Main Menu

Hair standards

Started by ZombieButter, February 16, 2013, 05:20:21 AM

ZombieButter

The hair standards seem to be in three different parts of 39-1, and people including myself seem to be having problems understanding the regs. We have a male cadet that has an 'older version' JB haircut with highlights that doesn't touch the ears and a female cadet with a fro.

I am looking at page 11 and can't say that I fully understand it. What does it mean by 'bulk'?

Eclipse

(will not)
"...be worn in an extreme or fad style or in such a way that exceeds length
or bulk standards or violates safety requirements.  Will not touch the
ears and only closely cut or shaved hair on the back of the neck may
touch the collar.  Will not exceed 1 1/4 inches in bulk regardless of
length and not exceed 1/4 inch at the natural termination point.  Will not
contain or have any visible foreign items attached to it..."

"Bulk" in this case means you can't have overly long hair all piled on top, around, or crammed under the hat to try and skirt the
regs.  For the most part, if you don't look something like the photos or diagrams in 39-1, you're out of reg, and that's the
easiest way to explain it to members, especially cadets.

The bold above pretty much covers the JBs, green mohawks, and even the hardkewl hockey pucks.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

Here is the main gist, off the ears, off the collar, not blocked in the back, not protruding from the front of your headgear, nor bulky in appearance, neat and manageable.

LGM30GMCC

Basically, if you could push a sewing gauge to the scalp, and without cramming the hair down see where it sits in depth regardless of length, and that is less than the required measurements, you're good.

A fro could be perfectly acceptable, as long as it doesn't interfere with the proper wearing of the cover, or appear faddish or extreme. But that standard is also very subjective. Something folks in CAP don't always do so well with.

NIN

By "old-style JB" do I rightly assume we mean Justin Bieber?

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

cantthinkof1

I know of a cadet in my unit who has a mohawk for some reason.  It's not even shaped up.  Hopefully he cuts it to regulation by tomorrow's meeting.

Eclipse

Mohawks have been indicated as "faddish" and disallowed for years.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

Quote from: NIN on February 17, 2013, 06:54:41 PM
By "old-style JB" do I rightly assume we mean Justin Bieber?
"old style JB(Justin Bieber?) Isn't that a contradiction in terms? As for the JB style haircut, why would anyone....him(?)?
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Eclipse on February 16, 2013, 05:26:09 AM
"Bulk" in this case means you can't have overly long hair all piled on top, around, or crammed under the hat to try and skirt the
regs. 

Bulk also helps to define "fros."  It's easy to keep it off the ears and neck, but the "bulk" of the hair could be 9 inches from the scalp.  The "JB" style would probably not meet the requirements because of bang length.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

TJT__98

Sorry, I don't keep up with Justin Bieber's hair (or anything else about for that matter)  ;D
C/MSgt
Wright Award 21322

RogueLeader

Quote from: TJT__98 on February 19, 2013, 03:49:56 PM
Sorry, I don't keep up with Justin Bieber's hair (or anything else about for that matter)  ;D
Who's Justin Bieber?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

PhotogPilot

Quote from: RogueLeader on February 19, 2013, 05:13:19 PM
Who's Justin Bieber?

Much like Mongo, Justin Bieber ain't exactly a "who", he's more of a "what".

Brad

Quote from: PhotogPilot on February 19, 2013, 05:23:15 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on February 19, 2013, 05:13:19 PM
Who's Justin Bieber?

Much like Mongo, Justin Bieber ain't exactly a "who", he's more of a "what".

Maybe we should send Justin Bieber a Candygram then...

But yea the 'fro probably is going to have to go, and as far as the highlights...do you mean natural-looking highlights, or like frosted tips Guy Fieri style?
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

a2capt

BHartman007

There was a cadet at the Squadron I'm applying to, who at last night's meeting had a multi-colored, multi-spiked mohawk.:o  I don't think they were impressed, as they had him standing off to the side of the drill pad holding his jacket in his hand.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

Private Investigator

Quote from: BHartman007 on February 20, 2013, 03:15:29 AM... at last night's meeting had a multi-colored, multi-spiked mohawk.:o  I don't think they were impressed,

I was not impressed either   >:D

Welcome to CAP Talk

Luis R. Ramos

A2-

Funny! The cat can discriminate...

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

BHartman007

Quote from: Private Investigator on February 20, 2013, 09:14:00 AM
Quote from: BHartman007 on February 20, 2013, 03:15:29 AM... at last night's meeting had a multi-colored, multi-spiked mohawk.:o  I don't think they were impressed,

I was not impressed either   >:D

Welcome to CAP Talk

Well now you have me curious, lol.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

NIN

Quote from: BHartman007 on February 20, 2013, 03:15:29 AM
There was a cadet at the Squadron I'm applying to, who at last night's meeting had a multi-colored, multi-spiked mohawk.:o  I don't think they were impressed, as they had him standing off to the side of the drill pad holding his jacket in his hand.

Thats the purpose of the so-called "Motivation Phase" anyway.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.