The old corporate uniform

Started by okeecap, November 16, 2012, 12:46:15 AM

Luis R. Ramos

QuoteIn fact, considering that, beyond appearance, there is no need to blouse field pants for the average unit meeting, it would probably be better
for everyone involved, but especially cadets, to wear the trousers "down", with black street shows, unless they are involved in field operations.  That would allow everyone to wear street shoes for normal meetings and drill.  As it is painfully pointed out on a regular basis, the majority of our cadets are
not involved in ES, so the majority would never need to purchase boot at all.

What does 39-1 says about blousing and boots?

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Garibaldi

Quote from: flyer333555 on November 19, 2012, 05:21:40 PM
QuoteIn fact, considering that, beyond appearance, there is no need to blouse field pants for the average unit meeting, it would probably be better
for everyone involved, but especially cadets, to wear the trousers "down", with black street shows, unless they are involved in field operations.  That would allow everyone to wear street shoes for normal meetings and drill.  As it is painfully pointed out on a regular basis, the majority of our cadets are
not involved in ES, so the majority would never need to purchase boot at all.

What does 39-1 says about blousing and boots?

Flyer

CAPM 39-1, Table 4-6 item 10 regarding the BBDU/field uniform:

10. White t-shirts and any style plain black shoe or boot may be worn. Trousers do not have to be bloused
into boots. If not bloused the drawstring at the bottom of trouser leg should be removed.

CAPM 39-1, Table 2-3, regarding BDU trouser blousing:

Cotton and nylon twill or rip stop cotton camouflage pattern (woodland
green) with button front closure, strap ankle adjustment, and six
pockets. Blouse trousers over combat boots. Material of shirt and
trousers must match.

Took me under a minute to locate. People, do your own darn research.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

okeecap

The H/W standards for JROTC instructors is a joke.  The two instructor at the local high school look like John Candy and his twin in dress blues.

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on November 19, 2012, 12:00:52 PM
Quote from: Lab Lover on November 19, 2012, 01:28:03 AM

AFJROTC is part of AFOATS and is more directly controlled by the USAF. Additionally, all instructors are retired USAF Officers and NCOs. They are also school employees, but definitely have the backing to wear their uniforms and have good reason to do it correctly. All of their instructors are required to maintain H/W and Grooming standards in order to continue to wear their AF uniforms. So that's how they're different.

Luis R. Ramos

Garibaldi-

Sorry, did not mean I did not want to do a search, this question was meant for Eclipse only. My recall was that you cannot wear dress shoes with BDUs. Only combat boots, bloused. The question of "what does 39-1 say" was meant for him, because he posted wear of shoes with BDUs. Unless I misread his post. This surprises me as he is usually more conservative.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

Майор Хаткевич

I think he meant that we might as well allow it. Not that we do.

Luis R. Ramos

I see, you interpret his post that NHQ should relax the BDU regs to allow this to happen.

I believe our CAP careers will be well finished, I think, before 39-1 gets revised. In other words, wearing shoes with BDUs? Not in my lifetime.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: flyer333555 on November 19, 2012, 07:49:48 PM
I see, you interpret his post that NHQ should relax the BDU regs to allow this to happen.

Blousing is not required for the blue field uniform, nor is it necessary for any uniform unless you're working in the field.

I was suggesting that regardless of uniform choice, boots are not necessary for the majority of CAP meetings and activities,
which would reduce the cost overall, especially for growing cadets.

I would suggest this regardless of the uniform choice, but it could also be a motivator in the vein of the airborne where
only those qualified can wear bloused pants.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: flyer333555 on November 19, 2012, 07:43:17 PM
Garibaldi-

Sorry, did not mean I did not want to do a search, this question was meant for Eclipse only. My recall was that you cannot wear dress shoes with BDUs. Only combat boots, bloused. The question of "what does 39-1 say" was meant for him, because he posted wear of shoes with BDUs. Unless I misread his post. This surprises me as he is usually more conservative.

Flyer
Apololgies. But you know as well as I do how many people ask questions here when they could do a quick search themselves, so sorry for jumping the gun here.

Yeah, that's a weird one for Eclipse. The only footwear AUTHORIZED for BDUs is combat boots. I'm honestly surprised that he advocated wearing street shoes when he specifically went AGAINST that in a previous thread somewhere back, if memory serves.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: flyer333555 on November 19, 2012, 07:49:48 PM
I believe our CAP careers will be well finished, I think, before 39-1 gets revised.

I think my life will be finished before 39-1 gets revised...and I'm 46 years old.  I don't know what the average life expectancy is but I expect another (God willing) 20 years or so before I punt out.

You know the old saying "everything happens for a reason (except for trashing the CSU, of course)?"  In this case, there would have to be a reason for the powers that be to want to go through the time, effort and expense of revising 39-1, especially having to go to the Air Force for permission for various things.  I don't see the will to do that.

I think that CAP leadership is comfortable with the status quo, and at most all we are going to see is a very tiny tweak here and there; i.e., a standardised source for grey trousers and maybe blazers, and absolutely NO change to the AF uniform.  But to have a uniform that is well-liked among more of the CAP membership the way the CSU was?  They've already demonstrated their concern for what the membership wants and doesn't want on that front.

I have a full, minimum-change (other than colours) uniform proposal but why waste time sending it up the chain when it's 99.99999% sure it'll end up in someone's CS file?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: Garibaldi on November 19, 2012, 08:19:50 PMYeah, that's a weird one for Eclipse. The only footwear AUTHORIZED for BDUs is combat boots. I'm honestly surprised that he advocated wearing street shoes when he specifically went AGAINST that in a previous thread somewhere back, if memory serves.

Again, the context of the answer was in the response about the cost of ABUs, and the contention they are cheaper then the blue field uniform,
which they aren't by a mile.

I've got no issue with street shoes for the blue field uniform at a normal activity, unit meeting, or maybe even base staff.  They look somewhat bizarre, but mainly because we're so used to the bloused look with those pants.

Yes, the only thing authorized for camo BDUs, today, is black boots, the suggestion was that if we're discussing cost / function in regards to
uniform changes, then the average member, especially cadets, would be better served wearing black street shoes instead of boots.  The risk of injury
would be lower, drill would be easier, and the costs would be much lower if not zero.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on November 19, 2012, 08:32:21 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on November 19, 2012, 08:19:50 PMYeah, that's a weird one for Eclipse. The only footwear AUTHORIZED for BDUs is combat boots. I'm honestly surprised that he advocated wearing street shoes when he specifically went AGAINST that in a previous thread somewhere back, if memory serves.

Again, the context of the answer was in the response about the cost of ABUs, and the contention they are cheaper then the blue field uniform,
which they aren't by a mile.

I've got no issue with street shoes for the blue field uniform at a normal activity, unit meeting, or maybe even base staff.  They look somewhat bizarre, but mainly because we're so used to the bloused look with those pants.

Yes, the only thing authorized for camo BDUs, today, is black boots, the suggestion was that if we're discussing cost / function in regards to
uniform changes, then the average member, especially cadets, would be better served wearing black street shoes instead of boots.  The risk of injury
would be lower, drill would be easier, and the costs would be much lower if not zero.

Disagree with your drill point. I tried drilling in civilian shoes. It's worse, much worse. The soles of combat boots and low quarters are more conducive to the movements involved, while street shoes or tennis shoes are not. Plus, injury? I can't see where that would be an issue. Cadets don't run their mile in combat boots anymore. They are really forbidden to do hijinks that would cause injury while in uniform. The design of the combat boot was to mitigate against sprains, I believe, and gives the whole foot support against that sort of injury, but it does happen.

I agree with the cost issue. Using shoes you have on hand or can purchase at Wal-Mart for less than $20 is a plus point.

Eclipse

Quote from: Garibaldi on November 19, 2012, 08:53:04 PMPlus, injury? I can't see where that would be an issue. Cadets don't run their mile in combat boots anymore. They are really forbidden to do hijinks that would cause injury while in uniform. The design of the combat boot was to mitigate against sprains, I believe, and gives the whole foot support against that sort of injury, but it does happen.

Yes, they are.

I'd suggest reviewing the 78's after summer activities.  Cadets are prohibited from many things, and they do them anyway, seniors, too.
Whether it's playing sports in boots, running up and down stairs, or improper fit - a lot of avoidable mishaps are caused because of boots.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: SARDOC on November 19, 2012, 03:52:25 PM
Quote from: okeecap on November 19, 2012, 04:35:28 AM
The old school khakis does sound like a good idea.  Could not confuse us for any one else then.

Especially now that the Navy has announced they are getting rid of the Dress Khaki's

Then we, CAP should pick up the khaki, because we do not need more unemployment in the USA.

SarDragon

Dress khaki, with the coat and tie, is what's going away (again). The rest of the khaki uniforms aren't going anywhere. It's a major distinguishing feature between doers and leaders.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: SarDragon on November 20, 2012, 02:11:28 AM
Dress khaki, with the coat and tie, is what's going away (again). The rest of the khaki uniforms aren't going anywhere. It's a major distinguishing feature between doers and leaders.

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SARDOC

Quote from: SarDragon on November 20, 2012, 02:11:28 AM

Yes and no.  Everybody wears the Khaki Shirt now...Just the Pants and the Garrison Caps are different.  In the Dark...Enlisted Sailors look like they might be Marines.   Oh the Humanity!   That's right I said it.   

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: SARDOC on November 20, 2012, 05:05:19 AM
Yes and no.  Everybody wears the Khaki Shirt now...Just the Pants and the Garrison Caps are different.  In the Dark...Enlisted Sailors look like they might be Marines.   Oh the Humanity!   That's right I said it.

Puts a new spin on "low-light/at-a-distance," doesn't it?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011