding yourself in an area of helicopter flying that you never even considered just based on what doors open and close for you and the personal contacts you make in the industry. 

Feel free to PM me with any questions.  Or ask them here.  I figure there are plenty of other aspiring future pilots here that click through these posts.   Im not the industry expert..... but I think I have a good handle on the path.